meadowbank thistle V Heart of Midlothian

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I doubt if a defeat here would really put third back in doubt. Will Livi hit the 60+ points threshold that we almost certainly will? Probably not. It would sour things with a game against Rangers next up, however, and would probably make Livi favourites for fourth spot.

The above team will also probably be a goer, though perhaps still with Gino in and Grant on the bench. Grant could still 'come good', but if a third red card of the season has his name on it, then this could be the fixture.

It would leave us 4 points ahead of Livi with them having a home game v Dundee United in hand. I'd still fancy us but can't say it's done if it gets down to a 1 point gap.

On the other hand, if we win and open up a 9/10 point gap, we're looking at wrapping it up by the split again. Quite a turnaround considering this time one month ago we were 4th and Gordon and Halkett had just been crippled.

39 minutes ago, DC92 said:

It would leave us 4 points ahead of Livi with them having a home game v Dundee United in hand. I'd still fancy us but can't say it's done if it gets down to a 1 point gap.

On the other hand, if we win and open up a 9/10 point gap, we're looking at wrapping it up by the split again. Quite a turnaround considering this time one month ago we were 4th and Gordon and Halkett had just been crippled.

If we do win on Sunday, hopefully we keep our foot on the accelerator and get as many points on the board as possible. While understandable, it can be frustrating when it's all wrapped up and performances dip.

Our points total last season was picked up on as being fewer than sides in previous seasons who finished third, forgetting the fact we eased off because it was done so early, and could simply focus on the cup final.

This will certainly be our toughest game since St Mirren away, I could potentially see a similar result in this one but am going to go for a Hearts win as we are absolutely on fire at the minute, going for a 0-1 win, 

Clark

Hill Sibbick Rowles

Smith Devlin Snodric Cochrane 

Grant

Gino Shankland

I'm still raging about the clear foul in the buildup should've been down to 9 men 97th minute equaliser last time out.

Hearts have sorted their shit out and seem to be a decent unit atm, although they weren't in bad form when we last played in November.

1-1, and VAR to remind us all why it's a giant pile of shite and make me long for the halycon days of last season when it wasn't here.

11 hours ago, Elixir said:

Our points total last season was picked up on as being fewer than sides in previous seasons who finished third, forgetting the fact we eased off because it was done so early, and could simply focus on the cup final.

I'm quite happy for our rivals to kid themselves into false security with stuff like this. It was quite right to take the foot off the gas last season to prepare for the cup final, get players back from niggles etc. And hopefully we're in the position to do it again this year. I reckon we'll have a double-figure cushion by the end. Have done all along, to be honest. We're fucking magic.

This game kinda feels like a free hit to me. Hearts evidently better than Aberdeen and the rest. We are bound to receive a doing at some point but at home I always fancy us to be competitive. Sounds like Nouble still missing so I’m going for a Steven Bradley hatrick.

..and you’re right. We are crying out for a Lawrence Penalty Shankland. The question is whether his Hearts scoring record will be annotated with “post-VAR”? Wee Robbo must be raging!

Livvy press well and too often we start games playing it out far too slowly, which would be a problem here.  It's a hard game though our overall record there is good and should be another big Hearts support which helps.

Team looks settled but i'd want more energy in the middle of the park to counter Livvy's workrate, cause Snodgrass will get pressed relentlessly

1 hour ago, crispy said:

This game kinda feels like a free hit to me. Hearts evidently better than Aberdeen and the rest. We are bound to receive a doing at some point but at home I always fancy us to be competitive. Sounds like Nouble still missing so I’m going for a Steven Bradley hatrick.

..and you’re right. We are crying out for a Lawrence Penalty Shankland. The question is whether his Hearts scoring record will be annotated with “post-VAR”? Wee Robbo must be raging!

Robbo was also the penalty taker; maybe not always, but he was also lethal from the spot

His overall goals record is very safe; he wants Shankland to bang them in, no doubt; Pure PHM & Hearts legend

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

How highly do Livi fans rate Bruce Anderson, btw?

I personally rate him highly, there's not been any talk of him leaving but from what I gather if we were to receive a bid we'd be looking for a Dykes level fee of 1.5-2m. He's a natural goalscorer with really good link up play, he was (I think) 1 or 2 shy of getting our most top flight goals in one season last time. That was with missing the last 2 months or so of the season.

Even better is the fact that Aberdeen essentially paid us to take him. We got something like 75k + Bruce for an out of contract JET (who they released a year later)

Edited by ATLIS

Tough game. If we are ready to compete from the start rather than try to ease our way into the game I think we might win a narrow game. Start slowly, as mentioned elsewhere and it's asking for trouble.

Temptation is to try and keep exactly the same team that's been winning but I think we may make a couple of changes. Hill might be forced out with concussion protocols, so Kingsley can come in for him. I'd bring Grant in for McKay and get an extra body central to help out Snodgrass and allow Devlin to press higher up.  Would love to see Humphrys start too but you can't be dropping Gino or Shankland in current form.

1 hour ago, Craigie Jambo said:

Robbo was also the penalty taker; maybe not always, but he was also lethal from the spot

His overall goals record is very safe; he wants Shankland to bang them in, no doubt; Pure PHM & Hearts legend

In the era when players move clubs so often it's hard to imaging anyone ever racking up 500 appearances for Hearts again never mind equalling his goal tally.

His 31 goals in 1987-88 is still there to be beaten although Shankland just might do it

The fuss about Shankland hitting 20 this season isn't that he's surpassed Robbo it's that he's the first Hearts Number 9 to even come this close in a generation 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 hours ago, Craigie Jambo said:

In the 20 Goal season 91-92 He took 5 penalties and scored 4 of them

2 hours ago, Craigie Jambo said:

In the era when players move clubs so often it's hard to imaging anyone ever racking up 500 appearances for Hearts again never mind equalling his goal tally.

His 31 goals in 1987-88 is still there to be beaten although Shankland just might do it (Robbo scored 11/12 from the spoot that time)

The fuss about Shankland hitting 20 this season isn't that he's surpassed Robbo it's that he's the first Hearts Number 9 to even come this close in a generation 

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/hnews/allhpens.html

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The fuss about Shankland hitting 20 this season isn't that he's surpassed Robbo it's that he's the first Hearts Number 9 to even come this close in a generation 

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/hnews/allhpens.html

Kyle Lafferty came pretty close five seasons ago.

17 hours ago, DC92 said:

Aye i'd love for us to make it a 3rd v 4th battle all the way with Hearts, like we did when we pipped Aberdeen to 3rd way back in 2002, can't see it right enough as Hearts should get 3rd with ease.

Always an outside chance with Martindale's Livi though, so here's hoping he can pull off another  miracle. If we got Nouble back playing with Anderson it would help big time, Nouble is a handful for any defence, and Anderson is a natural finisher. An in form Anderson playing off Nouble would be intoxicating to watch for the run in to the season.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER