The Ton v. The Struggling Smokie-Lichties, 28-1-23

1 hour ago, Toby said:

What the f*ck are you talking about?

Since he came in; Barclay, Wilson, Schwake, O’Connor, Grimshaw, Baird, Gillespie, Crawford and Quitongo can all be described as successes, with Ambrose’s form only suffering in recent weeks.

Roy, Miller and Oakley are just in the door, and the jury’s well and truly out on Pignatiello but beyond that, the only failure has been Kabia.

Another appalling take, hot on the heels of your conspiracy theories about the Celtic game on the Morton forum last night.

True, I just think its led Dougie to think he can do the same with every signing he makes, but I’m sure he’ll learn from it. Having said that, I won’t complain if he repeats this tendency one more time this transfer window, and signs a former Hamilton player who’s just been released by Celtic. 

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I can’t help thinking Dougie’s a very good coach but loses the plot a bit when put in charge of recruitment. He seems to believe he’ll get a tune out of players who’ve fallen away from previous prominence or potential for various reasons. Top managers have done that in the past with the likes of Ballotelli, but normally it’s just one player they try that experiment with. Dougie seems to be trying it with every signing he makes. He’s even started trying it with players like Roy, who never had potential in the first place to “recapture”. I’m afraid he’s taken the club’s funds and invested them in a bit of an ego trip which has had the opposite effect than intended, flooding the squad with new signings of equal or worse ability than those who got us challenging at the top so recently. If only he could’ve used those funds to upgrade our midfield with one player of higher quality than what we have, that would’ve put us in a better position rather than a worse one.

Jesus actually wept…

Imrie’s made some mistakes - what manager in their first job hasn’t? - but, as has already been pointed out, recruitment is not even remotely the main problem.

Team selection and use of subs have been worrying over recent games, including yesterday; missing Strapp and Gillespie is clearly a big problem, but he compounded that by making changes he didn’t have to (if Gus MacPherson had played Calvin Miller and Robbie Muirhead on the right in successive defeats to the bottom two, we’d have crucified him). And losing a half-time lead at home is a big worry, because that’s as much down to attitude and competitiveness as it is personnel.

He needs to get back to fundamentals with team selection: Miller to left back to cover Strapp, Grimshaw back where he belongs, Efe back in along with Gillespie, Quitongo down the right, Muirhead to the bench.

The one bit of your post I agree with is that we desperately need something else in midfield: still hopeful we’ll get it this week (and Blues can have a long overdue sit doon).

50 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Jesus actually wept…

Imrie’s made some mistakes - what manager in their first job hasn’t? - but, as has already been pointed out, recruitment is not even remotely the main problem.

Team selection and use of subs have been worrying over recent games, including yesterday; missing Strapp and Gillespie is clearly a big problem, but he compounded that by making changes he didn’t have to (if Gus MacPherson had played Calvin Miller and Robbie Muirhead on the right in successive defeats to the bottom two, we’d have crucified him). And losing a half-time lead at home is a big worry, because that’s as much down to attitude and competitiveness as it is personnel.

He needs to get back to fundamentals with team selection: Miller to left back to cover Strapp, Grimshaw back where he belongs, Efe back in along with Gillespie, Quitongo down the right, Muirhead to the bench.

The one bit of your post I agree with is that we desperately need something else in midfield: still hopeful we’ll get it this week (and Blues can have a long overdue sit doon).

I’m optimistic that Dougie will learn from this, as you say it’s his first management job so it’s not meant to be as harsh a criticism as it looks. Just making an observation on why I think we may have regressed recently. I hope my theory is proved wrong very soon!

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I can’t help thinking Dougie’s a very good coach but loses the plot a bit when put in charge of recruitment. He seems to believe he’ll get a tune out of players who’ve fallen away from previous prominence or potential for various reasons. Top managers have done that in the past with the likes of Ballotelli, but normally it’s just one player they try that experiment with. Dougie seems to be trying it with every signing he makes. He’s even started trying it with players like Roy, who never had potential in the first place to “recapture”. I’m afraid he’s taken the club’s funds and invested them in a bit of an ego trip which has had the opposite effect than intended, flooding the squad with new signings of equal or worse ability than those who got us challenging at the top so recently. If only he could’ve used those funds to upgrade our midfield with one player of higher quality than what we have, that would’ve put us in a better position rather than a worse one.

Are you for real?

4 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I’m optimistic that Dougie will learn from this, as you say it’s his first management job so it’s not meant to be as harsh a criticism as it looks. Just making an observation on why I think we may have regressed recently. I hope my theory is proved wrong very soon!

Already been proved wrong, though, hasn’t it?

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought he was poor. Very wasteful with the Bitsin ball. Much prefer him as a CB 

If we are going to play with 4 or 5 forward thinking players then we also need a strong holding midfielder and Bitsindou is the man for that job. Its not all about pretty football at this level. He is doing just fine and hopefully he will get even better.

Not a dig at Morton at all but I wish we could play you more often. I couldn’t remember the last time you beat us so I had a look back at our head-to-head.

The last time Morton beat Arbroath was a 2-1 win over 3 years ago on 4 January 2020. We’ve played 11 times since then with Arbroath winning 5 and 6 draws.

Having said that, they tend to be very close games with only our 3-0 win in April last year being a win by more than a goal for either team going back 15 games to October 2019.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Already been proved wrong, though, hasn’t it?

No really as he was building a team then and now he’s disrupting that same team. I feel that some of the great successes he’s had in resurrecting players’ careers have made him use the generous funds he’s been given to go for underperforming players in the belief he’ll continue in that vein, then thrusting them straight into the team at the expense of some of our better performers, rather than sign one or two players of better quality than what we have. If we could recently afford to sign Griffiths or Cifti, then why all of a sudden bring in a waft of similar or lower quality, rather than a couple of quality additions such as Josh Mullin and James Mc Carthy?

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

No really as he was building a team then and now he’s disrupting that same team. I feel that some of the great successes he’s had in resurrecting players’ careers have made him use the generous funds he’s been given to go for underperforming players in the belief he’ll continue in that vein, then thrusting them straight into the team at the expense of some of our better performers, rather than sign one or two players of better quality than what we have. If we could recently afford to sign Griffiths or Cifti, then why all of a sudden bring in a waft of similar or lower quality, rather than a couple of quality additions such as Josh Mullin and James Mc Carthy?

Not sure if you're at the wind-up here, but: a. Oakley is 'better quality than what we have', Miller might also end up in that category (and is at the very least a squad-strengthening signing); b. our budget is not getting us within a million miles of the likes of Mullin or McCarthy.

In general, this idea of bundling up funds to get a higher quality player means you can theoretically 'afford' to sign a player who... won't come to Morton.

Kerr McInroy on loan, on the other hand...

12 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Not sure if you're at the wind-up here, but: a. Oakley is 'better quality than what we have', Miller might also end up in that category (and is at the very least a squad-strengthening signing); b. our budget is not getting us within a million miles of the likes of Mullin or McCarthy.

In general, this idea of bundling up funds to get a higher quality player means you can theoretically 'afford' to sign a player who... won't come to Morton.

Kerr McInroy on loan, on the other hand...

I’d be happy with McInroy!