The Ton v. The Struggling Smokie-Lichties, 28-1-23

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Muirhead on the right of a 4-3-3 makes more sense than a 4-4-2 with any of Blues/Crawford/Grimshaw on the right of midfield, but it's still eyebrow raising when Quitongo and McGrattan are on the bench.

Glad to see Pignatiello get a chance again, and I assume last week made it too many Efe moments in a short space of time for Imrie not to lose patience regardless of the calibre of opposition.

Update: it was not, in fact, good to see Pignatiello get a chance again

I guess it’s our turn for the team on a bad run this is getting embarrassing now king and Carlo were absolutely rotten where’s the passing gone? Lumping it up the park every chance it’s horrible football to watch from both teams why would you pay £22 to watch that mince 

Peaked with our one good piece of football after 3 minutes. Absolutely bullied for the majority of the rest of the game, which is something you can't say about us normally. 

Arbroath comfortably deserved their win. 

Arbroath's winning goal was the least they deserved from that game and the second half in particular: a fully deserved and quite comfortable victory in the end.

A lack of confidence spread through the Morton team like the plague in the second half - and no wonder. Pigniatello at right back is just out of his depth at this level and was treating the ball like a live grenade. King at left back started the move for our goal by winning a high ball he was 30-70 to get to through determination, but his performance quickly went downhill from there. That left us effectively playing with nine reliable players, and then fewer as we made no progress and the heads dropped. Grimshaw was the only player who showed quality for us but he was making inexplicable errors by the end too.

You need to take players who are having a stinker off the pitch. That should be the lesson that Imrie has to take from that game. 

While the midfield barely won a second ball, it's also notable that there was a literally enormous gulf in physicality between them and Arbroath's. We cannot have a bunch of wee runners and then not press effectively. 

The surplus of hammer-throwers* also meant that Arbroath worked out that they could use one to block or mark Oakley and a spare to sweep up every single high ball in the second half. 

* in the entirely correct, David Irons approach to winning Scottish football games 

Arbroath absolutely deserved to win that.

Disgraceful performance all round from us. King and Pignatiello were garbage. Blues has always been garbage, and that was the Robbie Muirhead of old. As good as he's been under Dougie it's absolutely ridiculous that he's played over 100 times for us.

Grimshaw was the only one getting pass marks for me but even he joined in the fucking circus at the end.

Thought Adarkwa was immense and could end up being the difference for us. What a goal Mikey McKenna. 

Don't think anyone had a bad game I think the way we set up in the first half really did not suit us so don’t want to give anyone a hard time. 

Feel like Bitsindou looked a bit like a lost puppy in there though and I’d like to see Gold or Steven Hetherington in there instead. 

We were totally bullied by Arbroath and they deserved it in the end. 

We got off to a perfect start with a well worked goal scored by Oakley who looks a decent option up front.

Pignatiello performance baffled me. He gets dropped for most of the season and finally gets his chance and makes a complete arse of it. I doubt we'll see him play again as Dougie looked totally scunnered with him when he was subbed.

We ran out of ideas and just were not in it at all. A very bad day at the office...

Scored early on then reverted to 85 minutes of whatever the feck that was meant to be. Second to every loose ball and once Arbroath equalised it was obvious what was going to happen. Too many aimless balls and punts to Gaston.

Our performance was summed up in the moment when Pignatello tried to chuck away a 3rd from the re-start right after we went 2-1 down. 

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Glad to see Pignatiello get a chance again, and I assume last week made it too many Efe moments in a short space of time for Imrie not to lose patience regardless of the calibre of opposition.

Well your ratings are going down just like our league position.

Carlo was very poor, no cover at back for first which was a dragged wide shot.

Not around for the second.

Nearly fell asleep giving away a third, just as well McKenna was also sleeping.

No idea what Dougie was up to with the team today. Has Lithgow left or just sick today?

O'Connor is all right foot so no use at left of Baird in the center. Maybe should have been our right back today.

King was exposed and sadly showed his lack of experience, by being out of position frequently, still a project in progress.

A comic part today was Blues being left to mark Adwarkwa at corners and set pieces. I dare say the chat was "what's the weather like up there mate" 

As for our new starts can't see any upgrades only a numbers increase which I dare say was needed but is not the promised land.

Arbroath were sadly well worth the win today. Don't know if Bitindou and Adarkwa are new lone signings but ruled the roost today.

There is a need to reset and get back to winning games but not with that eleven, ps Grimshaw was very good in midfield in the first half before McKenna upped his game second period. 

Apart from Cove looks like Arbroath and Hamilton are coming for us, glad we banked a few points before Christmas.