The Ton v. The Struggling Smokie-Lichties, 28-1-23

Need a win here to get our playoff aspirations back on track and build up some momentum again.  If we go 5 without  a win, we are in  danger of falling into midtable obscurity. 

I'd be inclined to throw Oakley straight in. Muirhead hasnt looked up to much in recent weeks. Oakley seems buzzing with his move and has played recently so will be match fit. Lets chuck him in and see what he can do. We have options up top now with 6 ( 7 if we include Garrity) fighting it out for 3 positions so a stronger bench than we had a few weeks back.  Ideally id be looking for another midfielder to join us this month as Crawford, Blues and Gillespie have little competition. 

With Gillespie suspended,  can see Grimshaw moving into midfield like he did at Parkhead, replaced by O'Connor or  Pignatiello. i Don't think Blues has been great recently either so would be happy to see McGrattan or King come in, potentially move Crawford back but i don't Dougie will drop him.

Schwake

Pignatiello Ambrose Baird Strapp.

Blues   Grimshaw.

Crawford.

Quitongo                               Miller

Oakley.

Bench- Green, Lithgow, O'Connor, King, Roy, McGrattan, Garrity, Muirhead

Arbroath appear to be in a better place than they were a few weeks back, picking up 2 good results on the road. Difficult game but one we should be looking to win.

3-1.

I’d take a win of any kind here to keep any playoff aspirations alive. I don’t know if Oakley will start, but he hasn’t been shy about throwing new signings in from the off. I’d certainly bring McGrattan in though.

I suspect we'll see Grimshaw into midfield and O'Connor at right back with King replacing Strapp if he's out and that's why we had the subs we did at Parkhead, but if Strapp isn't fit I'd be happier seeing Miller moved to left back and McGrattan in on the left wing.

Certainly like to see McGrattan starting.  Every time I've seen him play and he gets subbed after an hour, we seem to get worse (usually replaced by Kabia, no departed).  I'd be inclined to drop Blues to the bench as he seems to be a bit anonymous at the moment.

Grimshaw looks a cert after Parkhead to go into the holding role, but will be interesting to see what Imrie does with the full-backs (assuming Strapp is injured). If O’Connor starts in front of Pignatiello at RB, you’d have to feel the latter’s days are numbered.

All eyes on centre-forward: Imrie’s previous suggests that Oakley will go straight in if fit.

As for Blues, if he’s going to drop out at some point, it’s not going to be on a day when Gillespie’s suspended. Must be a cert to play, no matter how underwhelming he’s been recently.

1 hour ago, Broath Boy said:

What’s the script with buying an away end ticket, website appears to be set up for buying home end tickets only, can you buy a ticket at the ground on day of match, cheers.

Buy Your Match Ticket At The Ticket Office Right Up Until Kick Off On Sinclair Street.. 

Did not see that team coming… if he’s starting Muirhead on the right in front of a fully-fit Quitongo (or even Roy or McGrattan), somebody needs to have a word.*

Spoiler

* If the Bonnie Prince cuts in onto his left foot and pings one into the top corner, I withdraw these remarks.

New look defence with Efe quite rightly dropped and Strapp injured. O'Connor comes in with Carlo starting at RB and King at LB.

Grimmy moves to midfield  with Gillespie suspended

Oakley starts up front with Jai on the bench. Would have started Jai and benched Miller.  Other than that, bring it on! 

Edited by Colkitto

Muirhead on the right of a 4-3-3 makes more sense than a 4-4-2 with any of Blues/Crawford/Grimshaw on the right of midfield, but it's still eyebrow raising when Quitongo and McGrattan are on the bench.

Glad to see Pignatiello get a chance again, and I assume last week made it too many Efe moments in a short space of time for Imrie not to lose patience regardless of the calibre of opposition.