Dundee v Queen’s Park

After the false dawn of the Scottish Cup excitement it’s back to the real business this week with a genuinely named, top-of-the-table clash. It’s a defining period for Queen’s. The two teams who have given us our heaviest defeats will be playing against us consecutively within 6 days. Won’t be the end of it if we lose both but it’ll certainly gives us a turbo boost if we won both.

I presumed Dundee would waltz this league, perhaps there’s still time, and certainly felt that way after the first game at Dens. Despite a thumping score at Somerset I’d say the first Dens match was our poorest overall performance so far in this league. A lot’s changed since then and one of the things I’m enjoying watching my favourites at the moment is that we know, regardless of opponent, they’ll play to win the game and in the best of styles. We should have full squad availability thanks to our enforced rest this weekend so a win is possible in a well matched game.

2-1 to The QP.

54 minutes ago, qpfc said:

I noticed a couple of Dundee players subbed in the first half yesterday. Are they Likely to be out for the game ?

Tyler French has a broken leg so he’s probably out for the rest of the season.

I’d be hopeful of Cammy Kerr making this one though, even if he sits out the diddy cup game midweek. 

If you must know for your own excitement, we will be without French, McGowan and possibly Kerr due to injury (I would hope that whatever knock Williamson has will have gone down by the time this rolls around, if not Tuesday). Byrne's illness will be fine, and hopefully he's back to full training soon. If Tuesday's game goes ahead, Mulligan's suspension should be up for this game which is great for us. Fisher will also finally be available for us.

The wild card for us squad-wise is how many players we'll have brought in between now and Saturday. Bowyer has been slow in signings this January, but with the amount of outgoings we've had I fully expect this to be the busiest part of our window, otherwise we'll struggle to even fill the bench again most likely.

No doubt this is a key game for us, and Bowyer should have MUST WIN scrawled on the whiteboard for this (or at least after the 'next game' on Tuesday). Queen's Park really need to beat us this season if they're to truly open up a gap, I reckon. I still have plenty of confidence in our squad to take care of this game, but there's no doubt the pressure is starting to build. The worry for me is how much this extra game could take out of us, hopefully we're not going to take too many risks in a Challenge Cup QF of all things that might affect our league pursuit.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Generally not feeling too nervous going into this. Had it been the other way about and we were chasing Dundee at the top, I’d feel like we’d have to take something if were to make any genuine title charge. We’ve created a wee tiny gap which allows for a couple of poor results if they arise. For as tough as the next two league fixture look, it presents an incredible opportunity to be in pole position for the title. Worst case scenario we lose both games, we’re still going to be right in the mix.

What’s clear and somewhat reassuring is that the teams around us are all capable of producing a daft result every now and again. Dundee losing to Arbroath at home, Morton losing to Hamilton, Ayr dropping points at home to Arbroath etc. We seem to have a level of consistency just now but we need to start beating the teams around us. I don’t think we’ll win the league if we go through the season without beating either Ayr and Dundee. I still think Dundee are the best team I’ve seen this season so I’d be more than satisfied with a draw followed by a win against Ayr. 

Edited by qpfc

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If Tuesday's game goes ahead, Mulligan's suspension should be up for this game which is great for us.

His remaining suspension is a league game, so he can play Tuesday if it goes ahead but will miss Saturday regardless. 

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I thought it was any SPFL game, but fair enough if so... and by fair enough, I mean "Shite!"

The suspension was two first team matches in any competition (Arbroath and Raith), then one first team league game (should have been Partick; will now be this game assuming it goes ahead). 

Dundee are expected to win the league. We’re not. Every single bit of pressure is on them. Hopefully we can go out and play with the freedom we have been in recent times. We’re certainly capable of getting a result, but goes without saying that it’ll be an incredibly difficult game.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Should you no be called Kings Park now?

Well, seeing as you asked…King’s Park FC were a Stirling team owned by Tom Fergusson, a coal merchant. During WW2 a new league, the Midland league was being formed and KP were invited to join. However, the league collapsed when a team called Dundee FC refused to join. Full of their big city importance, Dundee barons felt this league was below them. 

KPFC was subsequently wound up under curious circumstances and Fergusson put his resources into a new club called Stirling Albion. The Albion name was borrowed from Fergusson’s coal lorries which were lined up to form a stand for the first games. Or so the story goes. Albion fans , depending on their current political persuasion, might prefer this to be the true version.

So, naw!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Well, seeing as you asked…King’s Park FC were a Stirling team owned by Tom Fergusson, a coal merchant. During WW2 a new league, the Midland league was being formed and KP were invited to join. However, the league collapsed when a team called Dundee FC refused to join. Full of their big city importance, Dundee barons felt this league was below them. 

KPFC was subsequently wound up under curious circumstances and Fergusson put his resources into a new club called Stirling Albion. The Albion name was borrowed from Fergusson’s coal lorries which were lined up to form a stand for the first games. Or so the story goes. Albion fans , depending on their current political persuasion, might prefer this to be the true version.

So, naw!

How many coal lorries can we park on the north side and beside the "Royal Box" at Lesser?