Past goals that would have ruled out (or in!) if VAR was in place

Was going to say a penalty that Celtic got at East End when Paul Lambert dived while outside the box but a penalty was given (I think we were 1-0 up at the time) but I suspect the VAR would say there was no clear and obvious error and allow the original decision to stand. 

Hibs scored against us the last time we were in the top flight (it might have been the game that confirmed our relegation actually) that was live on Sky. Shot from distance hit the bar and bounced out about a yard from the line but it was given anyway. Wouldn't have made much difference (think we lost 4-1) but seemed typical of the luck we "enjoyed" that season.

That Sandison handball in the 1991 Skol Cup semi final was a stonewall penalty though. Not sure where this myth of hitting his chest outside the box started... 🙄 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Lol there was a near carbon copy handball  that one wasnt given 

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

I found it strange for a Hearts fan to be posting this but then I remember they like a fib.

Speaking of fibs, here's that carbon copy handball:

https://youtu.be/snyp92qwKUQ&t=123m28s

Edouard’s handball goal against us at Celtic park in 2019 probably the most obvious candidate that should’ve went in our favour in big matches relatively recently.

The cup final Julien goal a couple of weeks beforehand was another controversial one, although it does seem rather impossible to tell if he was definitely off from the footage available.

Edited by AJF

Russell Anderson scored in injury time using his hand to salvage a point for Aberdeen at Fir Park during the 2013/14 season, the ref Steven MacLean was looking right at it.

Going into the final game of the season it was Aberdeen vs Motherwell at Pittodrie, Aberdeen only needed a draw to secure the 2nd place finish but Motherwell would leapfrog them if they won. Going into injury time Keith Lasley hit a free kick from around the half way line, the planets aligned as John Sutton beat Jamie Langfield in the air as Lasley's free kick bounced then hit the bar, Mark Reynolds blocked an effort on the line by the Dons and just as ref Steven MacLean was about to award a penalty, Craig Reid bundled a deserved winner home. We always get told decisions balance out over the season, it was nice to see it actually happen after the events of the other fixture.

23280137.jpg.article-962.jpg.68e8cbc433ef56ae6d06ebecf0db9144.jpg

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

The cup final Julien goal a couple of weeks beforehand was another controversial one, although it does seem rather impossible to tell if he was definitely off from the footage available.

I had never seen that goal before, but I just had a look at it and I think Julien was actually offside. Looks like he was beyond the last defender when the ball was played in.

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I had never seen that goal before, but I just had a look at it and I think Julien was actually offside. Looks like he was beyond the last defender when the ball was played in.

It looked a mile off at the match, but when you see the replays there’s some doubt as to where Helander is positioned. I reckon VAR probably would’ve ruled it out

19 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

Russell Anderson scored in injury time using his hand to salvage a point for Aberdeen at Fir Park during the 2013/14 season, the ref Steven MacLean was looking right at it.

Going into the final game of the season it was Aberdeen vs Motherwell at Pittodrie, Aberdeen only needed a draw to secure the 2nd place finish but Motherwell would leapfrog them if they won. Going into injury time Keith Lasley hit a free kick from around the half way line, the planets aligned as John Sutton beat Jamie Langfield in the air as Lasley's free kick bounced then hit the bar, Mark Reynolds blocked an effort on the line by the Dons and just as ref Steven MacLean was about to award a penalty, Craig Reid bundled a deserved winner home. We always get told decisions balance out over the season, it was nice to see it actually happen after the events of the other fixture.

23280137.jpg.article-962.jpg.68e8cbc433ef56ae6d06ebecf0db9144.jpg

As the ball comes into the box the order of events is penalty for pulling back big Hutchy, possible obstruction on the keeper, penalty for hand ball on the line, GOAL.  VAR would have taken all day then either awarded the penalty or the goal.

26 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Couple of John hartson goals v deadco. 

At ibrox 2002 and equalising goal in 2003 cup final 

I didn't realise who'd posted that so I expected the onside goal to stand and us to be expected to be outraged by Larson getting the benefit of the doubt on the  handball in the lead up to it.

It would probably take VAR about 5 minutes to decide that one

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I didn't realise who'd posted that so I expected the onside goal to stand and us to be expected to be outraged by Larson getting the benefit of the doubt on the  handball in the lead up to it.

It would probably take VAR about 5 minutes to decide that one

Handball?? What clip you watching??

40 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Couple of John hartson goals v deadco. 

At ibrox 2002 and equalising goal in 2003 cup final 

08C0852B-0422-4BA5-B970-6F1BDD33CE75.jpeg

John Hartson should honestly be an absolute gift to linesmen for telling if he's offside or not the guy couldn't run faster than 6mph ffs

On 21/01/2023 at 18:23, velo army said:

Damian fucking Casilanuovo diving like superman to punch the ball over the line. Genuinely haven't been that seething at a goal being given in my life. b*****d.

It is amazing the wee things you forget when your team goes on to kiss silver while for others it is burned in the memory.

_47074469_casalinuovo_goal_466b_sns (1).jpg

Edited by Sugar_Army

3 hours ago, gannonball said:

Ok but I don't think posting a game where they got more contentious decisions against them than for is the right way to be going about it tbh.

Pointing out that Celtic get offside goals in the last minute of semi-finals does nothing for you in terms of the issue of bias against Celtic.

This is the problem, you see.

I mean, a sane person would say that if bias existed, Celtic wouldn't get offside goals in the last minute of semi-finals when one down.

But, there we are.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Pointing out that Celtic get offside goals in the last minute of semi-finals does nothing for you in terms of the issue of bias against Celtic.

This is the problem, you see.

I mean, a sane person would say that if bias existed, Celtic wouldn't get offside goals in the last minute of semi-finals when one down.

But, there we are.

I'm not insinuating bias though, more pointing out its a pretty ridiculous game to show how badly done you were against us given on the face of it Hearts had the slightly better rub of the green in that game but anyway we will agree to disagree.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I'm not insinuating bias though, more pointing out its a pretty ridiculous game to show how badly done you were against us given on the face of it Hearts had the slightly better rub of the green in that game but anyway we will agree to disagree.

There's the Celtic mindset in action. You got a goal in the last minute of a semi that you were losing 1-0 that you shouldn't have got, yet the other team 'got the rub of the green'.

You're beyond help.

15 hours ago, Cloontang said:

We always get told decisions balance out over the season,

Always thought this was a lot of pish. Imagine you're 1-0 up over Celtic after eight minutes of stoppage time in a cup game and they get a dodgy penalty. A few weeks later you get a dodgy penalty of your own in a meaningless league game - does that 'balance out'?

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

Always thought this was a lot of pish. Imagine you're 1-0 up over Celtic after eight minutes of stoppage time in a cup game and they get a dodgy penalty. A few weeks later you get a dodgy penalty of your own in a meaningless league game - does that 'balance out'?

Yeah I would agree with you. That was the point I was trying to make at least, in our games against Aberdeen back then we were robbed of some precious points with seconds remaining at Fir Park but at the reverse game at Pittodrie in similar circumstances with the same ref, almost the last kick of the ball we managed to bundle home a controversial goal, one of those rare occasions things seemed balance out between two teams at least.