Past goals that would have ruled out (or in!) if VAR was in place

13 hours ago, ropy said:

Craigan knocks the ball in towards the back post, Ross Forbes comes from deep, follows it in and taps it over the line.  But it is against Rangers to go 2-0 up, and Motherwell don’t do that.  Goal given as offside, Craigan is raging at Forbes as his header was going in, Rangers score a late equaliser.

It wasn’t offside.

The most annoying thing was it was impossible for Forbes to actually be offside in that scenario.

It's unlikely that VAR would have been used at a decrepit City Park in the East of Scotland League but I'm still bitter about an Edinburgh City "goal" not given that Spartans keeper Mark Brown scooped out when it was 6 feet over the line.

David Syme gave a penalty to the Pars against Airdrie in the 1991 League Cup Semi Final which was outside the box. If not given Airdrie win, proceed to kick Hibs off the park in the Final, and win the cup.

Steven Craig’s extra time winner for us in the 2005/06 Scottish Cup quarter final replay would almost certainly have been ruled out for handball (1:39:17 in the video). 

Although Hamilton’s equaliser in normal time would likely have been ruled out for offside, so swings and circles (1:26:10 for the best angle). 

We don’t talk about what then happened in the semi-final. 

Edited by The Master

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

David Syme gave a penalty to the Pars against Airdrie in the 1991 League Cup Semi Final which was outside the box.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

...and involved the ball hitting a chest, not an arm.

Forget the name of the player involved but didn't he refuse to shake hands with Syme next time he refereed an Airdrie game?

I always laugh when Celtic fans try to go on about conspiracies against them, so here’s a couple for them:

Or this one where John Beaton refuses Saints’ Dave Mackay a stonewall penalty before awarding one against him minutes later for a Celtic dive, sending Mackay off for it. From 4:40 on.

Not a great angle here, but Jota tries to catch the ball with his hand in the build up to the Celtic goal in last season’s cup final, in a match where referee Nick Walsh was taking part in a sponsored book-as-many-Saints-players-as-you-can-athon. At 3:32

There’s the famous John O’Neil sending off one from years back, and a more recent one at McDiarmid where Danny Swanson is playing and we’re denied a certain penalty, I think Scott Brown was involved, but I can’t remember the year or score.  They all just merge into one.

It certainly does make you wonder how many league titles and cups St Johnstone would have won if it wasn’t for all the pro-old firm refereeing over the years…

Mark Hateley's 'goal' against Killie in the Scottish Cup semi-final replay 1994. Never over the line, and our 1-0 lead from a Tam Black thunderb*****d was wiped out, never to return.  

Thank heavens that VAR has now come in, and Killie will never ever have to suffer due to a dodgy decision at a key moment against one of those two in a semi-final ever again...

45 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I always laugh when Celtic fans try to go on about conspiracies against them, so here’s a couple for them:

Or this one where John Beaton refuses Saints’ Dave Mackay a stonewall penalty before awarding one against him minutes later for a Celtic dive, sending Mackay off for it. From 4:40 on.

Not a great angle here, but Jota tries to catch the ball with his hand in the build up to the Celtic goal in last season’s cup final, in a match where referee Nick Walsh was taking part in a sponsored book-as-many-Saints-players-as-you-can-athon. At 3:32

There’s the famous John O’Neil sending off one from years back, and a more recent one at McDiarmid where Danny Swanson is playing and we’re denied a certain penalty, I think Scott Brown was involved, but I can’t remember the year or score.  They all just merge into one.

It certainly does make you wonder how many league titles and cups St Johnstone would have won if it wasn’t for all the pro-old firm refereeing over the years…

Falkirk have had some belters against them too over the years.

• In the Jimmy Gilmour trundler game to stay up, a Celtic cross from the right wing hit full back Jim Kerr on the side, while he was outside the penalty area. Decision: PENALTY CELTIC

• Stephen McManus launched himself recklessly at Dean Holden, shattering his leg. Decision: NO RED CARD, NO YELLOW CARD, NO FOUL

• Stephen McManus clearly and obviously punched the ball into the Falkirk net. Decision: GOAL CELTIC

• Crawford Baptie outjumped Pat Bonner to nod in a cross, with no contact upon the keeper. Decision: CELTIC FOUL

• In the horrific 4-5 defeat in 92/93, Mick McCarthy was sent off for lamping Baptie. Forbes Johnstone was quickly sent off for apparently straying into the same postcode as a Celtic player. Peter Grant Snr (already booked) lost his composure as Celtic were losing and proceeded to commit approximately 3 offences worthy of a second yellow. The referee then trotted over to the Celtic dugout and suggested they might want to substitute him. Chaos and carnage ensued. Celtic scored the winner in injury time.

But all the referees are in conspiracy against them.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

In the spirit of Celtic and their oppression by the refs, here's a couple more.

Or Gary Hooper's offside equaliser in the 2012 cup semi. Fortunately justice was done and Hearts went on to win.