🔴🟡Thistle vs Hamilton Accies🔴⚪️ - 28/1/23

After 20 minutes it was more or less a question of whether Accies would win 1-0 or it would be 0-0, we were never scoring if we'd played til next Saturday. They deserved the points over the 90 minutes. 

Accies had the full backs pocketed, our centre mids can't play a forwards pass, and the only opening was Fitzpatrick who could beat 3 men but not find a final ball or shot. 

My only biased point is that I thought we had a stonewaller on Milne in the first half with a two handed shove in the back from a corner which was compounded by the ref giving a soft free kick when the Hamilton player brought the ball out of the box. 

We're not going up so need 9 more points for safety.

The distribution from Holt and Murihead generally found its man on most of the dozen or so occasions the ball was played; but for the time it takes them to gather the ball, get it out their feet, look up, and for the floated pass to meet its target, the opposition defence are already long settled and we're dependent on the wide player beating their man and firing a cross into a crowded box. Carry the fucking ball.

This is compounded by a creaky as f**k midfield 3 of Bannigan, Docherty and Hodson, which is hardly going to be offering incisive passes or bursting late runs into the box.

Nonetheless, I think we probably would have sclaffed a result with Brian Graham on the pitch instead of Danny Mullen, who showed why his role in the team ideally shouldn't be anything more than a runout in the final 10 minutes.

Edited by AMMjag

One way traffic first half with Accies woeful in attack and Thistle devoid of ideas minus the likes of Graham and Tiffoney.

The subs made by Rankin changed the game and every one of the new signings look like they will make the difference.

I heard a few groans from the Thistle support when  their young lads came on.Is this because they are not good enough or untried?

Speaking as an outsider,it has always puzzled me how Thistle don't prioritise the wealth of talent on their doorstep(Glasgow/Lanarkshire) over the years compared to the likes of Accies and Motherwell who have filled our teams/squads with youth and sold some for big money.

The current Accies Under 18's are a case in point Top of the Under 18 League,two games in hand,Semi-Final of The Youth Cup and the best crop of players since the McCarthy/McArthur,Easton etc era.

if only we could fast forward these boys we would not be in this mess.

We (or Colin Weir's Estate) have ploughed money into the Thistle Weir youth academy with very little return in terms of first team players , we made money from Fitzpatrick but he is back with us 3 years after leaving and not making it down south. Liam Lindsay was already in the youth system before the Weir setup and Kevin Nisbet didn't get his finger out until we released him. 

What seems to happen in the last couple of years is that any half decent youth player gets swiped before they're even close to the first team e.g. Cameron Cooper going to Rangers and there's some other lad at 15 who's supposedly off to an EPL / English championship team. The ones that don't get taken don't seem to be up to it. 

On yesterday's game, the Milne penalty shout i mentioned didn't even make the highlights so guess it couldn't have been that clear. There were two appeals in the second half for handball shown, the first definitely hit the defender's hand, but other than someone catching the ball with two hands or executing a volleyball spike I have no idea what constitutes a handball so don't know if it's a penalty. Second one I think hit the defender's head. 

We'd have missed any penalty given  most likely. 

First half was as one-sided a game as I can remember seeing this season without us having a really meaningful effort on goal. Rankin made some clever substitutions at half-time and Accies were a completely different force. As the game went on Accies looked the more likely to score the second goal of the game. We were absolutely pitiful.

I suspect that our finances will prevent us from doing so, but this would ordinarily be the perfect time to empty the charlatan that is McCall and his two hapless, full-time assistants. We’re not going up and we’re not going to go down, so in theory we could use the next 3-4 months planning for next season and where we want to be as a club long-term. Someone like Brian Graham taking the manager’s position on an interim basis.

We had a really decent chance of doing something this season and McCall has completely wasted it.

Accies fans must be feeling a lot better about their chances of staying up now, especially with Cove in free fall. In the 3 times I’ve watched you this season, you are far from the worst team in this league. 

Edited by Hammer Jag