Signs you are getting old…

TxRover

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I had my right done when I was 43 (11 years ago), too much sport my surgeon reckoned. It took about a year to be 100% for range of motion, but has been brilliant ever since.

Both knees and the other hip are now "showing signs" but I really dont want another op so concentrating on muscle exercises round the joints.

Good luck, keep doing the theraband exercises to build it up.

When do you know you need your hip replaced? What causes the need?

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I was playing a lot of squash at the time, and couldnt get 3 games in without feeling like I had a "groin strain".

When I couldnt walk 500 yards without more pain in the groin, I went to the GP who referred me - I had private medical at the time - and was assuming the referral would end up with some physio.

Just about shat my pants when the guy at Murrayfield hospital showed me the x-ray and gave me the bad news  😬

I have a hip resurfacing (a la Andy Murray), slightly shorter implant, better for younger / more active people.

Edited by Leith Green

When do you know you need your hip replaced?

Oh you'll fucking know alright. 

What causes the need?

Osteoarthritis in my case. It was far too fucked for resurfacing so full ceramic replacement job done just over a year ago. I'm 51 in May. 

I'm fine now. Been back at work six months and will be looking to get back out racing this year. 

I stand up to pee :) 

10 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I had my right done when I was 43 (11 years ago), too much sport my surgeon reckoned. It took about a year to be 100% for range of motion, but has been brilliant ever since.

Both knees and the other hip are now "showing signs" but I really dont want another op so concentrating on muscle exercises round the joints.

Good luck, keep doing the theraband exercises to build it up.

Thanks for the encouragement LG.  Since I posted my original comment about the surgery my hip is getting a lot better.  I’m now able to bend down to tie my laces!   I’ve been doing the extra exercises the physio provided and that’s definitely making a difference.

Like yourself my knees and other hip don’t feel too great and I know from a previous X-Ray I’ve got bad arthritis in my right knee.  I’m definitely going to hold off as long as possible before even considering knee replacement surgery though as the consultant said it was a far more complicated surgery (increasing the potential for things to go wrong) than a hip replacement.

7 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I had a kind of crunching feeling every now again in my hip as well as repeated pain in the groin area.  I genuinely thought I had testicular cancer at one point.  Other noticeable issues were I felt like I had lost power in the hip when walking up stairs, I struggled to move my right leg sufficiently to easily get in and out a car and I struggled to get my sock on my right foot (if only I lived in Miami and wore espadrilles 🤣)

The hip X-Ray showed my cartilage in the right hip was almost completely gone and there was a bit of bone on bone action taking place.