Signs you are getting old…

TxRover

44 minutes ago, shuggz said:

This^^....could go on the pish for the whole weekend and take a day to recover. Now one day out needs three days to feel right,

I find if I have one heavy night I'm fucked for a few days but if I have a few days jaked I feel very little ill effects.

11 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I find if I have one heavy night I'm fucked for a few days but if I have a few days jaked I feel very little ill effects.

I've noticed my hangovers changing too. I wake up the next morning fine, but over the course of the day the hangover builds up. By mid afternoon I am barely coherent. 

I’ve had a total hip replacement 3 months ago.  Despite my surgeon saying I’m young to be getting the operation the whole thing has made me feel really old.  To make it worse I still can’t fully bend down tie my shoelaces.   I’m hoping that as the muscles and nerves settle down I will get fuller movement of the hip.  If anyone has had hip replacement done any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

No doubt about it, time will mold you and craft you but soon when you’re looking away it will slide up and shaft you.  Oh time, no friend of mine.

There's been some pretty grim stuff on this thread.

Old age comes to all of us eventually (some of you seem to have had it fast forwarded), but rest assured all of you, it's heading your way sometime.

Myself? I've been absolutely blessed with my health. A few broken bones and no illness more serious than flu.  The usual back pain for an old guy but not unbearable. No (so far) warning signs from my liver or lungs after the abuse they've received over the years.  Out on the bike, 30-40 miles no problem. It seems from reading through the comments that I've been extremely lucky. 

I'm retiring this year, so, in the finest Scottish tradition of doom-laden optimism, I'm looking forward to seeing out the first 12-18 months of my retirement sitting on a park bench, tartan rug over my lap, thermos flask at hand, cardigan, scarf, bunnet etc. .  .  . and then receiving the news that I've got two, maybe three months to live.

Aye, I'm a cheerful b*****d. image.png.65dae3ef5376fe9b882bae96d53c9f19.png

7 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I’ve had a total hip replacement 3 months ago.  Despite my surgeon saying I’m young to be getting the operation the whole thing has made me feel really old.  To make it worse I still can’t fully bend down tie my shoelaces.   I’m hoping that as the muscles and nerves settle down I will get fuller movement of the hip.  If anyone has had hip replacement done any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

No doubt about it, time will mold you and craft you but soon when you’re looking away it will slide up and shaft you.  Oh time, no friend of mine.

Gentleman I worked with was back to 100% after about 5 months, said it was just working steadily to do the PT exercises. He was 54 at the time.

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Welcome to the club Shadow, got mine done three years ago, was pretty much fully recovered after the three months, and it's perfect now. Had zero quality of life before the op, constant pain that painkillers couldn't touch. Thank you Mr Shrpada I owe you so much.

On 22/01/2023 at 21:24, Sarcastic Bairn said:

I must be older, I make the noises a few seconds before doing any of these.

Young-Being able to guess the mystery sports person on Question of Sport before they were revealed.

Old-Not knowing them even after they are revealed and then even after they say their name. 

You're doing well - I don't even recognise 90% of the chunts sitting behind the desks!

4 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Welcome to the club Shadow, got mine done three years ago, was pretty much fully recovered after the three months, and it's perfect now. Had zero quality of life before the op, constant pain that painkillers couldn't touch. Thank you Mr Shrpada I owe you so much.

That’s encouraging to hear Biggie.  I’ve got real numbness in my upper thigh and can’t bend down to tie my laces.  Just got physio last week so early days for the exercises they gave me to do. 

I think it’s further complicated by the fact both my knees have arthritis.  About 11 years ago I got an X-Ray on my right knee.  The consultant reckoned at that time I’d be lucky to get 10 years out if it. Knee replacements aren’t usually as successful as hip replacements so I’m holding off as long as I can.

Did the consultant give you any indication how long the hip is likely to last?  

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

That’s encouraging to hear Biggie.  I’ve got real numbness in my upper thigh and can’t bend down to tie my laces.  Just got physio last week so early days for the exercises they gave me to do. 

I think it’s further complicated by the fact both my knees have arthritis.  About 11 years ago I got an X-Ray on my right knee.  The consultant reckoned at that time I’d be lucky to get 10 years out if it. Knee replacements aren’t usually as successful as hip replacements so I’m holding off as long as I can.

Did the consultant give you any indication how long the hip is likely to last?  

Sorry about the knees mate, excercise is the answer for the hip (walking around a lot) but if your knees are knackered then that will be difficult.

They reckon only ten years for the hip to last, hopefully be longer than that, fingers crossed, because before the op, life wasn't worth living.

You get it done at Perth?

3 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Sorry about the knees mate, excercise is the answer for the hip (walking around a lot) but if your knees are knackered then that will be difficult.

They reckon only ten years for the hip to last, hopefully be longer than that, fingers crossed, because before the op, life wasn't worth living.

Yes Perth.  I got the anterior procedure so only a small incision a bit bigger than the length of the pinky finger, done near the groin area.  Supposed to make hip dislocation less likely in recovery as they don’t need to cut any  it muscles, they can just push them aside.  

I quite like walking and I’m doing 3-4k walks as well as smaller walks most days.  Hip doesn’t hurt too much when walking but the knees do!

The consultant reckoned with reasonable care the hip can last 15 - 20 years +.   It’s the titanium stem with a ceramic ball onto a ‘plastic’ type socket.  I think the most common potential problem in the future is the ‘spike’ that gets fitted in the bone marrow part of the thigh bone can become loose over time.  The procedure I got was without medical cement.  Apparently the bone should kind of form over the ‘spike’ for extra security.  

Good to know it was about the three month mark yours was ok.  I’m definitely improving so maybe I’m just a bit slower at healing.

33 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I still think of MTV as a music channel 

Bowling for Soup had a song called 1985, which features the line "And Music still on MTV".

It was released 19 years after the year that features in the title. In 2004. Which itself is now 19 years ago.

And if that doesn't make you feel old, "Baby, One More Time" by Britney Spears was released 25 years ago this September

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

My recently retired ex-workmate had her hip done around 2004 at the age of 42.  She still has no issues with mobility.