Stupid segregation at Scottish football games

Can anybody explain what the deal is with this shit? This was from last nights Hearts vs Aberdeen match. 

stupidsegregation.thumb.jpg.f463437602ff5f36d96abd26f38030b4.jpg

Is it just me who think that this is an utterly ridiculous amount of segregation? The white square is particularly bad - it just looks awful. The columns down the left, there's no need for 3 of them. One would suffice along with extra stewarding if necessary. There's a good few hundred seats covered up that both Hearts and Aberdeen fans could have used.

Who is making these decisions to install so much needless segregation, is it the club or the police? It never used to be this bad, you only need to look at highlights from a few years ago to see that this didn't happen.

image.png.0738ea78f225ef2a03ec89cfa798e531.png

St. Johnstone are guilty of it as well, we also cover up a block of seats nearest to the away end - something that never used to happen. It's a ridiculous carry on. This isn't Leeds vs Millwall - it's St. Johnstone vs Motherwell, mate. In England you don't get segregation like this, even between supporters who bitterly hate each other.

As a fan of Scottish football, this stuff pisses me off. We should be trying to cram as many folk in as possibly to games like this, promoting the game and making it a noisy spectacle. More fans = better for the atmosphere. Covering up seats like this and trying to keep opposition fans apart also takes a bit of sting out the atmosphere. It would appear the authorities are hell bent on making attending football matches as miserable and boring experience as possible, whether it be the alcohol ban, overzealous stewarding and policing or stupid shit like this.

Please share any examples of stupid segregation you have come across.

There was trouble at a Hearts game a few years ago, I think against United and the police basically told us to increase the segregated area. So the banner is pretty much on police advice.

The square at the bottom is rubbish, but again, is on police advice due to things being thrown between there and section N. It does look absolutely shite.

Edited by Tony Wonder

For some reason a couple of years ago the support started being segregated at Gayfield when we visited, despite there being none a few years before that, including fans changing ends at half time where fans of opposing teams walked past each other. There was absolutely zero trouble, yet suddenly it's all changed.

Wonder if these changes in general are down to the increase in shite like chucking things (very much the bandwagon activity for morons at the moment), pitch invasions and the general attempts of trying to act hard?

Without wishing to slander the good name of Hearts and Aberdeen fans, I'd bet that they are both relatively high on the police interest list for football disorder.

When Caley played Elgin in the Scottish Cup in 2017, I have never seen so many police at a game.  There were police dogs surrounding the pitch, the fans were completely segreagated leaving the ground and there were vans of police all around before and after.  There was still fighting after the game and a bunch of people were charged but the case was dropped.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

For some reason a couple of years ago the support started being segregated at Gayfield when we visited, despite there being none a few years before that, including fans changing ends at half time where fans of opposing teams walked past each other. There was absolutely zero trouble, yet suddenly it's all changed.

Wonder if these changes in general are down to the increase in shite like chucking things (very much the bandwagon activity for morons at the moment), pitch invasions and the general attempts of trying to act hard?

Someone will correct me but I'm sure that in the top two divisions in Scotland clubs are required to have segregation of fans.

5 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

There was trouble at a Hearts game a few years ago, I think against United and the police basically told us to increase the segregated area. So the banner is pretty much on police advice.

The square at the bottom is rubbish, but again, is on police advice due to things being thrown between there and section N. It does look absolutely shite.

Christmas period game I think. Pished United fan jumps on to the segregated cover, becomes marooned on a sea of suspended polyester before being rescued/huckled by the polis. Was the best part of the evening that, we got pumped.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Someone will correct me but I'm sure that in the top two divisions in Scotland clubs are required to have segregation of fans.

Nah, we had unsegregated games at Arbroath and at home to Cove both last year. No segregation is pish tbh, especially when there are a load of hillbillies in your usual seat. 

11 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I think an entire half of section K might be blocked off because the staircase between section L & K was designed to cope with half of L and half of K

We could perhaps lose seats of one end of the west section K to widen the staircase and then narrow the banner or possibly add a removable fence which would free up some capacity

It's only recently that a shortage of seats has become a constant issue so probably nobody's bothered looking into alternatives 

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Without wishing to slander the good name of Hearts and Aberdeen fans, I'd bet that they are both relatively high on the police interest list for football disorder.

When Caley played Elgin in the Scottish Cup in 2017, I have never seen so many police at a game.  There were police dogs surrounding the pitch, the fans were completely segreagated leaving the ground and there were vans of police all around before and after.  There was still fighting after the game and a bunch of people were charged but the case was dropped.

A fixture even Danny Dyer wouldnt attend. 

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Not sure anyone would shite it against any twats who call it "soccer" m8.

^^^runner.

36 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Christmas period game I think. Pished United fan jumps on to the segregated cover, becomes marooned on a sea of suspended polyester before being rescued/huckled by the polis. Was the best part of the evening that, we got pumped.

That's the one aye 😄

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

1931979315_bettersegregation.jpg.07d4d34b81d811f87ea135bf0946c3f9.jpg

This would be more appropriate.

I don't think our Section N are trusted to be so close to away fans.  They're a rowdy wee bunch of laddies at times and the stands are awfully close.

2 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I don't think our Section N are trusted to be so close to away fans.  They're a rowdy wee bunch of laddies at times and the stands are awfully close.

All it takes is appropriate police or steward intervention. 
These bodies are paid after all to deal with any offending. 
It really is costing clubs revenue by closing off sections of the ground. 
St Mirren fans sold out their allocation last Friday with many fans not able to attend. I’m sure Aberdeen were in the same situation.
Hearts then increase the cost of away match tickets to deal with the shortfall in seats. Then away fans start to boycott certain games as it’s too expensive. It’s madness.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Having been in the square area and had a kid next to me be injured by a coin thrown from the stand next to it I can understand why it is not in use for supporters. 

If the segregation is viewed as stupid perhaps we should be looking at why it is thought necessary and calling out the behaviour that leads to it.