Celtic v Morton (with added VAR)

AyrshireTon

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

The only thing that can be said in favour of having VAR at that game is the fact that Celtic have the big screens at either end. Pretty quickly during the long looong wait for the VAR decision the screens were showing the reason for the check, which was at least something as nobody in the ground had a clue up till then. If we’re going to persist with VAR then we need to make sure that at grounds without screens the stadium announcer is able to inform the fans what’s happening. Fitba’ is meant to be an entertainment business and currently the public are being shortchanged, both by VAR decisions and by how it’s being used.

I would go one step more, clubs should be able to listen to the decision making from the officials.

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

VAR has fixed the off-side decision making it's no longer a debate,is he off yes or no very simple.

If you think ‘he’s offside by a toe’ is ‘fixing’ it, I can’t help you; and even then, argue for using it for offsides, not for everything.

VAR has diminished the experience of watching football… and it has made rotten referees look even worse, because they no longer have the excuse of not seeing the pictures everybody else has.

Finally got to watch the game again on the tv and that penalty decision was absolutely awful get VAR to f**k no wonder Morton voted against it if this is what it does to teams, overall good day out rubbish result but expected started well then the decision took the sting out Morton not sure it would’ve changed the result much if the penalty wasn’t giving well done Celtic very good side always going to be difficult for us to get any type of result aslong as the boys worked hard I’m happy and they did!

anyway Mon eh Ton back to league business next week 💙

Edited by Cowshed

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If you think ‘he’s offside by a toe’ is ‘fixing’ it, I can’t help you; and even then, argue for using it for offsides, not for everything.

VAR has diminished the experience of watching football… and it has made rotten referees look even worse, because they no longer have the excuse of not seeing the pictures everybody else has.

It's not for everything and marginal calls are frustrating but if it's a leg,head,arm,toe it's still off M8 like it or not.
I agree VAR sorts out the bad refs from the good ones, making a decision with the ball still in-play seems better than waiting for the game to start again from a throw-in or corner.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's not for everything and marginal calls are frustrating but if it's a leg,head,arm,toe it's still off M8 like it or not.
I agree VAR sorts out the bad refs from the good ones, making a decision with the ball still in-play seems better than waiting for the game to start again from a throw-in or corner.

It’s not the marginal calls that are a problem (most folk get that), it’s the crazed insistence on getting involved when no one else (players or supporters) have a scooby what’s happening, like yesterday… or the ridiculous situations when everybody watching on the telly sees clearly what has happened, but the officials somehow still manage to get it wrong (like the Rashford/Fernandes goal recently, but also like yesterday). You can argue in either case that it’s a refereeing error more than a VAR problem… but the problem is really, as I said, that we know they’re seeing everything from multiple angles (whereas previously we could more easily accept human error in a fast moving situation).

On the other point (and this has less to do with VAR, but there’s a knock-on effect), the offside rule doesn’t exist in football to deny players the right to be an arse-cheek in front of their opponent; it was necessary to make sure the game was structured in a certain way and players couldn’t just goal hang. The current vogue for ‘offside is offside’ just totally misunderstands that; there should be clear separation between players before an offside is given, i.e. a version of level is on.

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

It’s not the marginal calls that are a problem (most folk get that), it’s the crazed insistence on getting involved when no one else (players or supporters) have a scooby what’s happening, like yesterday… or the ridiculous situations when everybody watching on the telly sees clearly what has happened, but the officials somehow still manage to get it wrong (like the Rashford/Fernandes goal recently, but also like yesterday). You can argue in either case that it’s a refereeing error more than a VAR problem… but the problem is really, as I said, that we know they’re seeing everything from multiple angles (whereas previously we could more easily accept human error in a fast moving situation).

On the other point (and this has less to do with VAR, but there’s a knock-on effect), the offside rule doesn’t exist in football to deny players the right to be an arse-cheek in front of their opponent; it was necessary to make sure the game was structured in a certain way and players couldn’t just goal hang. The current vogue for ‘offside is offside’ just totally misunderstands that; there should be clear separation between players before an offside is given, i.e. a version of level is on.

I don't watch the English game and couldn't care less about what happens across the border M8 plus Scottish football has a cheaper version of VAR than the English one.
Posting about borders the line needs to be drawn somewhere,I get the attacking player should have the advantage but that's not where the line is It's when the ball is kicked, the line is consistent and that's what fans want.
The problem with red cards and penalties is the inconsistency coming from officials.
The interpretation of the rules are still to board minded and IFAB are constantly changing them moving a analog sport into a digital one has it's problems can't wait for AI to take it to another level.

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Let's put it this way.  I watched the game from the start and enjoyed the opening passages of play.  That changed abruptly when THE INCIDENT arose, and the dead hand of VAR took centre stage.

But it was worse than that.  Kevin Clancy, an experienced referee, had every opportunity to clearly call no penalty, but after much analysis and for reasons known only to himself or perhaps the football authorities he astonished everyone who had witnessed it.

At the point he made the hand signal and pointed to the spot I turned the telly off.  No harm to Aaron Mooy or Celtic, both of whom were totally blameless, but f**k watching these ongoing travesties of basically straightforward rules.

We in all likelihood we win this game anyway so there is no need for this ridiculous penalty decision and it’s a shame as too many games are being ruined by contentious handball decisions where you honestly can’t predict wtf the refs are going to do or seeing. 

There is zero consistency, to give that penalty when neither of the 2 Goldson ones recently weren’t given is laughable. 

Anyway kudos to Morton they came and they had a real go, their fans turned up in numbers also, a lot of the big league teams could take a leaf out of their book imo.

3 hours ago, pink_panther said:

It looked pretty healthy but didn't expect it to be quite that high, to be honest.

Nice addition to the coffers, hopefully we use it wisely and push for the top end. Top four has to be the main aim.

21 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

We in all likelihood we win this game anyway so there is no need for this ridiculous penalty decision and it’s a shame as too many games are being ruined by contentious handball decisions where you honestly can’t predict wtf the refs are going to do or seeing. 

There is zero consistency, to give that penalty when neither of the 2 Goldson ones recently weren’t given is laughable

Anyway kudos to Morton they came and they had a real go, their fans turned up in numbers also, a lot of the big league teams could take a leaf out of their book imo.

😂 Never change mate.

3 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Crowd attendance yesterday was 40,011 (Scotsman). Did Celtic season-ticket holders have to pay to gain entry to yesterdays game?

Yes. 

From what I recall a Celtic-supporting work colleague saying, those who opt-in when buying their season ticket are automatically given a ticket and charged for it, should they get a home cup tie. Those who don't just buy a ticket of their own accord.

23 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Yes. 

From what I recall a Celtic-supporting work colleague saying, those who opt-in when buying their season ticket are automatically given a ticket and charged for it, should they get a home cup tie. Those who don't just buy a ticket of their own accord.

Thanks for that.