Celtic v Morton (with added VAR)

AyrshireTon

A helping hand from Efe and VAR - how two SFA refs could see that deflected shot as a penalty is ridiculous.

A good crowd - I'm sure the away fans day was ruined by that call - nevertheless a good payday.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic didn't play well but we didn't need to.

... because the referee decided the game for you within 20 minutes. 

Otherwise it's a reasonable analysis of the game. Based on the balance of play Celtic would have had to step up a couple of gears though if it wasn't for the penalty decision.

I'm pretty sure that they'd have managed it, but any such test was removed by the officials. 

17 hours ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

So, Celtic fans. Let’s talk about sense of achievement. Today was the equivalent of a hard man 6th year at secondary turning up at a primary school and beating the shit out of a primary 1 child. Few beers? Slapping each other on the back? How the f**k do Celtic (and rangers) fans take any sort of joy from football? Anytime either Celtic or  rangers meet an actual peer in Europe you get well and truly bodied. 

Have you only just discovered the whole concept of a domestic cup competition?

12 hours ago, virginton said:

Otherwise it's a reasonable analysis of the game. Based on the balance of play Celtic would have had to step up a couple of gears though if it wasn't for the penalty decision.

I'm pretty sure that they'd have managed it, but any such test was removed by the officials. 

I would agree  we were toiling a bit and Morton were quite organised up to that point then the penalty onwards was a totally different game. The time taken to make that decision is ridiculous also, my aging father who is shite at using his phone managed to text me to say it  wasn't a penalty watching at home well before VAR gave it in live time.

Anyway good to see Morton bring a decent crowd and have a fair few #flegs and make a bit of noise. Thee stadium was pretty full for an early cup KO on TV I thought also. 

16 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Anyway good to see Morton bring a decent crowd and have a fair few #flegs and make a bit of noise. Thee stadium was pretty full for an early cup KO on TV I thought also. 

I was surprised at how many home fans there were - in our last two visits the place was empty. Pleased to see it busier for our sake 💰

Have to say, from the look of it on the screen above the goal, that pitch was a shocker.

8 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Have to say, from the look of it on the screen above the goal, that pitch was a shocker.

Aye, if the rest of it was as bare as the stretch in front of our fans it makes you wonder how bad the Hampden pitch must be to have had Postecoglu bumping his gums about it last week. Funnily enough, I haven’t seen him saying anything yet about how Celtic benefitted from a VAR & referee decision yesterday……….    🙄

I don’t think a single person bar the goon on the VAR monitor noticed that incident, including the referee. The ball nicked off Baird very close to Ambrose, who was facing the other way. He couldn’t be deemed to have hit it intentionally with his arm, which wasn’t in an “unnatural position” in relation to the rest of him, and both before and after the ball hit him it was moving away from goal. Compare and contrast with the Connor Goldson incident in the Old Firm game the other week, and let’s hear a referee defend the decisions given……….    But don’t hold your breath.

The only thing that can be said in favour of having VAR at that game is the fact that Celtic have the big screens at either end. Pretty quickly during the long looong wait for the VAR decision the screens were showing the reason for the check, which was at least something as nobody in the ground had a clue up till then. If we’re going to persist with VAR then we need to make sure that at grounds without screens the stadium announcer is able to inform the fans what’s happening. Fitba’ is meant to be an entertainment business and currently the public are being shortchanged, both by VAR decisions and by how it’s being used.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

Efe ballon d'or was always better with his head than his feet plus the mistakes in the Morton defense for Kyogo's second was laughable.
There is a debate it would've been a better game without VAR for me there is still more pros than cons.
The problem isn't VAR it's the officials making a mess of there interpretation in real time.
When Spain introduced VAR every hand ball in the box was a penalty maybe it's easier for the officials to go down that line of thinking and feck common sense.
My main concern is the tempo of the game taking quick free kicks catching teams sleeping with quick thinking players, stepping up a couple of gears when the play is being stopped doesn't help.

13 hours ago, virginton said:

Let's put it this way.  I watched the game from the start and enjoyed the opening passages of play.  That changed abruptly when THE INCIDENT arose, and the dead hand of VAR took centre stage.

But it was worse than that.  Kevin Clancy, an experienced referee, had every opportunity to clearly call no penalty, but after much analysis and for reasons known only to himself or perhaps the football authorities he astonished everyone who had witnessed it.

At the point he made the hand signal and pointed to the spot I turned the telly off.  No harm to Aaron Mooy or Celtic, both of whom were totally blameless, but f**k watching these ongoing travesties of basically straightforward rules.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Let's put it this way.  I watched the game from the start and enjoyed the opening passages of play.  That changed abruptly when THE INCIDENT arose, and the dead hand of VAR took centre stage.

But it was worse than that.  Kevin Clancy, an experienced referee, had every opportunity to clearly call no penalty, but after much analysis and for reasons known only to himself or perhaps the football authorities he astonished everyone who had witnessed it.

At the point he made the hand signal and pointe d to the spot I turned the telly off.  No harm to Aaron Mooy or Celtic, both of whom were totally blameless, but f**k watching these ongoing travesties of basically straightforward rules.

Pre VAR Clancy was useless and got big decisions laughably wrong (unless it's your team on the wrong end of his incompetence), post VAR he's still useless. Unless you have decent officials VAR is a shambles, and at this point there is no clear hand ball rule followed with any consistency.

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

I was surprised at how many home fans there were - in our last two visits the place was empty. Pleased to see it busier for our sake 💰

What was the actual attendance? Had a look (albeit only via Fotmob and BBC Sport) and not seen it noted 

4 minutes ago, MORleyTON said:

What was the actual attendance? Had a look (albeit only via Fotmob and BBC Sport) and not seen it noted 

Clancy's probably still checking VAR to try to cook the attendance figure in their favour too.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The problem isn't VAR it's the officials making a mess of there interpretation in real time.
When Spain introduced VAR every hand ball in the box was a penalty maybe it's easier for the officials to go down that line of thinking and feck common sense.

Until VAR was foisted upon the game the ref and his two assistants had a fraction of a second to view an incident in real time, and if they couldn’t be as near as 100% sure that an offence had been committed they wouldn’t give it - or, at least, shouldn’t have.

The problem now is that those in the VAR room either feel, or are being instructed, that they have to use the technology to its fullest, micromanaging every decision to get it just right and to hell with how long it takes.  IMO they should be told to watch an incident n o more than 3 times and over no more than 30 seconds, and if they can’t decide by then that an offence has been committed then let the referee and the teams get on with the game, as was the case before VAR. This business of watching a replay ten times or more and then getting the referee to watch it another three or four times is farcical - in a game as fast-moving as football is (or should be) the possibility for marginal decisions maybe going the wrong way has always been there. VAR can certainly help that, but those in charge should be told to make decisions more quickly. That might mean some wrong decisions still being made, but it seemed to take forever yesterday for them to still get it wrong.

Plus, as yesterday showed, the handball rule as it stands is a bit of a joke.

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Aye, if the rest of it was as bare as the stretch in front of our fans it makes you wonder how bad the Hampden pitch must be to have had Postecoglu bumping his gums about it last week.

I did see quite a humorous clip where after the Hampden match when he was complaining about the pitch a journalist retorted and likened it to the Celtic Park pitch recently. He seemed a bit lost for words 😂

1 hour ago, MORleyTON said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/celtic-reaction-postecoglou-takes-issue-with-how-it-is-in-scotland-misunderstanding-market-values-for-juranovic-and-giakoumakis-unprecedented-crowd-numbers-3996362