Celtic v Morton (with added VAR)

AyrshireTon

No thread yet - guess we're all really excited at the thought of this one.

Three of our last four Scottish Cup ties at Celtic Park have ended in 3-0 defeats, the other was a 2-0 defeat in 1998 when the home side forgot to score their penalty. Our last wins there were in 1971 and 2013 (courtesy of Sir Dougie), both in the League Cup.

We're on a poor run of results at the moment (like in 2013) and Efe Ambrose is playing (like in 2013, but for the good guys this time). Sadly, there's no big haddie called Van Djik playing up front for Celtic.

We've sold 2000+ tickets, so we'll make a lot of noise and hope Sir Dougie gets the team selection right this week. 

I decided to give this a miss.

Ticket arrangement did not fit in with my new found buy on line capability and the office was shut for my last midweek visit.

Have no great expectations but maybe those bad Rangers bias VAR officials will do us a turn.

In recent (last 25 years) cup games v Celtic we normally elevate some nonfiring Celtic striker to hero status.

Beware that big Greek forward who does seem to score when on the park and if rumour is correct Celtic are seeking to off load him. A few goals v us may help increase his fee. Maybe we can get a cut.

10 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Be interested to see if we shape up with a back 5. I hope not, as it rarely works when we do.

As long as we don't go down the "Duffy at Parkhead" route with a brand new untested back line formation.

I can see the argument for the back five, but I'd rather we stuck with the back four and had the midfield play something close to our usual pressing game, just with pressing more in the middle third rather than quite so far up the park as usual. Realistically they're going to play through us anyway, but if we go to a back five and sit off to try to defend our box they're going to pick us off easily regardless.

Remember VAR is only available for some Scottish Cup teams this weekend, at 3 matches, not for every team.

So for instance, at Parkhead it's only available for Celtic, not Morton.

If a Morton player so much as grazes the ball with his finger, they'll be straight on to VAR to analyse it from 18 angles.

If a Celtic player Stone Cold Stunners someone in the box, the ref will wave play on and the VAR team will just happen to be on their fag break at that particular moment. 

Not that I'm still bitter about last weekend or anything.

Hope Morton make a good account of themselves today. Hows Quitongo been for you guys. Really liked him with us but always felt he got frustrated if things not going well and started commiting unnecessary fouls. Would love to see him have a good game and grab a goal.