Alloa vs Falkirk

Another perfect example of a match last seasons Falkirk get absolutely fucked in. We held on, then out fitnessed them. Began to think after the hour mark tlit was there for us. 

Gonna some job getting maximum points against these in the bunched up league matches though. Hard Place to go. 

Thought that was a decent cup tie. We played well in the first half once we found our feet and probably deserved to go in ahead. We switched off for the Falkirk goal right at the end but it was a cracking cross. Second half started much the same and chances were there for us to go ahead. We immediately looked weaker when Donnelly and Scougall went off and Falkirk took advantage with the second goal, again a nice ball in. But it was good from an Alloa point of view that we bounced back and despite not flowing as well without the two playmakers we still came close to forcing extra time. 

More encouraged with the team after watching that. Keep that shape (and get Taggart out to RWB) and hopefully keep the key men fit and we won't lose many games in the league. Could do with another pacy striker too if possible. 

Fair play to Falkirk, clinical when the chances came. 

Thought we were poor throughout against an Alloa side that looked right up for it. Scored two lovely goals though, basically the moments of real quality in the game that was enough to get us through.

Alloa were very direct but it was working for them. Playing Oliver up front against Clyde is all fine and well but he struggled massively today against Alloa's big denders. Burrell must start until we can bring in a new number 9 

Good to be in the next round and 4 wins in the spin 

24 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Thought that was a decent cup tie. We played well in the first half once we found our feet and probably deserved to go in ahead. We switched off for the Falkirk goal right at the end but it was a cracking cross. Second half started much the same and chances were there for us to go ahead. We immediately looked weaker when Donnelly and Scougall went off and Falkirk took advantage with the second goal, again a nice ball in. But it was good from an Alloa point of view that we bounced back and despite not flowing as well without the two playmakers we still came close to forcing extra time. 

More encouraged with the team after watching that. Keep that shape (and get Taggart out to RWB) and hopefully keep the key men fit and we won't lose many games in the league. Could do with another pacy striker too if possible. 

Fair play to Falkirk, clinical when the chances came. 

Yeah, I enjoyed the game. Would have been much more disappointed if it had been a league game as I felt we deserved the draw.

Agreed. Donnelly was very effective and although Scougs wasn't having his best game him going off always weakens the side.

Falkirk have pace on both wings and tested us at times, with Kennedy in particular a handful, but we coped pretty well with it. I thought we might get at Mackie and Mackay in central defence, but they held firm and dealt with our ariel threat well.

Didn't think we had any failures. Taggs a class act again and I thought Stanger looked more comfortable on the right of the back three with big Andy beside him.

Only thing I'd like to have seen was Kev pushed into the hole behind the strikers when Donnelly went off, with either Taggs or King at RWB, but overall can't have too many complaints about the effort and performance.

Edited by printer

We were just not as clinical as Falkirk in the end , that said some fingertip save from PJ at the end too

but decent enough display and as has been said beginning to look worth our 4th place last few games 

with a small gap in quality from 1st and second .

Alloa will feel hard done by after that. Credit to them, play like that more often than not and they’ll be in the top 4.

Delighted to win that cup tie, in a way I can’t remember us winning for a while. We’ve usually had to outplay teams and created multiple more chances in order to win games, today a little bit different.

When most of the games in this league are pretty tight, and with next to nothing on the bench, I can completely understand keeping Burrell for the latter stages if the game isn’t going quite to plan. Would hate for it to be tight and only having Oliver, McGuffie and Yeats to bring on. Ideally we would be 3-0 up in the first half of games but that’s never going to happen. We desperately need another striker in though, as everyone knows.

As with others, felt it was a decent cup tie and the finishing was the difference between the 2 teams. 

Conceding right on half time was a bit of a sickener as I thought we deserved the half time lead. Ross MacIver really should have had us 2 up when PJ laid it on a plate for him as well. 

Sammon completely switches off for the equaliser but both Falkirk goals came from excellent crosses.

Thought Strachan going off at half time was a big loss, as were Donnelly and Scougs, but only really ourselves to blame for not making more of the chances we created. 

Encouraging signs over the last 3 games though, performances have been pretty decent and certainly an improvement on the games around Xmas/NY. 

Feel like next week will be a bit of an acid test of where we are at. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Certainly going to be interesting seeing what the two managers change in the next one. 

I don’t think in terms of approach, Ricey will change very much, but both sides might be a bit stronger with returning/new players.

Alloa are never going to sit in for a point. Ricey bested us last season, and will be keen to do it again. They aren’t going to win the league, but Ricey will certainly have a good go at getting second or third.

Thought we were poor generally and that Alloa just shaded it, so delighted to get away with the win.

Our best man was probably young Rowe at FB I thought. I'm not in the camp that thinks that McGinn has gone backwards or that his legs have gone in games however that was comfortably his worst game for us. Good that it was a cup game and that we got through it anyway and I hope it's not the start of a trend. Henderson had a poor game game also which caused Nesbitt to have to wander from his attacking central role at times so the midfield in general were quite poor IMO.

Burrell made a big difference when he came on, taking his goal very well however I feel we need to persist with Oliver at the moment as Burrell starting means we wouldn't have an upgrade to come on. We obviously need to get a couple of strikers in pronto though. 

Anybody know why Henderson had to go off down at the corner then go and speak to McGlynn just as we were about to take a free kick?

11 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Anybody know why Henderson had to go off down at the corner then go and speak to McGlynn just as we were about to take a free kick?

If it is the free-kick I am think of in the second half - Paul Smith wanted on the right of the taker, covering the middle and it looked like Hnederson wanted to be on the left and the byline. They were proper at each other, free-kick was cleared and nothing more was said. Was weird but nothing to read into it.

41 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

How that PK is not given first half is incredible 

I'm not just 100% about it after the highlights. But it's incredible that not one of the many, at worst "you've seen it given" calls has gone our way all season