Players who carried your team.

11 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

For United, I think the clear answer is Billy Dodds. If I recall, we were pretty comfortably in third place before we sold him to Rangers and then dropped like a stone, finishing 8th. The season after, we were very nearly relegated and would certainly have been if we hadn't bought pretty much an entirely new team across that season.

Or if Paul Hartley didn’t get sent off and Alan Main actually used his arms

I’m not sure we’ve had many that have “carried” us in the true sense of the term, but many that have been quite vital at various points.

Pedro Mendes was an absolute joy in the 08/09 season helping us win a League and Scottish cup double.

Lee Wallace from 2012-2016 was one of the few players you could genuinely say played consistently well amid all the shite that was going on. We shouldn’t have needed carrying during that period but he often spurred us on when required.

And more recently it has to be Tavernier. His numbers at Rangers are absolutely incredible. He hasn’t done it as much lately, but I think there are signs of him being that real driving force he was for so long. A moment against Aberdeen at the weekend they attempted to attack down his side and he read the move, intercepted the pass wide and got us from our own 18 yard line up to the opposition corner flag alleviating any pressure.

Notable mentions to Prso, Jelavic and Cuellar.

Fletcher

Griffiths

Nisbet

Amidst all the shite signings and general disarray at Hibs, we’ve had a knack for producing/signing goal scorers. Thank feck. 

O’Connor might make the list, albeit for a very short period of time.

Edited by The Other Foot

On 16/01/2023 at 22:01, Kyle said:

Martin Hardie in the 2nd half of the Gretna season. A colossus. 

Hardie carried Dunfermline to the title a few years later (2010/11).  He was unstoppable when crashing late into the box. Eight goals in as many games in the title run-in.

21 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Colin Cameron in 98-99 was remarkable.

Came back after almost the whole season injured to a side that had scored 2 goals in over two months and looked likely to go down.

Once he's back in the side we win 3-1 at United, 5-2 at Aberdeen, 4-0 at Motherwell, scud United 4-1 again just for a laugh, get a point at Ibrox, and finish a baw-hair off the top half of the league after what had looked like a sure-fire relegation.

Some man.

There seems to be a narrative that the aforementioned Darren Jackson helped carry us through that season, but I agree Cameron's return was pivotal. What a player he was for Hearts.

On 17/01/2023 at 08:19, djchapsticks said:

I'm guessing you mean Broadfoot's efforts in securing survival in the first season in the SPL, particularly after he'd signed his pre-contract. If so, you are 100% correct and it was the reason he went to Rangers with universal good will. It was his actions afterwards when being shown good will that marked him out as a total walloper.

The season we went up was certainly not a one-man effort with Charlie Adam, John Sutton and Mark Reilly among others all also being consistently superb for us.

I thought Reilly was injured for a large part of that season, but as you say that was a team effort.

Stevie Mallan carried us for most of the first half of 2017, we would have been absolutely screwed if he'd gone to Barnsley that January as planned.

And without Adam Hammill's brief stint in 2018 we'd have finished bottom that season. He scored or assisted pretty much every goal we scored during his time with us.

1 hour ago, SGMilne said:

😅 I see it still hurts.

But we actually won the game the week after to finish 5 points off bottom

Surprisingly that post was from a supporter of the Perth Saints, rather than the Paisley variety!

On 16/01/2023 at 21:04, Coventry Saint said:

Recently, Connor Ronan and Lewis Morgan.

Disagree. 

Morgan never carried us at any stage. In the “survival” season if anyone was our star man it was Stevie Mallan, but I think even that season we had a pretty good team and it just took a while for Ross to get a tune out of them.  The following (championship winning) season we had an excellent team which Morgan was part of. He made a massive contribution but no way did he carry us. Then he left. 

Likewise, Ronan, he was good player but no way did he carry us. 

7 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Surprised you didnt include Martin Boyle in the list. 

His single handed destruction of Sevco in the LC semi final last season was a sight to behold...........and it was frightening our dropoff after he left for the Saudi petro dollars.

I was thinking of the most extreme "relegation saving" examples. But Marin Boyle is a good shout for your aforementioned reason.

11 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Hardie carried Dunfermline to the title a few years later (2010/11).  He was unstoppable when crashing late into the box. Eight goals in as many games in the title run-in.

He's the very definition of a cult hero. I absolutely love him.