The Jam Tarts vs The Dons

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Can't be long now.  I'll be disappointed if Dave Cormack isn't  on the list.  Probably nominated by himself...

Probably be Steve Robinson. Seems to be the way Aberdeen scout managers. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Probably the most concerning thing. When you went 2-0 up I’m sitting thinking hearts have been pretty shite. Yet they’ve attacked twice and scored. One a simple throw into the box and one a simple ball over the top, albeit a good finish.

That's one way to put it. If Xavi had made that pass it would have been in his career top 10.

10 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The 'they only had 6 shots on target' defence isn't particularly strong when we had about 10 great chances.

I've not seen anybody make that "defence" here. 

But the "Shots on Target" number isn't a great metric anyway. It probably tells as much about style as quality

• Hearts are now on 42 goals from 93 Shots on target (45.2%, the highest in the league)
  • Aberdeen 35 from 93 (37.6%, fair to middling)
  • Hibs are 29/108 (29.6%, the lowest in the league)

Which might tell us about expert finishing but as likely tells us which teams are most fond of firing off speculative pot shots from long range as opposed to retaining possession and trying to engineer something better.

You could call Sibbick's pass 'a simple ball over the top' if you ignore the movement that creates the space and the fact that Hearts clearly try to create this very situation quite often (something lost on quite a few of the simpletons who sit around me at Tynecastle with their 'get it forward' patter). It's been more noticeable in the last couple of games as Hill's range of passing is good and he makes good balls into the channels. Souttar used to do it, and with Halkett and Kingsley missing so much this season, we've obviously been hamstrung in efforts to play that way, but it was a beautiful goal.

34 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've not seen anybody make that "defence" here. 

But the "Shots on Target" number isn't a great metric anyway. It probably tells as much about style as quality

• Hearts are now on 42 goals from 93 Shots on target (45.2%, the highest in the league)
  • Aberdeen 35 from 93 (37.6%, fair to middling)
  • Hibs are 29/108 (29.6%, the lowest in the league)

Which might tell us about expert finishing but as likely tells us which teams are most fond of firing off speculative pot shots from long range as opposed to retaining possession and trying to engineer something better.

It's easy to have the highest %shots on target in the league if most of them are from the penalty spot 😉

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

That's one way to put it. If Xavi had made that pass it would have been in his career top 10.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Calling Sibbick's pass a "simple ball" is doing him a massive disservice. It was fantastic.

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

You could call Sibbick's pass 'a simple ball over the top' if you ignore the movement that creates the space and the fact that Hearts clearly try to create this very situation quite often (something lost on quite a few of the simpletons who sit around me at Tynecastle with their 'get it forward' patter). It's been more noticeable in the last couple of games as Hill's range of passing is good and he makes good balls into the channels. Souttar used to do it, and with Halkett and Kingsley missing so much this season, we've obviously been hamstrung in efforts to play that way, but it was a beautiful goal.

Hope you lads won’t be offended that I really couldn’t care less. 

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

It's easy to have the highest %shots on target in the league if most of them are from the penalty spot 😉

I refer you to the bit about "retaining possession and trying to engineer something better."

And it doesn't get much better than a dead ball eleven metres out with just the keeper to beat

Disclaimer: Except for viewers in Livingston

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Ah, the old "I couldn't care" response when caught talking pish. Timeless.

Ach, we all see it through the prism of our team. And Aberdeen have been shite at the back all season, so they're probably fed up with it.

One thing I've noticed already is Aberdeen (and Hibs) fans giving it the 'this league is so shite' chat. We get this whenever Hearts are better than their teams, as if McInnes' Aberdeen were finishing above Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league in his time there.

The reality, of course, is that Aberdeen's recent high league placings were built on a foundation of having a couple of years to play against genuinely f**k all in probably the weakest top-flight in memory with all but one of the other clubs that get five-figure crowds in genuine crisis, giving them the stability and cash to develop and build a solid side that set them up for a few years. That's history now, we've passed them by and I think it's slowly dawning on them. I expect the next Aberdeen manager to suffer from failing to keep up with us too before the penny fully drops. But fitba fans always see it through the prism of their own side.

Expect a lot of 'this is the worst league ever' chat in the next few months as we cruise home.

Edited by VincentGuerin

31 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

something lost on quite a few of the simpletons who sit around me at Tynecastle with their 'get it forward' patter. 

Actually getting to the point where I don't even enjoy going to Tynecastle anymore, full of greeting faced p***ks, 2-0 in half an hour and people were still moaning.

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Ach, we all see it through the prism of our team. And Aberdeen have been shite at the back all season, so they're probably fed up with it.

One thing I've noticed already is Aberdeen (and Hibs) fans giving it the 'this league is so shite' chat. We get this whenever Hearts are better than their teams, as if McInnes' Aberdeen were finishing above Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league in his time there.

The reality, of course, is that Aberdeen's recent high league placings were built on a foundation of having a couple of years to play against genuinely f**k all in probably the weakest top-flight in memory with all but one of the other clubs that get five-figure crowds in genuine crisis, giving them the stability and cash to develop and build a solid side that set them up for a few years. That's history now, we've passed them by and I think it's slowly dawning on them. I expect the next Aberdeen manager to suffer from failing to keep up with us too before the penny fully drops. But fitba fans always see it through the prism of their own side.

Expect a lot of 'this is the worst league ever' chat in the next few months as we cruise home.

It’s just fitba though. 

For all the bluster and shite, we’re similar sized clubs that go through ups and downs. 

When we were at our peak under mcinnes and hearts we’re struggling I wasn’t thinking we’d buried you for good, and it would be boring if we had. 

I remember when you finished 2nd under Romanov and the chat was hearts were in the distance for good then lo and behold two years later we finish 3rd with Darren mackie and Ricky foster. 

Hearts are now better and we just need to respond to it. But you hadn’t finished above us for 10 years or so before last season. The fact hearts didn’t provide any competition is entirely hearts problem. 

We might have to suffer a few years of hearts being better but it’ll swing back again. Who knows, hibs might even do something! 

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Actually getting to the point where I don't even enjoy going to Tynecastle anymore, full of greeting faced p***ks, 2-0 in half an hour and people were still moaning.

I marvel at it. Some of the moaning around me is so stupid that it's almost funny.

I'm no Pep Guardiola, but I think I have a reasonable level of understanding of what I'm looking at on the park for a layman, but it amazes me how many people go to the fitba their whole lives yet remain absolutely fucking clueless about why teams do certain things, or why players make or do not make certain passes.

Obviously, there are times players just make mistakes etc, but people who still don't see why we keep the ball at the back so much these days amaze me.