The Jam Tarts vs The Dons

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Ach, we all see it through the prism of our team. And Aberdeen have been shite at the back all season, so they're probably fed up with it.

One thing I've noticed already is Aberdeen (and Hibs) fans giving it the 'this league is so shite' chat. We get this whenever Hearts are better than their teams, as if McInnes' Aberdeen were finishing above Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league in his time there.

The reality, of course, is that Aberdeen's recent high league placings were built on a foundation of having a couple of years to play against genuinely f**k all in probably the weakest top-flight in memory with all but one of the other clubs that get five-figure crowds in genuine crisis, giving them the stability and cash to develop and build a solid side that set them up for a few years. That's history now, we've passed them by and I think it's slowly dawning on them. I expect the next Aberdeen manager to suffer from failing to keep up with us too before the penny fully drops. But fitba fans always see it through the prism of their own side.

Expect a lot of 'this is the worst league ever' chat in the next few months as we cruise home.

Good post this. Very accurate summation.

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I've not seen anybody make that "defence" here. 

But the "Shots on Target" number isn't a great metric anyway. It probably tells as much about style as quality

• Hearts are now on 42 goals from 93 Shots on target (45.2%, the highest in the league)
  • Aberdeen 35 from 93 (37.6%, fair to middling)
  • Hibs are 29/108 (29.6%, the lowest in the league)

Which might tell us about expert finishing but as likely tells us which teams are most fond of firing off speculative pot shots from long range as opposed to retaining possession and trying to engineer something better.

I was referring to Mr Goodwin's post match analysis, in which he grudgingly praised our clinicality (clinicism?)

But aye, we don't shoot that much, preferring to work better chances.  Some of them seem allergic to having a dig

2 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

The good co efficient will soon evaporate as you get pumped out the groups again. This season the co efficient must have taken a hammering. By the time that filters through the prize for 3rd will be back to qualifiers. 
It’s hardly in cement that you will finish 3rd forever , unlike the teams for the top 2 places.

Europa League or Conference League group stage qualification is guaranteed this year and next for whoever finishes third and/or wins the Scottish Cup, friend.

Hearts also performed to par in Europe this season. We beat the team we should have beaten, and lost to the teams that have larger budgets than we do.

I would hope we can at least match that next season, while surely the Old Firm won't be as poor as they were either.

2 hours ago, GreenGray said:

Yes, the standard of the league was so good last year that the other European qualifiers were Dundee United and Motherwell.

I know plenty of Hibs fans who referred to the league as shite the season we finished 3rd also.

The league is shite. Thankfully we're above all that. Probably why we utter horsed Aberdeen last night.

35 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Europa League or Conference League group stage qualification is guaranteed this year and next for whoever finishes third and/or wins the Scottish Cup, friend.

Hearts also performed to par in Europe this season. We beat the team we should have beaten, and lost to the teams that have larger budgets than we do.

I would hope we can at least match that next season, while surely the Old Firm won't be as poor as they were either.

The league is shite. Thankfully we're above all that. Probably why we utter horsed Aberdeen last night.

I’m fully aware of the short term continuation of 3rd gaining group stage football, amigo.

My point was it won’t last, just like the old firm didn’t.

3 hours ago, GreenGray said:

Yes, the standard of the league was so good last year that the other European qualifiers were Dundee United and Motherwell.

I know plenty of Hibs fans who referred to the league as shite the season we finished 3rd also.

The teams who qualify for Europe are shite every year. It's just funny how some people seem to notice how shite it is every time Hearts are better than their team. Bless.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

The problem is that when we were losing to Fiorentina with half a team missing, Aberdeen were winning League Cup ties against Annan and Partick Thistle. So, for some of the less on the ball, the narrative became free-scoring Dons and crisis-club Hearts. At least in their minds.

Now that reality has bitten (as predicted), they're swinging about for something to make them feel better. So, the fact that we performed to par is just forgotten. Doesn't fit, I'm afraid.

3 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

I’m fully aware of the short term continuation of 3rd gaining group stage football, amigo.

ThErE iS nO oLd FiRm 🥴

If we qualify for the Europa/Conference League group stages three years on the bounce that will be £15m in the bank. That sort of money will have us miles ahead of the rest for years to come.

Edited by Elixir

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The problem is that when we were losing to Fiorentina with half a team missing, Aberdeen were winning League Cup ties against Annan and Partick Thistle. So, for some of the less on the ball, the narrative became free-scoring Dons and crisis-club Hearts. At least in their minds.

Now that reality has bitten (as predicted), they're swinging about for something to make them feel better. So, the fact that we performed to par is just forgotten. Doesn't fit, I'm afraid.

Indeed. Of course, playing against Serie A sides and sides chasing the Turkish title will only serve to improve our standards - even if we were taught a lesson in those matches.

51 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Greg Stewart didn't last long as a good player either eh.

Nothing lasts forever, you're right.

55 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

The trick is to scoop the rewards whilst it does last, and then once you need to qualify through a play off, hopefully the money invested in the squad makes that more of a possibility. HMFC qualified for the UEFA Cup by beating Braga home and away years ago. Same with Aberdeen a few years ago too, I think?

5 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Have they replaced the word 'pumping' with 'losing' again? :lol:

Funny how when Hibs lose a derby 3-0 it's a pumping and yet when Hearts lose 8-1 on aggregate to Fiorentina and 7-1 to the Istanbul mob it's just losing instead.

It's Europe man, not something you have to concern yourself with. 👍

57 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

We're shite so the league is shite is a very hibs thing. Sweet that other teams are adopting their stance. 🙂

If you don’t think the standard of the league has been poor for 2/3 seasons now you’re mental. 

For some reasons Hearts fans take that as people saying they are shite also. They are as paranoid on this topic as they are about their rivals attendances.

1 minute ago, GreenGray said:

If you don’t think the standard of the league has been poor for 2/3 seasons now you’re mental. 

For some reasons Hearts fans take that as people saying they are shite also. They are as paranoid on this topic as they are about their rivals attendances.

Aye a Scottish team reaches a European final and hibs lie about their attendances. I'm ******* mental. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

Aye a Scottish team reaches a European final and hibs lie about their attendances. I'm ******* mental. 🙂

Not sure what Rangers making the final says about the standard of the rest of the league to be frank, they didn’t have to beat Hibs, Aberdeen or Dundee United to get there.