The Jam Tarts vs The Dons

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s just fitba though. 

For all the bluster and shite, we’re similar sized clubs that go through ups and downs. 

When we were at our peak under mcinnes and hearts we’re struggling I wasn’t thinking we’d buried you for good, and it would be boring if we had. 

I remember when you finished 2nd under Romanov and the chat was hearts were in the distance for good then lo and behold two years later we finish 3rd with Darren mackie and Ricky foster. 

Hearts are now better and we just need to respond to it. But you hadn’t finished above us for 10 years or so before last season. The fact hearts didn’t provide any competition is entirely hearts problem. 

We might have to suffer a few years of hearts being better but it’ll swing back again. Who knows, hibs might even do something! 

Of course. It's always been this way and hopefully always will be.

The big unknown at the moment is how unsettling to the balance the European money will be if we get it a few years running. We're not going to turn into Man City, but we could become very difficult to compete with for a few years. While I will enjoy absolutely ripping the pish out my Aberdeen mates (hiding in the group chat today), there has to be jeopardy for it to be fun.

If it were reversed, I'd be concerned about our medium-term ability to compete with Aberdeen. We've never really had a situation like this before where there's a tangible (potential) benefit to finishing third. Aberdeen seem to have run out of steam at the most inopportune time.

That last part of your post has me worried about you. Take some time away from the board. Go for a walk. Read a book. That's crazy talk.

Edited by VincentGuerin

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The big unknown at the moment is how unsettling to the balance the European money will be if we get it a few years running. We're not going to turn into Man City, but we could become very difficult to compete with for a few years. While I will enjoy absolutely ripping the pish out my Aberdeen mates (hiding in the group chat today), there has to be jeopardy for it to be fun.

If it were reversed, I'd be concerned about our medium-term ability to compete with Aberdeen. We've never really had a situation like this before where there's a tangible (potential) benefit to finishing third. Aberdeen seem to have run out of steam at the most inopportune time.

That last part of your post has me worried about you. Take some time away from the board. Go for a walk. Read a book. That's crazy talk.

Only said that last bit to lighten the mood. 

27 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Four shots on target in 80 minutes somehow producing five goals. They’ve broken the concept of xG, truly Satan’s club.

I mind last season there was some lad constantly sharing his xG etc table on Twitter predicting that our form was 'unsustainable'. I think the fact that we finished 500 points clear in third and are now well clear again should give some of these laddies pause for thought that perhaps their models don't tell them what they think they do.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Who knows, hibs might even do something! 

I'm certainly willing to admit that Aberdeen will improve and will doubtless provide a challenge for third again in the pretty near future - but let's not get carried away, eh...

I saw Aberdeen twice in a week back in the autumn, I was at the game at Tannadice when they lost 4-0 and then the game they won 2-0 against Hearts at Pittodrie. What seems amazing to me is the recurring weakness in defensive wide areas. What do they do in training?

Against United they were exposed badly at left-back and then threw in some calamity central defensive errors on top of that, all while not looking like a bad side when they had the ball. The following week they could well have lost to a Hearts side with no real defence to speak of, and could easily have been 2-3 down if Hearts hadn't been wasteful, again shambolic central defence and the left-hand side of the park giving up lots of space. I left Pittodrie that day pretty confident Hearts would finish clear of Aberdeen, even having lost the game.

Last night they just repeated that defensive performance. Calamity at centre-half and far too easily got at on their left for goals two and four, as well as the chance that hit the post and Humphrys' miss. They must be a dream to prepare to play, as you know they'll make errors at the back and are soft on the left, and it's mad that they haven't done anything to address that over the last few months.

They'll probably recover for a bit, but they've shown that every now and then they are just going to take an absolute pasting, and I'd imagine the next one will get Goodwin the sack if this one doesn't.

56 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Four shots on target in 80 minutes somehow producing five goals. They’ve broken the concept of xG, truly Satan’s club.

xG is the cryptocurrency of football stats. 

Only bawbags think it's anything meaningful

Edited by Stylish Kid

8 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

xG is the cryptocurrency of football stats. 

Only bawbags think it's anything meaningful

We had higher xG last night than Fiorentina and Istanbul Basaksehir had at home to us.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

You could call Sibbick's pass 'a simple ball over the top' if you ignore the movement that creates the space and the fact that Hearts clearly try to create this very situation quite often (something lost on quite a few of the simpletons who sit around me at Tynecastle with their 'get it forward' patter). It's been more noticeable in the last couple of games as Hill's range of passing is good and he makes good balls into the channels. Souttar used to do it, and with Halkett and Kingsley missing so much this season, we've obviously been hamstrung in efforts to play that way, but it was a beautiful goal.

Are you still masturbating as you type this?

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

The good co efficient will soon evaporate as you get pumped out the groups again. This season the co efficient must have taken a hammering. By the time that filters through the prize for 3rd will be back to qualifiers. 
It’s hardly in cement that you will finish 3rd forever , unlike the teams for the top 2 places.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Ach, we all see it through the prism of our team. And Aberdeen have been shite at the back all season, so they're probably fed up with it.

One thing I've noticed already is Aberdeen (and Hibs) fans giving it the 'this league is so shite' chat. We get this whenever Hearts are better than their teams, as if McInnes' Aberdeen were finishing above Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league in his time there.

The reality, of course, is that Aberdeen's recent high league placings were built on a foundation of having a couple of years to play against genuinely f**k all in probably the weakest top-flight in memory with all but one of the other clubs that get five-figure crowds in genuine crisis, giving them the stability and cash to develop and build a solid side that set them up for a few years. That's history now, we've passed them by and I think it's slowly dawning on them. I expect the next Aberdeen manager to suffer from failing to keep up with us too before the penny fully drops. But fitba fans always see it through the prism of their own side.

Expect a lot of 'this is the worst league ever' chat in the next few months as we cruise home.

Yes, the standard of the league was so good last year that the other European qualifiers were Dundee United and Motherwell.

I know plenty of Hibs fans who referred to the league as shite the season we finished 3rd also.

Edited by GreenGray