Celtic v Rangers. League Cup final. 26 February

Flybhoy

On 18/01/2023 at 19:02, Dunfermline Don said:

Have they decided which ends of the ground each teams fans will be at yet? 😂😂😂😂

I see that the prices are pretty outrageous as well but if it sells out then there can’t be any complaints.

Unfortunately it would also set a precedent for prices at future finals though. 

We might not to have to worry too much about that...

This is the first final I in have been ticketless for about 15 years so couch it will probably be for me.

Can see a few robust challenges being put on Kyogo early doors like before to test out his shoulder. Would rather have Maeda down the centre if he does have to come off rather than throw Oh in but I like the look of him anyway.

Jota has been off it a bit past few games I feel and wonder if Ange would be tempted to start Abada given how much he likes ghosting in and that Barasic often likes a wee nap in these games.  Would be happy with either though.

I've been impressed by Tillman of late so hoping he's out but I'm expecting him to start tbh.

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

Fashion disaster 

If only there was some kind of points based system to settle this.

Edited by Drew Brees

22 minutes ago, AJF said:

I wish players would leave out the bravado before a big match.

While this is true, so much of it is directly the fault of journalists with acres of pages to fill, who have basically written their story beforehand and just go fishing for a quote, any old quote, they can loosely hang it on. I hate them all.

27 minutes ago, AJF said:

I wish players would leave out the bravado before a big match.

I think some of it falls on the clubs too to ensure if their player is giving such an interview they are given direction on what not to talk about.

Can guarantee the journos will try get a bite from Ange or Celtic players in their upcoming interviews also

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Found this quite interesting from the 2019 cup final we only have 2 left at our club (not sure why Forrest was scored out) whilst The Rangers have have near enough the same players. Not sure why Helanders been scored out I assume they just think he's dead or something.

20230224_113945.jpg

20230224_113941.jpg

What’s more interesting is when you consider the player trading models. All the players who have left Celtic (other than Brown and Hayes) are now playing at a higher level in a more competitive and higher ranked league ( I include Lewis Morgan in this).

Evidence indeed that Celtic’s model works better as from the Rangers team only Aribo is playing at a higher level.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What’s more interesting is when you consider the player trading models. All the players who have left Celtic (other than Brown and Hayes) are now playing at a higher level in a more competitive and higher ranked league ( I include Lewis Morgan in this).

Evidence indeed that Celtic’s model works better as from the Rangers team only Aribo is playing at a higher level.

Yeah would agree with this. There is quite a few players in that team that would still get in our team today. I hear fans and even their manager moaning about how much we spent since but that's because we have replaced an entire team/squad since then using money from players sales and still churn out profits. It's a bit moronic really to moan about it as it's just a good trading model really.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Yeah would agree with this. There is quite a few players in that team that would still get in our team today. I hear fans and even their manager moaning about how much we spent since but that's because we have replaced an entire team/squad since then using money from players sales and still churn out profits. It's a bit moronic really to moan about it as it's just a good trading model really.

Also of the 2 I mentioned (signed for Aberdeen)plus Forrest and McGregor, those are probably the 4 that never had aspirations/ambitions to play outside of Scotland and would say Celtic was the pinnacle of their career so were never likely to be traded to a better level.

20 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yep, it signifies that we have held onto a core squad too long and needed a refresh way before now.

In relation to the trading model though, I'd say we are approaching Celtic's level in that regard. We are still nowhere near as good as them at it, but if you consider in the last 2 years, players sold will net us ~£41.5M in comparison to Celtic's ~£45M then we are on the right track.

Taking into account we should've cashed in on players such as Morelos and Kent when their stock was high, we could've done a lot better.

We invested heavily in putting together a squad to win the league yet have seemed to blindly believe that squad would remain competitive without any turnover and investment. Foolish to expect that, considering we are a way behind Celtic in terms of resources.

Edited by AJF