New sayings that us old duffers won't understand

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm not sure what "bae" means 

And there seems to have been some fud called Salt Bae who got his mitts on the World Cup which annoyed folk. I've no idea who this person is unless he's the cousin of Aberlady Bae.

It means the same as babe - basically "she's my bae" is an American phrase that's been transported here and spread via Love Island

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm not sure what "bae" means 

And there seems to have been some fud called Salt Bae who got his mitts on the World Cup which annoyed folk. I've no idea who this person is unless he's the cousin of Aberlady Bae.

Before anyone else.

Its a shite phrase/word.

22 hours ago, Leith Green said:

The phrase "Oh my Days " being used outside of urban London can GTF.

Especially when parents try it on in order to fit in with their teenage kids.

I'm of an age where that expression sounds more natural coming from a grand parent that it does coming from urban London.

18 minutes ago, thisal said:

I'm of an age where that expression sounds more natural coming from a grand parent that it does coming from urban London.

Interesting, I had always seen it as from London, and even more than that from the Afro Carribean communities in SE London / Croydon type areas.

Maybe I am more out of touch than I thought !!

Seeing the way younger people communicate online or in text messages etc hurts my IQ.

Apparently the single word "bruh" is an appropriate reply to almost any message in all circumstances, from expressing surprise, confusion or disgust, to simply acknowledging that they have read the message.

1 minute ago, Oystercatcher said:

I'm watching last chance U on netflix about a college basketball team.

They say "finna" instead of going to.

"Ah'm finna be there"

I had to put on subtitles (like I do with most American tv shows now)

I get that this comes from a common typo which became popular in its incorrect form, and it's one thing to type it out, but actually speaking it out loud should be a criminal offence.

37 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I get that this comes from a common typo which became popular in its incorrect form, and it's one thing to type it out, but actually speaking it out loud should be a criminal offence.

Nah it's a progression from "planning to/arranging to/going to", which became "fixing to", and then the pronounciation evolved and condensed it through "fittin ta", into "finna". Speaking it out loud was the reason it reached it's final form.

Which I'm sure is also the reason the monster/demon appears towards the end of a lot of films.

Edited by Al B

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

Nah it's a progression from "planning to/arranging to/going to", which became "fixing to", and then the pronounciation evolved and condensed it into "finna". Speaking it out loud was the reason it reached it's final form.

Which I'm sure is also the reason the monster/demon appears towards the end of a lot of films.

Well I'm even more clueless and out of touch than I thought. I always assumed it came from mistyping 'gonna' one key to the left.

These crazy kids are out of control.

29 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Well I'm even more clueless and out of touch than I thought. I always assumed it came from mistyping 'gonna' one key to the left.

These crazy kids are out of control.

Most everything the “youth” are creating these days is based upon shortening typing time for messages. Lots of recent use of the word “Natty” for National Championship when referring to the NCAA (American) Football Playoff, stuff like that.