New sayings that us old duffers won't understand

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Folk on here have tried to explain the phrase “jumped the shark” to me but I’m still none the wiser. 

I don't know if anyone has explained this as I couldn't be arsed checking, but it's from one of the last Happy Days episodes where Fonzi is doing a waterskiing competition and jumps over a shark. It refers to the point at which the series became reliant on too far fetched a premise and a sure sign that it was time to stop. Viewers' suspension of disbelief being too greatly tested.

Edited by velo army

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t give two hoots if ‘the kids’ today use phrases or sayings that only they use, or understand, but the one thing that I really have trouble accepting is this - in my day, if someone was classed as a ‘celebrity’, it was generally because whatever their talent or skill was, it had taken them into the public conciousness. Be it singing, playing an instrument, acting, comedy, whatever. I don’t think I will ever, ever, get my head around someone being ‘a celebrity’ because they are an ‘influencer’. Fashion advice and make-up tips online? Millions of followers? 

Get yer’sel tae’ fcuk…

Just my opinion, as an auld miserable barsteward… 

To be fair, the BBC also has 'celebrity' editions of game shows which are basically a round up of anyone in the canteen.

Feel like I could probably explain a couple here:

"Touch Grass" is one that's popped up a lot recently, basically an insult usually given to those that spend far too much time posting online, it's given to those that are out of touch with reality and should spend time away from the internet to gain a fresh perspective.

Example:
Unhinged Person: "There's a Police, and SPFL and a Scottish Government agenda led by Nicola against my team, and it's all headed up by underground meetings at Bute House" 
Replier: "Go and touch grass mate"

"Based" is quite the opposite of above, a compliment usually applied in the comments/replies of a post when you agree with someone for usually doing something positive, or posting an opinion that could be controversial is at least principled (or at least the commentor sees it at such). 

Occasionally used ironically in dark bits of the internet - 4Chan etc - which is where it originated, but is used commonly as on the internet, so the former description is accurate most of the time.

For example the tweet below, where Dave Bautista from the Avengers movies, decided to change his tattoos dedicated to a friend (Manny Pacquaio apparently) after he found it he was a homophobe. Hence a LGBT person is saying he's "based".

13 hours ago, velo army said:

I don't know if anyone has explained this as I couldn't be arsed checking, but it's from one of the last Happy Days episodes where Fonzi is doing a waterskiing competition and jumps over a shark. It refers to the point at which the series became reliant on too far fetched a premise and a sure sign that it was time to stop. Viewers' suspension of disbelief being too greatly tested.

Actually you are wrong here.  It is much earlier than that.

It is Episode 3 of Season 5 and the show ran for 10 seasons.

9 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Actually you are wrong here.  It is much earlier than that.

It is Episode 3 of Season 5 and the show ran for 10 seasons.

Bloody hell. The shite people will continue to watch on TV. Plus ca change etc.

18 hours ago, velo army said:

This is straight out of the subculture that begat grime rap. I do enjoy grime tbh.

I had a young lad behind me on the bus yesterday using the word "bro" every third word and also used "sick" a few times.

Utterly, utterly appalling.

Anyway, back on topic. The other day I was saying how I listened to a particular Scotland game on my tranny (it was a Euro96 qualifier) much to the absolute horror of my 20 something colleagues.

Using lingo from an area hundreds of miles away from where your from to sound cool, is awful patter no matter your age

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t give two hoots if ‘the kids’ today use phrases or sayings that only they use, or understand, but the one thing that I really have trouble accepting is this - in my day, if someone was classed as a ‘celebrity’, it was generally because whatever their talent or skill was, it had taken them into the public conciousness. Be it singing, playing an instrument, acting, comedy, whatever. I don’t think I will ever, ever, get my head around someone being ‘a celebrity’ because they are an ‘influencer’. Fashion advice and make-up tips online? Millions of followers? 

Get yer’sel tae’ fcuk…

Just my opinion, as an auld miserable barsteward… 

Revisionist "yer da" rubbish. 

Far more people were famous for being "members of society" in the 20th century than is the case today.

On another note lots of people seem to be annoyed that black and Asian people have their own slang and dialect and that it had gained cultural traction.