Glasgow Gretna myth …busted!

46 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I remember David Murray describing Kilmarnock building an 18,000 seater stadium as a lack of ambition at the time. 

He had loads of money and bankrolled a club from Glasgow who lived outwith their means and nothing went wrong there. 

Top 30 Rangers Fc GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Their wee hoose will never open!

Edited by AuAl

50 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There is a public safety exception.

What rule is this? Couldn't see it when I checked? Also, what would be 'unsafe' about playing Celtic or Sevco at Lesssr Hampden?

22 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You should ask some Dundee fans about Callum Melville.  "Debt free", under the ownership of an astute businessman...

See also Masterton, Gavin and Yorkston, John at East End.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What rule is this? Couldn't see it when I checked? Also, what would be 'unsafe' about playing Celtic or Sevco at Lesssr Hampden?

If the local constabulary determines it would be unsafe to conduct a match at a venue for some reason(s), the SPFL would have no choice but to comply and find a differing location. As for how, if the police say they cannot control 10,000 pissed and pissed off Celtic fans outside Lesser…

Yes, you guys are all spot on.

But, right now, I have been watching Queens Park for 50 years and week in week out we would get horsed by Albion Rovers and Berwick Rangers.

How about right now you just let this old guy enjoy the fact that we are looking down at the rest of you and enjoying the moment. Tomorrow I will probably have to wait 120 minutes for an ambulance before I finally snuff it. Hopefully it happens while we are top of the championship and just before the Gretna thing kicks in.

Let's be honest, it does not matter which team we support. Any one of us would love to be doing what Queens Park are enjoying right now. Just give us our moment, it won' t last, we know that. 

Cheers. 

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

If the local constabulary determines it would be unsafe to conduct a match at a venue for some reason(s), the SPFL would have no choice but to comply and find a differing location. As for how, if the police say they cannot control 10,000 pissed and pissed off Celtic fans outside Lesser…

But they could say that about any ground, and didn't when Sevco were coming up through the leagues.

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Why start this thread…it was always going one way 

The state of some though who are begging for the club to collapse is a bit of a riddy

1 hour ago, Spiders67 said:

Don't really see the need to create this thread. Just inviting a pile on

Fwiw the Gretna comparisons are lazy imo but we're just going to have to embrace it for the time being and hope we prove those wrong and sort out our tinpot wee stadium soon

Oh dear, are the big boys shouting at you? Queen’s Park took the game to the world. The leagues are littered with former QP players. Our national team has one as captain. Before the SPFL came along our development teams were regularly tapped and we never got a bean. Since the SPFL formed we’ve been bumped down the ladder that we arguably built. So the club are entitled to enjoy what is a huge day for our future plans. And all Queen’s Park supporters should be behind it. 

Other fans are entitled to their views. Maybe soon, someone will be bold enough to applaud Scotland’s oldest club from deciding not to die and instead make the very best of what they have. Fortune favours the brave!

23 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Oh dear, are the big boys shouting at you? Queen’s Park took the game to the world. The leagues are littered with former QP players. Our national team has one as captain. Before the SPFL came along our development teams were regularly tapped and we never got a bean. Since the SPFL formed we’ve been bumped down the ladder that we arguably built. So the club are entitled to enjoy what is a huge day for our future plans. And all Queen’s Park supporters should be behind it. 

Other fans are entitled to their views. Maybe soon, someone will be bold enough to applaud Scotland’s oldest club from deciding not to die and instead make the very best of what they have. Fortune favours the brave!

The leagues are littered with former players of most teams.

Many clubs had their development teams 'tapped' regularly.

Multiple clubs have had a former player be national team captain. 

Since the SPFL your team has not been bumped down the ladder even slightly, unless you think clubs should have been redistributed based on their achievements over a century ago? Clubs are in the leagues they deserve to be based on how they perform on the pitch.

Incidentally, Queens Park were not one of the 11 founder members of the Scottish Football League.

I don't actually have any ill will against Queens Park and would actually quite like to see them go up, but let's not pretend they're seem fairytale story or that, in 2023, clubs somehow 'owe' them.

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

Why start this thread…it was always going one way 

The state of some though who are begging for the club to collapse is a bit of a riddy

Correctly mundo.I've had a decent bevvy tonight and I'm going to go home, put the league table up on the pc screen and have a massive w**k. I'm luvvin' it.

8 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Dundee are actually mid table for average squad age, with the fifth oldest. We have the second youngest.

I stand corrected on that front. Main point still stands.