Glasgow Gretna myth …busted!

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Congrats. Maybe if you ask Stenhousemuir and Syngenta really nicely, they’ll let you put up a plaque somewhere in Ochilview to commemorate your elite status?

I'm sure Stenny are loving the cash we're giving them. That's probably worth a plaque.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

27 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

When is this stage in the QP fairytale?

Rowan Alexander opens up on Gretna hurt as he targets return ...

If I was one of the 60 original Gretna fans, I'd still be pleasuring myself at the thought of moving from English non league to Scottish championships, a cup final and European football.

Bring it on!

31 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

This is going to be the best thread on P and B. Aye, even better than the Darvel one when Darvel Legend was posting regularly.

Loving it.

Yep, these threads never come back to bite the fanbase that started them in the arse. 

It's also the 'Govanhill Gretna' so you can just go and change that title right now.

3 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

I can see them playing home games at my ground next season if they go up(Hamilton) if Lesser Hampden still has a ludicrous capacity and home games against The Old Firm at Hampden which would easily bring in over £1million in revenue which would sustain them.

Would it play out that way in practice?

Surely the very fact that moving games v OF into the National Stadium to generate £1M per year would be of great assistance in getting Queen's Park promoted and/or helping them stay up, is the very reason the other Premiership and Championship clubs would refuse to accept it.

2 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

I can see them playing at Accies until Lesser Hampden is up to scratch capacity wise as our ground would be able to handle three teams if Queens played home games on a Friday or Sunday with Accies/Clyde on The Saturday.

Airdrie would probably be the only other feasible short term solution

As for Hampden,it is The Old Firm so rules can be changed to accommodate.

Similarly why would the other clubs accept a perpetuation of them being unable to play on Saturday afternoons.

(Also worth noting that Hamilton is used every other Sunday by your womens team, while Airdrie has 3 clubs using it - with Glasgow Uni frequently having to play Fridays/Sundays + midweeks - plus another womens teams using it every other Sunday in shape of Celtic).

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Surely the very fact that moving games v OF into the National Stadium to generate £1M per year would be of great assistance in getting Queen's Park promoted and/or helping them stay up, is the very reason the other Premiership and Championship clubs would refuse to accept it?

Similarly why would the other clubs accept a perpetuation of them not being able to play on Saturday afternoons?

(Also worth noting that Hamilton is used every other Sunday by your womens team, while Airdrie has 3 clubs using it - with Glasgow Uni frequently having to play Fridays and midweeks - plus 2 womens teams using it every Sunday being Celtic + Gartcairn).

Don't disagree with any of this. I doubt any QP fan would defend whole debacle that is Lesser. Personally I would rather play at Lesser. However much as I hate it there are 2 clubs that have huge sway in Scottish football and, without getting ahead of myself, I can see them forcing a larger ground being used were that eventuality ever to arise (before a more realistic capacity is possible at Lesser). Rightly or wrongly it will inevitably be under the guise of public safety or some other issue......... 

3 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

We've already got that sorted. Recently signed a 50 year lease for exclusive use of the former Police Sports ground in Pollok Estate. Superb facility and we're shoring up any areas that are needed now that we have the lease signed. Grass pitches, artificial pitches, floodlights, kitchen/dining area, sports science clinic etc. 

Despite all the route-one comments about our first team, which doesn't compare remotely to what Mileson did, the club and it's main sponsor are investing significantly more money in the future than they are the now.

What about flood defences - it was underwater last week.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

When is this stage in the QP fairytale?

Rowan Alexander opens up on Gretna hurt as he targets return ...

Careful what you wish for.

That walloper Queens Park super fan 'ah hivnae missed a game in 44 years and even managed to weasel my way in during covid' that they wheel out for every Queens Park puff piece, thinks they are winning it this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64234919

Edited by Jamie_M

“The people involved are business people”

Every appalling football club owner who has chalked up massive debts and run their clubs into the ground has been a business person.

I remember back when Roger Mitchell was trying to set up SPL TV he said to a doubter in Sportsound that all the people involved in the SPL at that time were “successful businessmen” and that he’d looked round the table at the meeting and been confident in them all. That table would have included about three or four different clubs who were about to go bust. 

4 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

The issue is they have a ground currently too small even for this level of football.A 4-5,000 capacity ground should have been the plan, but this Royal Box fiasco has affected the capacity I think.

My point was I can see them playing at Accies until Lesser Hampden is up to scratch capacity wise as our ground would be able to handle three teams if Queens played home games on a Friday or Sunday with Accies/Clyde on The Saturday.

They wouldn't do it at Firhill due to wrecking the pitch,so Airdrie would probably be the only other feasible short term solution unless they just use Hampden till Lesser Hampden is ready.

As for Hampden,it is The Old Firm so rules can be changed to accommodate.My team  played at three different home grounds a few times when we were homeless,so that issue would be overcome.

Pretty sure now with licenced grounds you have to play all your games at your home stadium with NO exceptions. Aberdeen will be playing at Darvel soon and Talbot hosted Hearts recently. Both Celtic and Rangers have played at small stadiums in the cups. Can’t recall a game being moved since 2016 (East Kilbride v Celtic). It’d be more likely the SPFL would change the rules back to 6000 seats and force QPFC to relocate than allow them to move individual games as other clubs would certainly have something to say about it especially Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen who would want bigger allocations for their away support.  QPFC realistically would either have to choose to use Lesser Hampden (small capacity), move back to Hampden (probably expensive) or another ground share with ????.  

Edited by San Starko Rover

Don't really see the need to create this thread. Just inviting a pile on

Fwiw the Gretna comparisons are lazy imo but we're just going to have to embrace it for the time being and hope we prove those wrong and sort out our tinpot wee stadium soon

8 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Pretty sure now with licenced grounds you have to play all your games at your home stadium with NO exceptions. Aberdeen will be playing at Darvel soon and Talbot hosted Hearts recently. Both Celtic and Rangers have played at small stadiums in the cups. Can’t recall a game being moved since 2016 (East Kilbride v Celtic). It’d be more likely the SPFL would change the rules back to 6000 seats and force QPFC to relocate than allow them to move individual games as other clubs would certainly have something to say about it especially Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen who would want bigger allocations for their away support.  QPFC realistically would either have to choose to use Lesser Hampden (small capacity), move back to Hampden (probably expensive) or another ground share with ????.  

There is a public safety exception.