Glasgow Gretna myth …busted!

7 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Fwiw,I can see them playing home games at my ground next season if they go up(Hamilton) if Lesser Hampden still has a ludicrous capacity and home games against The Old Firm at Hampden which would easily bring in over £1million in revenue which would sustain them.

I agree that it’s a ludicrous capacity but what would be the point of spending all that money on Lesser Hampden and then still ground-sharing? As for OF games at Hampden, I’m not sure you’re allowed to move league matches several times a season in order to make more money. 

Edited by JagsCG

This Elite status stuff is looking evermore like a waste of finances.

We are in the bottom tier - we decided it wasn't worth the outlay to achieve this standard set by the SFA but still have ambitions to develop our own youth talent and it'sa big part of our plans with the future with them following a 'blueprint' developed by Gordon Strachan (which might turn out to be terrible - time will tell).

We currently have one of the youngest, if not the youngest, squads in the league and have Harrision Sharp, Cammy Kerr (who is too old to be considered a 'youth' anymore), Josh Mulligan, Max Anderson, Finlay Robertson and Lyall Cameron who have all came through our youth system that have featured for us significantly in the league this season with the likes of Sam Fisher, Lake Strachan and Jack Wilkie also featuring in the cups and now out on loan.

The Elite system might be amazing but all it's proving within the context of this thread is that Queen's Park are throwing a hell of a lot of money about which leans into the Gretna comparisons. I mean, a youth coach from the top of Dutch football? 

Just now, JagsCG said:

I agree that it’s a ludicrous capacity but what would be the point of spending all that money on Lesser Hampden and then still ground-sharing? As for OF games at Hampden, I’m not sure you’re allowed to move league matches several times a season in order to make more money. 

The issue is they have a ground currently too small even for this level of football.A 4-5,000 capacity ground should have been the plan, but this Royal Box fiasco has affected the capacity I think.

My point was I can see them playing at Accies until Lesser Hampden is up to scratch capacity wise as our ground would be able to handle three teams if Queens played home games on a Friday or Sunday with Accies/Clyde on The Saturday.

They wouldn't do it at Firhill due to wrecking the pitch,so Airdrie would probably be the only other feasible short term solution unless they just use Hampden till Lesser Hampden is ready.

As for Hampden,it is The Old Firm so rules can be changed to accommodate.My team  played at three different home grounds a few times when we were homeless,so that issue would be overcome.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We currently have one of the youngest, if not the youngest, squads in the league

Dundee are actually mid table for average squad age, with the fifth oldest. We have the second youngest.

Edited by Zanetti

29 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Not entirely down to the academy, which I think is actually elite level now. It did go over budget however which didn't help.

Most of the loss was refurbishing the training ground (where the academy is) that went well over budget. 

We've already got that sorted. Recently signed a 50 year lease for exclusive use of the former Police Sports ground in Pollok Estate. Superb facility and we're shoring up any areas that are needed now that we have the lease signed. Grass pitches, artificial pitches, floodlights, kitchen/dining area, sports science clinic etc. 

Despite all the route-one comments about our first team, which doesn't compare remotely to what Mileson did, the club and it's main sponsor are investing significantly more money in the future than they are the now.

32 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

The problem I have with Queens Park is the cack-handed and shambolic rebuilding of Lesser Hampden -in particular the nonsensical "Royal Box".

A Queens Park side at the top end of this League/top division would have decent enough crowds to sustain full-time football and an Elite Youth Academy without Willie Haughey's or the sale of Hampden money.

Fwiw,I can see them playing home games at my ground next season if they go up(Hamilton) if Lesser Hampden still has a ludicrous capacity and home games against The Old Firm at Hampden which would easily bring in over £1million in revenue which would sustain them.

Your comments are all valid and a source of much frustration for QP fans also. This topic is about the good stuff happening at the club. Maybe some enlightened directors at other clubs will see the light one day too and Scottish football as a whole will be in a better place.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This Elite status stuff is looking evermore like a waste of finances.

We are in the bottom tier - we decided it wasn't worth the outlay to achieve this standard set by the SFA but still have ambitions to develop our own youth talent and it'sa big part of our plans with the future with them following a 'blueprint' developed by Gordon Strachan (which might turn out to be terrible - time will tell).

We currently have one of the youngest, if not the youngest, squads in the league and have Harrision Sharp, Cammy Kerr (who is too old to be considered a 'youth' anymore), Josh Mulligan, Max Anderson, Finlay Robertson and Lyall Cameron who have all came through our youth system that have featured for us significantly in the league this season with the likes of Sam Fisher, Lake Strachan and Jack Wilkie also featuring in the cups and now out on loan.

The Elite system might be amazing but all it's proving within the context of this thread is that Queen's Park are throwing a hell of a lot of money about which leans into the Gretna comparisons. I mean, a youth coach from the top of Dutch football? 

According to TM you have the 4th oldest ave. at 25.5 which is young but many of the other Championship clubs also have young squads. Accies have the youngest at 23.

source - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-championship/startseite/wettbewerb/SC2

57 minutes ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

The issue is they have a ground currently too small even for this level of football.A 4-5,000 capacity ground should have been the plan, but this Royal Box fiasco has affected the capacity I think.

My point was I can see them playing at Accies until Lesser Hampden is up to scratch capacity wise as our ground would be able to handle three teams if Queens played home games on a Friday or Sunday with Accies/Clyde on The Saturday.

They wouldn't do it at Firhill due to wrecking the pitch,so Airdrie would probably be the only other feasible short term solution unless they just use Hampden till Lesser Hampden is ready.

That's all fair, I must've read it wrong I thought you were suggesting they groundshare with Accies even after Lesser Hampden opens (due to the larger capacity at NDP). Didn't know they had plans to increase the capacity of Lesser Hampden beyond what has already been reported, would certainly make sense to do so especially if they get promoted. QP fans must be absolutely fed-up of ground sharing though, not particularly good if they had to have another season elsewhere too. 

Edited by JagsCG