Glasgow Gretna myth …busted!

There’s been a fair bit of speculation about QP’s future plans so I thought this deserved it’s own place and anyone, of any club, interested in the development of young players can see where we’re going. It’s been a year since Martin Beuker joined us from AZ Alkmaar and his structure of coaches and how the club will play, and be properly compensated by teams who take players from us, is all in place now. Regardless of our final position in this year’s campaign, the future looks very promising indeed.

Here’s the press statement, plus the CAS page from the SFA website…

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-awarded-club-academy-scotland-elite-status/?fbclid=IwAR2nuWKU-rtz222NbcO93O7M_PzZb4OChz-LB5SutcdZWuf7Q3QxTvF9cSc

image.thumb.png.c9441cff81c2919c29e58793313085b8.png

8 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

There’s been a fair bit of speculation about QP’s future plans so I thought this deserved it’s own place and anyone, of any club, interested in the development of young players can see where we’re going. It’s been a year since Martin Beuker joined us from AZ Alkmaar and his structure of coaches and how the club will play, and be properly compensated by teams who take players from us, is all in place now. Regardless of our final position in this year’s campaign, the future looks very promising indeed.

Here’s the press statement, plus the CAS page from the SFA website…

https://queensparkfc.co.uk/queens-park-awarded-club-academy-scotland-elite-status/?fbclid=IwAR2nuWKU-rtz222NbcO93O7M_PzZb4OChz-LB5SutcdZWuf7Q3QxTvF9cSc

image.thumb.png.c9441cff81c2919c29e58793313085b8.png

So if Queens Park fail to develop anyone worth money every season, will banks accept “Andy Robertson played for us” as payment? 

Did St Mirren not j until post 1.6 million losses connected to their academy and they are only at Performance level?

Questions have been asked about QP finances on here and elsewhere. Obviously there was 6 million for sale of Hampden which would go towards the development of Lesser Hampden. 

Will any excess sustain the club  in the interim? Hard to see a full time club and academy being sustained on crowds of around 1000-1200 though. 

Did you really expect anything other than small minded bitter responses to this from supporters of other clubs?

Of course there is a risk in what Queens Park are doing but then there is an even bigger risk of sinking out of the senior leagues by doing nothing. Just look at the mess Clyde are in.

The people behind this are business people. The academy thing will help attract grants, sponsorship etc. Its just part of the bigger picture. The size of our current support is not were we will eventually end up. 3200 at Hampden recently even if it was a lot of freebies shows there is potential.

I believe there will soon be news on the ground situation taking into account if we stay in the championship or get promoted.

Anyway, top of the championship following two successive promotions, shows we are doing something right. 

2 minutes ago, Mission said:

Did you really expect anything other than small minded bitter responses to this from supporters of other clubs?

Of course there is a risk in what Queens Park are doing but then there is an even bigger risk of sinking out of the senior leagues by doing nothing. Just look at the mess Clyde are in.

The people behind this are business people. The academy thing will help attract grants, sponsorship etc. Its just part of the bigger picture. The size of our current support is not were we will eventually end up. 3200 at Hampden recently even if it was a lot of freebies shows there is potential.

I believe there will soon be news on the ground situation taking into account if we stay in the championship or get promoted.

Anyway, top of the championship following two successive promotions, shows we are doing something right. 

Most people involved in running football clubs are.

4 minutes ago, Mission said:

So where are they going to end up then? Some amateur league?

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

In my experience, those can be the most untrustworthy. 

You mean like Sir David Murray? Brooks Mileson? Vladimir Romanov? Those sort of businesspeople.

7 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

I think what annoys us is not the suggestion that what QP are doing is risky and might not necessarily be sustainable. Of course it might not work.

What is annoying is the lazy Gretna comparisons. Whatever we are doing, it is a million miles from what Gretna did.

Maybe more like 100 miles ? Mind the gap ( long way down ) 

7 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Did St Mirren not j until post 1.6 million losses connected to their academy and they are only at Performance level?

Not entirely down to the academy, which I think is actually elite level now. It did go over budget however which didn't help.

Most of the loss was refurbishing the training ground (where the academy is) that went well over budget. 

14 minutes ago, Mission said:

3200 at Hampden recently even if it was a lot of freebies shows there is potential.

Not dismissing your claims of potential increased fanbase (based on free tickets presumably to kids etc) as Glasgow is a big city, but even PT fans I'm sure will admit its hard to get numbers when everyone focuses on the 'big two' and they have been much more successful since the Victorian era. As a Caley fan I saw 10k turn up to Hampden for a cup final win, yet still we get gates between 2-3k (even during that and the following season)..........potential really means little unfortunately even with strong success.

The problem I have with Queens Park is the cack-handed and shambolic rebuilding of Lesser Hampden -in particular the nonsensical "Royal Box".

A Queens Park side at the top end of this League/top division would have decent enough crowds to sustain full-time football and an Elite Youth Academy without Willie Haughey's or the sale of Hampden money.

Fwiw,I can see them playing home games at my ground next season if they go up(Hamilton) if Lesser Hampden still has a ludicrous capacity and home games against The Old Firm at Hampden which would easily bring in over £1million in revenue which would sustain them.