Partick Thistle 🔴 🟡 Vs Dunfermline Athletic ⚪️⚫️

jagfox

Good first half, quite tight, but when Dunfermline came out hoping to close it down in the second half, the game died.  Terrible second half, completely pointless extra-time, only saving grace being that we weren't denied a penalty shootout.

Very much in favour of a mercy rule at extra-time.  It's soul-destroying to watch two sides so clearly happy to go to penalties have to go through the motions.  If both sides want to sack off extra-time, let them and go straight to penalties.

50 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Lochburn holds around 1800. Probably get twice that for a matchup. Not sure if you can swap grounds though even if it would out for both sides.

Don't think you can switch grounds in the cup any longer.

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

Good first half, quite tight, but when Dunfermline came out hoping to close it down in the second half, the game died.  Terrible second half, completely pointless extra-time, only saving grace being that we weren't denied a penalty shootout.

Very much in favour of a mercy rule at extra-time.  It's soul-destroying to watch two sides so clearly happy to go to penalties have to go through the motions.  If both sides want to sack off extra-time, let them and go straight to penalties.

We had an absolute sitter in extra time at the back post.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We had an absolute sitter in extra time at the back post.

I forgot about that one. Not sure what went through the player's head. Was it #5? Maybe just the wrong guy in the right place at the right time?

Just now, jagfox said:

I forgot about that one. Not sure what went through the player's head. Was it #5? Maybe just the wrong guy in the right place at the right time?

Just a horrible attempt at a finish! Will await the highlights to see how bad it was!

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Just a horrible attempt at a finish! Will await the highlights to see how bad it was!

I'm not sure I could sit through that game again, even 5 minutes of highlights.

5 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Given Drumchapel have used Maryhill Juniors for their cup games this season, if they were to get through they'd presumably ask to use firhill with us as the away team? 

They only used Lochburn against FC Edinburgh because the astroturf at the Donald Dewar Centre was being relaid.

That said, I've never been at their ground so I've no idea if it would be suitable for the size of support we'd be likely to bring.

Anyway, it's a moot point as we'll be drawing Dundee United at Tannadice.

I'm still not sure from the highlights if that's a penalty, and truthfully if it was against Dunfermline I'd be pretty certain it wasn't. 

I missed extra time but I thought it was a pretty good game uptil then, I thought we shaded it but it was a petty well contested game. If you don't take your chances you are at risk later on. 

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think it looked like there was holding that started outside the box continued onto the line,  its not an easy call from the ref but I think he made the right one

Yours 

One biased as f**k pars fan

That's what Muirhead said in hospitality too, apparently. 

Thought we were miles off it for large spells of the game, although at least we got through. Fitzpatrick’s goal was decent and the penalties were of a good standard. In terms of the Pars penalty I think McCall’s take was probably correct, it was a penalty but on many occasions probably wouldn’t be given, bit clumsy from Aero and is likely a foul anywhere else on the pitch so albeit soft ref made the right call. 

Edited by JagsCG

On the penalty, I think Breen had been moaning at the ref for the last 2/3 set pieces that he’d been getting held. Ref seemed to just be watching them and pointed to the spot when Breen was dragged down. For what it’s worth, I don’t think it would have been given if the ref knew the ball wasn’t put anywhere near the box.

We played well yesterday and I think we deserved that bit of luck and deserved the lead at HT. Although Mullen obviously missed the biggest chance of the half! MacDonald had a very good game. Wighton was unlucky with his shot, where Sneddon made an excellent save. Thistle came out in the second half and deserved their goal. Both teams made changes and both were really going for the win, which made for an entertaining game. In extra time, other than Hamilton’s chance, it was a bit of a non-event. Two tired teams, we had a lot of the ball but that was the only thing created.

A lot of positives from a Pars perspective. No shame in yesterday’s result/performance. We went toe to toe with a decent championship team and competed well. I’d rather we went through, obviously, but overall not too unhappy that we can focus on the league and sealing the title now. That’s our top priority this season.

Thought we deserved to go through there. I’d hardly say we dominated, but it felt like we were on top a lot more than we weren’t. With Sneddon’s incredible save from Wighton, and Hamilton’s sitter right at the end of Extra Time, that can be filed under ‘on another day..’

Thistle didn’t offer too much throughout the game, but have one or two players capable of changing things in a flash. Good strike from Fitzpatrick and Tiffoney is always capable of causing problems. Turner was faultless all day, letting him go is one of the biggest wastes of talent we’ve experienced in some time and that’s a hill I’m ready to die on. Imagine how effective he’d be in our team just now. 

The penalty is actually a very good decision by the ref. I had no idea what it was given for until watching the highlights but it’s a stupid decision from Muirhead and a good one (albeit pretty easy tbh) from the ref. 

A lot of encouraging signs from us, if not a lesson in being a bit more clinical when you only get a handful of chances. 

Baffled at Edwards’ yellow for taking too long to take the throw-in in extra time. How can it be time wasting when the reason you didn’t take the throw is because your teammate is being manhandled?😂

Highlights below.

Shows the penalty incident clearly and shows it was the right decision.

We learned that you can't be wasting so many chances and get away with it, especially to a side in the league above. We also had plenty of warnings about allowing Partick to shoot from just outside the box and ultimately they equalised that way.

Didn't realise at the time how bad Hamilton's miss was! Yikes.

Oh aye, get the ball balls/girls trained better! Quite a few times there were two balls on the pitch yesterday.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Highlights below.

Shows the penalty incident clearly and shows it was the right decision.

We learned that you can't be wasting so many chances and get away with it, especially to a side in the league above. We also had plenty of warnings about allowing Partick to shoot from just outside the box and ultimately they equalised that way.

Didn't realise at the time how bad Hamilton's miss was! Yikes.

Oh aye, get the ball balls/girls trained better! Quite a few times there were two balls on the pitch yesterday.

Free kick would have been the right decision. The lad did well to dive into the box to gain an advantage.