Partick Thistle 🔴 🟡 Vs Dunfermline Athletic ⚪️⚫️

jagfox

Can’t help but feel slightly gutted but that, a fairly even first half which we came in ahead, thistle came out well and took a good goal, slight error by Benedictus getting caught under the ball but a cracking finish to take full advantage, after that we really should with being a bit more clinical win that in 90 minutes, never mind into ET where we also did well.  Not taking the chances always had a feeling thistle would win it either on the counter attack or ultimately as it worked out with well taken penalties.  

With that in mind I went in wondering how we’d perform against championship opponents and I think we stood up well to the test, it won’t take many additions to the squad if/when we win the league.

Edited by parsforlife

Thought we did pretty well today. Controlled parts of the game. Still have no idea why we were given the penalty first half!

Sadly a bit lacking when we got near their box, a sign that against a better standard we still have work to do.

Disappointed at the goal we conceded too. Think you might get away with giving away possession like that in League 1 but, again, against a better standard there are lessons to take.

The Mochrie sub was wrong, unless he was knackered or injured. It worked in Kelty and it seemed the intent was to try and find McCann with the deeper crosses. Talking of crossing, too many of ours were poor today. Needs works.

Partick's penalties were very good and they deserved the win on that basis. The ones we missed weren't particularly terrible but it's the small margins.

Ah well, enjoyable day (some good pubs, liked the Woodside Inn and was amused by the utter throwback that wae Star and Garter as haven't been in there before today for about 15 years!), the team didn't disgrace themselves and hopefully they'll have learned some things from today. Good crowd from us today. The Colin Weir stand needs demolished.

Was always going to be one of those games where Thistle’s quality would edge it for them. Doubt there is a massive gulf in quality between the two. 
Let’s just win the league and build on what we have. We do that, and I have little doubt next season will be a successful one. 

Not great from us, pars had several good to great chances for 90 mins and one in the first part of extra time (over the bar from about a yard out??). Poor finishing and two or three brilliant saves.

We had a few but not as presentable as the pars ones.

We look totally different without Lawless. Edit: and not in a good way.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Sneddon was my player of the match after the first half 

Midfield was disjointed with little creativity and cohesion. McMillan and Milne were kept in check.

Dunfermline had plenty of possession and just lacked a finishing touch.

Fitzpatrick's goal dragged us out of a hole.

Extra-time was a non-event and as said, we took our penalties with aplomb.

Good away support through (750), and Pars would probably be fine in the Championship this season. 

Good luck to Pars for the rest of the season.

Elgin or Drumchapel away next would do me fine.

8 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Elgin or Drumchapel away next would do me fine.

Given Drumchapel have used Maryhill Juniors for their cup games this season, if they were to get through they'd presumably ask to use firhill with us as the away team? 

Awful game with two poor sides with the Pars being slightly less awful than ourselves, still the target is always to get into the next round and that has been achieved. Despite today I don’t  see the Pars having any problems competing in the Championship next season!

Edited by Sting777

32 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Given Drumchapel have used Maryhill Juniors for their cup games this season, if they were to get through they'd presumably ask to use firhill with us as the away team? 

Lochburn holds around 1800. Probably get twice that for a matchup. Not sure if you can swap grounds though even if it would out for both sides.