Partick Thistle 🔴 🟡 Vs Dunfermline Athletic ⚪️⚫️

jagfox

Not making this one but think it'll be a decent cup tie. Naturally want to progress but as long as we go and give a good account of ourselves I'll be happy, league is the main priority so perhaps not having the cup as a distraction, extra games etc would be a good thing. It'll be a good test to see how we do against a good Championship side.

I think it'll go to extra time but Thistle will progress to the next round.

Expecting a tough game against a side who are used to winning, but hoping our strong home form will be enough to see us through.

As an aside, we seem to meet each other in the cup quite a lot. Off the top of my head I can think of:

- Late 90s Dunfermline beat us at Firhill.

- Early 2000s Pars win Quarter Final at Firhill.

- Stephen Simmons game at EEP in 2008 ish.

- Liam Buchanan winner at Firhill for us in 2007.

- Dunfermline 1-0 at Firhill in 2012.

- Thistle win 1-0 at Firhill in 2022.

52 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Expecting a tough game against a side who are used to winning, but hoping our strong home form will be enough to see us through.

As an aside, we seem to meet each other in the cup quite a lot. Off the top of my head I can think of:

This is our 6th Scottish cup meeting this millennium, we haven’t played anyone else more, we have played celtic the same number but that includes one replay and 2 finals.

You’ve got the Buchanan game(cheating c***s…) and the Simmons game the wrong way round btw. 

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

2004 was the quarter final at Firhill. We won 0-3 (Byrne, Nicholson and Brewster) and missed a penalty. We dominated the game. Had a big support through that day that sold out behind the goal and had to use some of the main stand (I know cos I got there too late and had to sit in the main stand!).

Derek Fleming played for Partick that day (and was sent off), as did Jorge Cadette! Jamie Langfield was on the Partick bench.

Here's some poor quality highlights:

2007 was indeed another quarter final, this time at East End. We won 2-0 with Simmons getting both, the first very early and the second very late. Dick Campbell was Partick manager then. We went to the final and lost and also got relegated. No footage of this game appears to be available online.

Here's the 2008 game (2-1):

Here's Partick 1-2 Pars in the Scottish Cup in 1999:

Here's last year if you're a sadist:

And here's an unrelated match report:

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Dunfermline_10_Partick_Thistle_1&ID=11842

20 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I see Docherty was sent off in the Glasgow Cup today, don't know if that means he's out of this or whether it's reserve games only- might depend what he was sent off for.

Ross Docherty was already suspended for this tie as a consequence of his red card against Kelty Hearts in the last round. 

His suspension today will only apply to City of Glasgow Cup ties.

Seeing a bit more quality play from Pars now. We’ve pretty icy mastered winning ugly and can now slice through teams too. Great man-management by McPake the other night saying if we went up there wouldn’t be much turnover in players. Really building a decent unit  Pars must be a hard team to prepare for us we will play how the management feel gives us the best chance of winning, rather than having a set style of play. 

Decent tie for Pars. Lose and it at least shows the players what to expect if we go up. Think Partick might get a nasty surprise at what a horrible unit McPake has created in such a short time.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Decent tie for Pars. Lose and it at least shows the players what to expect if we go up. Think Partick might get a nasty surprise at what a horrible unit McPake has created in such a short time.

I've got some dreadful experiences from playing Dunfermline in recent years, it definitely won't be a surprise if we f**k this. Genuinely not expecting a win and this will be a very tough game. 

Hope yous get pumped though etc... 

1 hour ago, colliedug said:

Tight game but I think we should edge, without really knowing how the pars are playing I would still think they may be at a level which could compete mid table in the championship only going by the optimism of their own fans 

Very hard to tell given the quality of League 1. I've said here that I think we're going to get a bit of a reality check, but hope I'm completely wrong.

No Graham, Lawless or McKinnon through injury as well as Docherty being suspended.

Dunfermline team doesn't look wildly different to the one that got relegated, but they're clearly winning games and not conceding many goals so if they get the first I'd fancy them to win.