Cove vs Raith, 14/1/23

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I was going back to the McGlynn days as well, but our inability to defend set pieces  is the biggest problem and scoring at the other end is another

Agree about the set pieces. It's criminal how often we concede from them. 

5 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I was going back to the McGlynn days as well, but our inability to defend set pieces  is the biggest problem and scoring at the other end is another

Agree on our inability to defend set pieces, it is a huge concern and I imagine why Murray is looking to bring in an experienced centre back. A Big Marv/Mark Campbell/Steven Anderson type would make a huge difference in that regard, not easy to find in a January window when you have no money though.

Clearly a striker is needed too and we need to be better going forward but we have only failed to score twice in our last 15 games but we haven’t won enough of them, need to be better defensively as well as going forward.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That one today, I dunno - not to get Tex to excited but McDonald wafted at it like some bad Fifa AI.

24 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Haven’t we only lost one late goal all season, which was against Morton? Stretching it to call a Dundee goal in the 78 minute the ‘final minutes’.

Big of an overreaction in here for me. Incredibly frustrating to throw 2 points away at the death, costing what would have been a huge win. However, we’re 7 unbeaten and starting to play better. Legs were bound to be tired after a tough game on Wednesday with limited numbers, the squad is running on fumes at this point with injuries to key players hampering what was already a light squad.

Agree with this. As annoying as today is, I feel more positive about our prospects this season than I did a month or so ago. 

Obviously that could all change with a run of tougher fixtures coming up though. 

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

We would have been 2 points off 4th with half a season to go.  That was a huge 2 points dropped today.  

Our proximity to 4th is irrelevant. The OP was talking about promotion and there's not a chance this squad would achieve that. Our inconsistencies and injuries means the "good" playoffs are also beyond us. I'd settled for a mid table meh finish and I still think we'll end there, but any talk of promotion in a transitional season with a threadbare squad is madness.

Again, it comes down to squad depth. We have a good squad but too much of it is injured. If Matthews, Ross, Stanton and Ngwenya aren't going to show up soon then we are going to be grifting for points if we can't bring in replacements.

1 minute ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

It's all the more galling that Cove are a team that lost 12 goals in their last two game yet we struggle to score against them and kill them off a 3rd would've done that, but no we'll sit back and defend a one goal lead

I dont think it was not going gung ho that didn't win us that game. We didn't struggle: we scored twice, had other chances. They weren't going to sit there and get 5 goal cufflinks evey week.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Agree with this. As annoying as today is, I feel more positive about our prospects this season than I did a month or so ago. 

Obviously that could all change with a run of tougher fixtures coming up though. 

Yeah, I thought we were really dreadful second half against Arbroath at Stark’s and for about 80 minutes of the home game against Morton in the league and I really thought we were heading for big trouble at that point. Last 4 games have been better though, as frustrating as today is.

Hopefully the team respond to today in the same way they did the last time they lost a last minute goal.

Edited by R.R.FC

Thing is, even if we'd won today I don't think it changes the trajectory of folk's predictions.

Scottish championship: If you aren't seriously in the promotion hunt, then you are part of the other thing. There usually isn't too much of mid table to hide in. 

25 minutes ago, renton said:

It doesn't necessarily change things for the better.

Agreed, but we have seen repeatedly this season that we are confined to our half for the last 10-15 minutes as our players tire and the other side makes substitutions. Sometimes fresher is better than experienced but tired. I also suspect our use of the same players game after game is a factor in our injury list. Yes, we lack great (or even good) options, but we HAVE to develop some of those bench players to give us options if we can’t gong to sign players.

Concede from another ball into the box again which is a concern and the game management was poor, if there’s a table from goals conceded f from crosses into the box whether they is from Open play, FKs or corners we must be bottom out of the 42 teams because that’s all we seem to concede too. 

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Agreed, but we have seen repeatedly this season that we are confined to our half for the last 10-15 minutes as our players tire and the other side makes substitutions. Sometimes fresher is better than experienced but tired. I also suspect our use of the same players game after game is a factor in our injury list. Yes, we lack great (or even good) options, but we HAVE to develop some of those bench players to give us options if we can’t gong to sign players.

Not today, if you go by Hank's analysis. End of the day Gullan is light years ahead of Frederiksen and I'm not sure how rationing his time is meant to alleviate that.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Actually, we’re just very slightly above average on that. Got a wee bit of time on me hands this afternoon, so ran through the, checks notes, 29 goals we’ve conceded this year in the Championship and categorized them. Used categories of Penalty, Set Piece, Open Play, Counter Attack and Defensive Cock-Up. Some are judgement calls, and for the Set Piece I counted goals that resulted from some ping-pong from the set piece as well as directly.

Now, the average percentage of goals scored from set pieces is between 25% and 33% in most leagues. We’ve allowed 34%. From open play, we allow 38%, 14% penalties, 10% counter and 3% whoopsie.

1 hour ago, renton said:

Not today, if you go by Hank's analysis. End of the day Gullan is light years ahead of Frederiksen and I'm not sure how rationing his time is meant to alleviate that.

Agreed Gullan is ahead, but RaithTV mentioned today that  Gullan is managing his leg issue, that he needs to go off after 60-75 minutes to protect himself from further injury. I’d have been perfectly happy for Mitchell to replace Gullan…sure he’s raw and inexperienced, but even just one ball over the top with Mitchell burning down the pitch after it would have forced Cove to drop deeper in response. Heck, McBride is annoying, and persistent enough to offer a mild threat, even if you don’t want the lumbering helo.

If that report on Gullan is correct, he’s going to be intermittently out of the squad the remainder of the year, and we need to either develop what we have, or spend some cash we may not have.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Actually, we’re just very slightly above average on that. Got a wee bit of time on me hands this afternoon, so ran through the, checks notes, 29 goals we’ve conceded this year in the Championship and categorized them. Used categories of Penalty, Set Piece, Open Play, Counter Attack and Defensive Cock-Up. Some are judgement calls, and for the Set Piece I counted goals that resulted from some ping-pong from the set piece as well as directly.

Now, the average percentage of goals scored from set pieces is between 25% and 33% in most leagues. We’ve allowed 34%. From open play, we allow 38%, 14% penalties, 10% counter and 3% whoopsie.

There's no one quite like Tex

1 hour ago, renton said:

Thing is, even if we'd won today I don't think it changes the trajectory of folk's predictions.

Indeed. We aren't fighting for the promotion spots, even if they'd have been in sight had we held on. 

What has been thrown away is distance between the places we don't want to find ourselves in. Hamilton gain two, as you were with Arbroath and Cove. 10 points clear of Cove would've given us a nice buffer, especially as they have the chance to cut that to four with their game in hand. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Indeed. We aren't fighting for the promotion spots, even if they'd have been in sight had we held on. 

What has been thrown away is distance between the places we don't want to find ourselves in. Hamilton gain two, as you were with Arbroath and Cove. 10 points clear of Cove would've given us a nice buffer, especially as they have the chance to cut that to four with their game in hand. 

I think I saw somewhere that the game in hand is Dundee so hopefully they won't pick up anything there.