Cove vs Raith, 14/1/23

Late to give my opinion of the match but here it goes. We played as poorly as our line up looked on paper and were fortunate to grab a point.

Going into the match and seeing we had no Mitch, Logan and Fyvie along with still trying to fill the void of Sanders, Johnston and Gilmour I feared the worst. Starting Leighton McIntosh up top with Robbie Leitch behind him echoes how thin we were. Both aren't close to Championship quality. Saying that Rovers were without a host of key players too such as Stanton, Matthews, Ross and Ngwenya so we weren't alone on the latter.

For the game itself neither side were at their free flowing best although Rovers had the better first half and created more.  First goal was very well worked with a superb through ball that Vaughan then confidently tucked past Gourlay. Easton's volley for Rovers 2nd was sublime and unstoppable going in off the post. We will question McClleland's slightly weak header which went straight to Easton's path, however, then on his touch and finish was top notch.

As for our penalty it definitely strikes Nolan's hand but saying that Morgyn gives him a wee nudge which could well knock him off balance. It got us back in the game when we never really looked like threatening

2nd half was a poor spectacle all round and by that time I had lost all feeling in my fingers and toes. Can barely recall any goal mouth action and truthfully I didn't see us scoring even though Rovers were getting a bit deeper. When Mitch came on he worked the Rovers back line with his pace and tenacity and started to cause some trouble. 

For Cove, we're looking to take in 4/5 more players before the window ends and we need them in order to secure 8th. They need to be quality additions if we have any chance of clawing our way back into the mid-table pack. That seems a big ask being 7 points adrift.

Rovers midfield with their slick movement is a joy to watch at times. Definitely missing some steel in the defence and look vulernable at set pieces. Also missing an elusive striker, someone who can rough up the opposition, hold it up, knock it on to the midfielders breaking the line.

Rovers are still only 4 points off the playoffs so  something to play for. Cove still have lots of work to do at the wrong end of the table.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

2 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

2 excellent Rovers goals there and good to see Vaughan scoring again.

Simply awful defending for both Coves' goals.

We allow the average number of goals, but we certainly seem weak on set pieces (34% of goals conceded, slightly above expected rate of 25-33%). The basic problem is that is a coaching issue, and doesn’t seem to be getting addressed.