Dons vs rangers - league cup semi

Dons_1988

No match thread for a semi seems a bit strange. 

Non an impossible task for us but certainly an extremely difficult one. 

However, given it’ll 99% be Celtic in the final, it feels like winning the cup is impossible from this position so all a bit meh. 

4 at the back Jim, don’t camp 10 men behind the ball, even if we’re winning. 

Barring any injuries or Clarkson suddenly leaving us before Sunday, I think I would go: 

Roos

McCrorie - Stewart - Scales - Coulson

Ramadani - Shinnie

Kennedy - Clarkson - Hayes

Duk

I think that line-up would probably give us our best chance of winning. Kennedy and Hayes are both hardworking defensive wingers out of possession, and that is important to match up against Rangers' full-backs. They should also give us an option to carry the ball up the pitch rather than just going direct into Duk, which is a valuable option for us but can't be our only option. I think Miovski will probably start, but I would go with Duk through the middle; Miovski seems to struggle to impact games as much where we don't have the majority of possession, and I don't feel he showed enough physically in either game against Celtic or Rangers in December to justify a start here. He is a good option to bring on in the final half an hour if we are still in the game and chasing a goal, though. 

I wouldn’t start both Kennedy and Hayes. 

Hayes unlikely to be fit enough to start a game I’d say. 

Whilst they might give you some defensive solidity, in attack they’re going to want to go on the outside and swing a cross into duk, and that’s not his game. I think you’d effectively see nothing from duk for the most part. 

You wanting to be pushing the *** fullbacks back too so you want someone to worry them, if that has to be duk having a run at someone like tavernier from the left hand side with miovski through the middle then so be it. Duk can do the running the other way too. 

I see our resident Dandies are doing a fine job of dispelling the myth that A'donians are glum, choleric doom-mongers...

Beale's getting a better tune out of us but 1. we're still fragile and 2. we still can't play well for the full 90 minutes.  So I'll sit on the fence on this one.

Unsure whether Colak is fit so likely that Morelos will start with Kent and Sakala either side.

Although Tillman has upped his numbers a little under Beale and has 2 goals in his last 3 games, I can see Arfield coming in from the start for this one to go up against Shinnie (should he start).

It will likely be another tight affair regardless but we are starting to look more settled with the Goldson and Davies partnership developing well.

3 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Really can't be arsed with this. Had a train booked but cancelled that after I found out about the engineering works. Now face the prospect of driving down, staying sober, watching our inevitable defeat then driving back up.

It's just shite. 

You think that's bad? I'll be watching on TAFKA Setanta. 

We've got a terrible record in cups, I can see us fcuking this game being really tight again and us sneaking through with a single goal.

After all of the fuss from celtic/celtic fans during the last few weeks I can see refs being under a lot of pressure. 

9 hours ago, bennett said:

We've got a terrible record in cups, I can see us fcuking this game being really tight again and us sneaking through with a single goal.

After all of the fuss from celtic/celtic fans during the last few weeks I can see refs being under a lot of pressure. 

I mean there is VAR now so not exactly sure what you mean by 'pressure' as they can be bailed out by the VAR? Or are you just worried that Rangers* might actually get a penalty correctly awarded against them?

22 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Did Stewart say anything that controversial. If he'd worded it "Colak is better than that fat, pie eating, greeting faced c**t Morelos" I would understand the attention given but it's just a player giving his opinion on two opponents that he's faced.

I wouldn’t say it’s controversial, but you’d imagine Morelos would take note of it and feel like he’d like to make him “reconsider” his opinion, so to speak.

I wouldn’t want one of our players saying X player is better than Y player in the build up to a big match.

It may also be an attempt to get Morelos worked up so his fiery side takes over so it could end up being smart from Stewart.