🔵 🔴 Inverness CT v Queen's Park 🕷🕷

We should have won, could have lost. The passing was not quite as good as we are used to.

ICT weren't much cop at the back but we missed a couple of decent chances.

Ferrie's save was incredible.

Still, results elsewhere went out way, so it's a good day at the office.

Thought we had the better chances in the first and queens had better in the second. Could’ve went either way imo but I have to say queens are easily the best footballing team I’ve seen us play this season and haven’t seen many teams knock it about like that in the championship since we’ve been in it. 

Decent enough point, one we certainly couldn’t afford to lose.

On 09/01/2023 at 12:27, RossBFaeDundee said:

Inverness with 10 goals in their last 2 league games.

Queen's Park with 15 goals in their last 3 away league games, with Simon Murray accounting for 7 of them.

I think I'll put this down for a 0-0.

Never in doubt.

4 good chances first half for caley and could have been our of sight, played some nice football then seemed to let Gretna II back in the game second half. We were much less fluid and 2 of the best chances in the game for Gretna II to make a mess of.

Overall probably a fair result, but not sure on that showing either are going to win the league.

For spells it was some of the best football I've seen us play this season but still aspects and lapses which are cause for concern and improvement.

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

4 good chances first half for caley and could have been our of sight, played some nice football then seemed to let Gretna II back in the game second half. We were much less fluid and 2 of the best chances in the game for Gretna II to make a mess of.

Overall probably a fair result, but not sure on that showing either are going to win the league.

For spells it was some of the best football I've seen us play this season but still aspects and lapses which are cause for concern and improvement.

Things must be bad.

4 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Out of sight an exaggeration, one very good chance and probably slightly edged it first half but that’s as far as it goes. If that’s your best spell of football, goodness me youse must be rotten. Both teams were bang average 

Horrid attempt at the Gretna patter 

6 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

For spells it was some of the best football I've seen us play this season but still aspects and lapses which are cause for concern and improvement

Ooft, if that was some of the best football you've played this season then you should be absolutely delighted with being 6th.

24 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Ooft, if that was some of the best football you've played this season then you should be absolutely delighted with being 6th.

And you lot should be gutted as league leaders you couldn't beat us. Shows how shite the league is!!

Edited by bdu98196

36 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

And you lot should be gutted as league leaders you couldn't beat us. Shows how shite the league is!!

We were poor by our standards, but we should still have won. Some of our better players struggled a bit today (Thomas and Thomson especially), but I'd have bitten your hand off for 7 points from Thistle, Cove and Inverness in the first 3 league games of 2023. Onwards and upwards!

Finishing with none of our starting front 4 seemed strange tactically from Dodds. Maybe understandable if we were winning. But replacing all of our goal threats with players significantly less likely to score, suggests Dodds had accepted the draw early on

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We should have won, could have lost. The passing was not quite as good as we are used to.

ICT weren't much cop at the back but we missed a couple of decent chances.

Ferrie's save was incredible.

Still, results elsewhere went out way, so it's a good day at the office.

Agree with this. Queens started well but we soon improved and had some good chances. A couple of efforts that zipped past the posts from Henderson and MacKay showed we were up for this and the save from a Mckay header was incredible. However, after getting on top Queens then looked the better side and finished the first half strongly creating some good chances of their own. 

Second half I felt we started well but faded and Queens were well on top. The best chances feel to Murray who leathered a low shot across goal and I think he also had another cross / shot that seemed to knock over a Queens player at the back post and he couldn't turn it into an empty net. Devine made an incredible late block to dent Murray (I think) on another occasion. Again though, we seemed to improve and Mckay was given acres of space to shot but his effort was right at Ferrie and later on Nicholson hit a sweet volley straight at the keeper after a cross was scrambled away. 

I was surprised how open the game was at times. For long periods there seemed to be no one in midfield for either side and players could do what they wanted under little to no pressure. Queens played some nice little triangular passes at pace which allowed them to quickly work open spaces at the back and we struggled to keep up. For us we tended to play channel balls for the wide players to run into. Both sides created a number of good openings in the 90.

Standouts for me were Mckay for us and Murray / Boateng for Queens. 

3 hours ago, Zanetti said:

We were poor by our standards, but we should still have won. Some of our better players struggled a bit today (Thomas and Thomson especially), but I'd have bitten your hand off for 7 points from Thistle, Cove and Inverness in the first 3 league games of 2023. Onwards and upwards!

Totally disagree with you on Thomas in the first half, Delaney struggled with him and ended up with a yellow through frustration and how Thomas was turning him inside out on the wing, he faded a bit in the second because he was moved into the middle which probably cost Coyle the game.

All in all it was a fair result even though the BBC stats had us edging it.

Your forward line in that first half were the slickest I've seen outside the Premier, the combination of Murray, Savoury and Thomas produced some excellent deadly passes, thankfully they couldn't convert due mostly to Ridgers and some drastic defending.

Our passing for the first half hour was probably the best I've seen this season and we should've been ahead before losing grip on the game and QP dominated until half time.  Second half was much the same - we started brightly then decided to go back to hoof ball and we were nowhere near as good.  I'd be offloading Oakley and Boyd in the summer.  Neither are good enough.  Shaw seems to be good at the getting the ball to stick to him but his final ball was often dreadful and his set pieces were really poor.  

6 hours ago, NorthStand10 said:

Thought we had the better chances in the first and queens had better in the second. Could’ve went either way imo but I have to say queens are easily the best footballing team I’ve seen us play this season and haven’t seen many teams knock it about like that in the championship since we’ve been in it. 

Decent enough point, one we certainly couldn’t afford to lose.

I said the same when I had seen them play us at Dens. We had won 3-0 on the day but they play some really good and fast paced football that caused us a load of problems. 

I checked the scores at full time and couldn't believe this had finished with no goals in it...

Think a draw was a fair result however both teams will be disappointed with some of the chances missed.

We are the most frustrating team to watch, we look excellent when we pass the ball through the thirds, or keep the ball and play quality balls into the channel with intent. However, we just seem to resort to hoofing it aimlessly towards Mckay for significant spells which allows teams to control spells in games.

My main takeaway from the match is that the summer recruitment has been dreadful. Oakley, Boyd and Shaw are all brutal to watch. I think that’s the main reason we are where we are (alongside the injury list).

Edited by scottbamby

1 minute ago, scottbamby said:

Think a draw was a fair result however both teams will be disappointed with some of the chances missed.

We are the most frustrating team to watch, we look excellent when we pass the ball through the thirds, or keep the ball and play quality balls into the channel with intent. However, we just seem to resort to hoofing it aimlessly towards Mckay for significant spells which allows teams to control spells in games.

My main takeaway from the match is that the summer recruitment has been dreadful. Oakley, Boyd and Shaw are all brutal to watch. I think that’s the main reason we are where we are (alongside the injury list).

I should add, Queens play some very decent football and are well organised. Must be easier to do when you have the Weegie Roy MacGregor funding the whole operation