East Fife -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 14 January 2023)

Every game in League 2 is a big game and it doesn't get much bigger than East Fife versus Stenhousemuir. It's the fourth meeting between the sides this season and, frankly, I can't wait.

I wouldn't say that the Warriors are revitalised just yet but there does seem to be "a good buzz about the place" since Gary Naysmith took charge and recorded our first win in three months over Stranraer last weekend. I'd like to think we can build on that victory and maintain our good record against the Fifers - two wins and a draw - and maybe even sneak into the play-offs, something that seemed unthinkable a couple of weeks ago (although that's more down to the topsy-turvy nature of every team outside of Dumbarton and Stirling Albion than anything else).

I'd be loathe to make too many changes from the side that defeated Stranraer. I'd expect us to recruit a new goalkeeper in time for the match, and I reckon they'd come straight into the starting XI. I'd also like to see Will Sewell fielded ahead of Tam Orr - Orr has his uses but his poor hold-up play and his ineffectiveness in challenging for aerial balls really put us under pressure against the Blues and although it's not Sewell's natural game, he's probably better at it. A new centre-forward is another position we need to look at.

- Will Sewell -

- Euan O'Reilly - Adam Brown - Matty Yates -

- Mick Miller - Nat Wedderburn -

- Callum Yeats - Nicky Jamieson - Dan Higgins - Adam Corbett -

- [New goalkeeper] -

We've done well enough against East Fife so far this season and I hope we can keep it going. See you in Methil!

Really looking forward to this one and the most excited I’ve been about going to the football in a long while.

I agree on the starting XI and only two changes from last week: Sewell in for Orr and a new first choice keeper.

We’ve had the Fifers number so far this season and I’d be delighted if, come 5pm on Saturday, we’ve managed to keep that unbeaten record intact.

A decent point considering how average we were today. Fleming howler cost us 3 points but Elgin drew with Annan so it keeps things tighter than ever. Trouten MOTM today but if that's his best then he needs to go. Jack healy out today so had next to nothing out wide but good to see other players coming back in.

Edited by GoldenNuggets_YeeHaa

Agree. We got away with one there. After going ahead and playing well we almost lost a goal immediately. Stenhousemuir took over the midfield and we never looked like solving the problem. The number of times Murdoch was left stranded in acres of space was scary. 
Not sure if Fleming was at fault for the goal but he had several great saves which kept us in the game.

12 minutes ago, GoldenNuggets_YeeHaa said:

A decent point considering how average we were today. Fleming howler cost us 3 points but Elgin drew with Annan so it keeps things tighter than ever. Trouten MOTM today but if that's his best then he needs to go. Jack healy out today so had next to nothing out wide but good to see other players coming back in.

A decent point! Really, at home to Stenhousemuir.......... Fleming has won us a lot of points this season or the situation would be far worse. 

Game completely spoiled in horrendous conditions. East Fife scored a very well worked goal and after that we were very passive. No urgency second best at all second balls. Stennie bossed the midfield area and it’s clear to see we are powder puff in there with no physical presence what so ever. A very bad mistake from an experienced goalkeeper for Stenhousemuir goal. . At the other end we didn’t test Stennie new keeper he looked pretty poor fumbling most things that came near him. If we had put him under pressure he looked like a mistake was in him. We humped the ball in the air far to often when the conditions called for the ball on the deck. Missed Healy today big time hopefully be back next week. Our home form is very concerning 2 victories all season.

Game was played in horrible conditions and in fairness, Stenny could/should  have come away with all 3 points. They bossed the midfield with every 2nd ball being for them. There seemed to be urgency about EF in contrast to last week and even after going ahead, they never looked comfortable on the ball. Fleming prevented Stenny from scoring on 3 occasions but he did seem at fault for the equaliser, maybe he was distracted by Orr running  in front of him.

With the scores today, league positions can change every week, go on a bad run, then it’s LL here we come.

1 hour ago, Exiled Fifer said:

Game was played in horrible conditions and in fairness, Stenny could/should  have come away with all 3 points. They bossed the midfield with every 2nd ball being for them. There seemed to be lack of urgency about EF in contrast to last week and even after going ahead, they never looked comfortable on the ball. Fleming prevented Stenny from scoring on 3 occasions but he did seem at fault for the equaliser, maybe he was distracted by Orr running  in front of him.

With the scores today, league positions can change every week, go on a bad run, then it’s LL here we comeH

Horrendous conditions to play football, and I’d have to say credit to the Stenhousemuir team in that 2nd half. They got the ball down and played some really nice football. We should have won on the balance of play, but didn’t, mainly due to Thomas Orr’s profligacy.

The most pleasing thing for me was that it was the first time in ages that I have come away thinking that there was more than one candidate for MotM. Mikey Miller and Nat Wedderburn steamrollered over the top of the East Fife midfield in the 2nd half. Matty Yates ability to take the ball on the turn and get the defence on the back foot was superb. He looks like a player who can play at a level or two above this one. Euan O’Reilly tormented the right back, and I thought our two full backs had their best games in an age. It was good to see Calum Yeats finally cross the halfway line and attack, instead of turning back the way.

Jury is out on the new goalie. He had a couple of hairy moments in the first half, although he did make one good save. He had next to nothing to do in the 2nd half as East Fife spent the entire 45 minutes punting the ball as high and hard as they possibly could. Really odd tactic.

Only disappointment was we didn’t win, but there were enough encouraging signs there today. 

41 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Horrendous conditions to play football, and I’d have to say credit to the Stenhousemuir team in that 2nd half. They got the ball down and played some really nice football. We should have won on the balance of play, but didn’t, mainly due to Thomas Orr’s profligacy.

The most pleasing thing for me was that it was the first time in ages that I have come away thinking that there was more than one candidate for MotM. Mikey Miller and Nat Wedderburn steamrollered over the top of the East Fife midfield in the 2nd half. Matty Yates ability to take the ball on the turn and get the defence on the back foot was superb. He looks like a player who can play at a level or two above this one. Euan O’Reilly tormented the right back, and I thought our two full backs had their best games in an age. It was good to see Calum Yeats finally cross the halfway line and attack, instead of turning back the way.

Jury is out on the new goalie. He had a couple of hairy moments in the first half, although he did make one good save. He had next to nothing to do in the 2nd half as East Fife spent the entire 45 minutes punting the ball as high and hard as they possibly could. Really odd tactic.

Only disappointment was we didn’t win, but there were enough encouraging signs there today. 

All of that is pretty much my thoughts as well.

I can't comment on the first 20 minutes as I was late to the game but we pretty much dominated the contest from when I arrived until full time. Not in a way that it was chance after chance but we looked controlled in midfield, solid at the back and Matty and Euan carrying a threat in the forward areas. We played good football at times in really difficult conditions. Tam really has to tuck away those two guilt edge chances.

There is a noteable difference in work rate and doing the ugly side of the game in these two games, we look far more organised and playing with fire in the belly. Miller was like a man possessed today and Nat seems a lot more aggressive in his play than he has been all season. Although his final ball was lacking, Adam Corbett had a great game trying to drive us forward all afternoon down the right.

All that said Nicky Jamieson was man of the match for the second week running, absolutely flawless.

Two points dropped but plenty of positives to take and feel we can only keep improving as Gary gets more time with the players and adds one or two of his own.

East Fife started well until we scored then that was it.Stenhousemuir then were the better team for the rest of the game.I don’t get this thing about putting a midfielder on the wing.Every team we play it looks like they have more players in the middle of the park.Ferguson should be in the middle of the park because Trouten is to slow and players run past him too easily.Did we have a game plan yesterday or was it just a big punt up the park and chase it.The man of the match was our centre half  on loan from Montrose.

20 hours ago, Taxi41 said:

A decent point! Really, at home to Stenhousemuir.......... Fleming has won us a lot of points this season or the situation would be far worse. 

Well aye. Stenny battered us most of the game and we still came away with a point. 

Everyone knows what this bunch are all about now. We need a couple of more signings plus players coming back from injury and we can start complaining again.