Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

Someone mentioned a while back that, even though it's the standard visual for a save function in an application, we've reached a point where younger folk won't actually know what one of these is:

HmQu1.png

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

‘Shit - flooded the engine, too much choke’.

I think that probably conjures up different mental images in the era of breath play.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Someone mentioned a while back that, even though it's the standard visual for a save function in an application, we've reached a point where younger folk won't actually know what one of these is:

HmQu1.png

Was it ever a 5 and a quarter?

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I think that probably conjures up different mental images in the era of breath play.

I swear, without Googling, I have zero idea what the era of breath play is… not sure I want to either. 😆

Edited by pozbaird

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I swear, without Googling, I have zero idea what the era of breath play is… not sure I want to either. 😆

Don’t ask Mrs Poz. I’m sure she will be more than capable of showing you 😂 

You just won’t be back on here though.

I know this isn’t a saying - but do the younger generation know that our school week was Monday - Friday, 9am to 4pm, and we never got zillions of days off for pesky viruses, election days, teachers going on strike, or any number of shite excuses for not putting in a full week.

Not advocating the return of the belt, but a Mitre Mouldmaster square in the haw-maws, on a blaes pitch, in February, in 2c temps and sleet, while wearing black gutties and a wafer-thin gym T Shirt would sort out these soft wee fcukers these days. 😎

Just now, Molotov said:

Don’t ask Mrs Poz. I’m sure she will be more than capable of showing you 😂 

You just won’t be back on here though.

I’m off to Google it. Safest bet… unless she checks my browsing history. Again. 😜

7 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I remember this one but what was a choke in the car anyway?

In internal combustion engines with carburetors, a choke valve or choke modifies the air pressure in the intake manifold, thereby altering the air–fuel ratio entering the engine. Choke valves are generally used in naturally aspirated engines to supply a richer fuel mixture when starting the engine.

2 minutes ago, greendot said:

In internal combustion engines with carburetors, a choke valve or choke modifies the air pressure in the intake manifold, thereby altering the air–fuel ratio entering the engine. Choke valves are generally used in naturally aspirated engines to supply a richer fuel mixture when starting the engine.

thanks @greendotbut I would be lying to say I understood a word of that!

10 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The other day the Mrs' 87 year old gran said someone "has ants in his pants". Do people still use this? It was pretty common when I was growing up but maybe been 25 years since I heard it.

Still use it myself. Actually said it last night when my cat was acting weird and circling the kitchen following an altercation with the ginger bruiser from up the road.

Edited by pozbaird

16 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

thanks @greendotbut I would be lying to say I understood a word of that!

You pull out the choke to start a cold car. It manually partially closes the air intake to increase the percentage of petrol in the mixture entering the engine, making it start more easily. As the engine warms up, you slowly press the choke back in. Too much choke can smother the engine in petrol.