Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Do adolescent males still prove how hard they are by 'broncoing' swings?

If we're talking about the same thing, we called it 'wrapping' the swings.

On 15/03/2023 at 22:10, BTFD said:

That's actually a fair point, I don't think I've heard a youngster refer to a "piece" since I was one myself.

(a youngster, not a piece)

I hadn't heard of a 'piece' until I went to high school in Dundee. Despite being only across a bridge from where I grew up, suddenly I was discovering a new language.

It took me a while to realise that 'piece time' wasn't 'peacetime'.

On 15/01/2023 at 14:12, The Mantis said:

There's quite a few links with France going back to the Auld Alliance, like in a chippie in the WOS you would get an ashet pie supper, a steak pie in a foil tray. Just like the French assiete. Also Burns writing about a silver tassie, like the French tass meaning a cup. I was told a few more at school but cannae remember them now.

But there's just as many Scots words linked to Scandinavian words from the days of the Hanseatic traders. Like bigging a house or the word 'ken' meaning to know. People in the west laugh at us east coasters for using it but it's a word with a real history/etymology/whatever. Scots have always been Europeans. More reasons to hate all these brexity c***s.

Dinna fash yersel'  =  dont get angry/upset from French 'facher'

The windae got panned, from the French 'en panne'  meaning broken down  (usually a vehicle, I guess it came back from WW1)

At the toot, meaning immediately, from 'toute suite'.      

san ferry ann  =  that doesn't matter   ( ça ne fait rien)

My mother used these and more.  And I take this opportunity to agree with your brexit view. 😠

9 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

Dinna fash yersel'  =  dont get angry/upset from French 'facher'

The windae got panned, from the French 'en panne'  meaning broken down  (usually a vehicle, I guess it came back from WW1)

At the toot, meaning immediately, from 'toute suite'.      

san ferry ann  =  that doesn't matter   ( ça ne fait rien)

My mother used these and more.  And I take this opportunity to agree with your brexit view. 😠

Must have had the same French teacher as me 😂

On 20/03/2023 at 22:26, Boo Khaki said:

Do adolescent males still prove how hard they are by 'broncoing' swings?

Decky does a broncho is a fantastic play, and it's fairly modern so aye.

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

It was a shivery bite for us Dundonians

Ditto Capital City.

On a different theme, I was in the pub earlier on today and overheard a conversation between 4 of the bar staff (1 Scot, 2 English, 1 Aussie) re. the phrase 'clap yer dug'. The Scot could not convince the others that it meant 'to pet a dog'. The English thought they were the object of a piss take and the Aussie said that 'clap yer dug' is a slur on a dog's features i.e. ugly.

I couldn't be arsed chiming in .....................😦

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

10 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Ditto Capital City.

On a different theme, I was in the pub earlier on today and overheard a conversation between 4 of the bar staff (1 Scot, 2 English, 1 Aussie) re. the phrase 'clap yer dug'. The Scot could not convince the others that it meant 'to pet a dog'. The English thought they were the object of a piss take and the Aussie said that 'clap yer dug' is a slur on a dog's features i.e. ugly.

I couldn't be arsed chiming in .....................😦

I wonder why they are in any doubt - it's directly related to clapping your hands surely?