Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

'The gable end of a fiver'.

What is a 'gable end'? Also give it a few years and folk will be asking what a fiver is.

I know you're pretending not to understand something to make a point but your club plays in the same league as a team nicknamed the Gable Endies, it's not that bizarre.

32 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I know you're pretending not to understand something to make a point but your club plays in the same league as a team nicknamed the Gable Endies, it's not that bizarre.

Never said it was bizarre, and I'm fully aware of Montrose's nickname, but what exactly is a gable end? Certainly younger folk will have no idea.

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Never said it was bizarre, and I'm fully aware of Montrose's nickname, but what exactly is a gable end? Certainly younger folk will have no idea.

I'm pretty sure they still have "buildings" nowadays so this will only be ignorance, not youth.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

I saw phone etiquette/numbers mentioned a while back - did they standardise absolutely everybody's landline number back in the Nineties? I had a relative who lived in a wee cluster of six houses in the middle of nowhere; his phone number was something like 253 with a six-digit area code, back when most areas only had three or four digits.

I can't remember the exact year things were "standardised" but it might have been early 90's. I remember my local area code was 0324 and they (don't know who) thought it was a good idea to stick a 1 after the 0.

I think it was 1994 or 1995 when the changed area codes to have a 1 after the 0, so Inverness became 01463 instead of 0463. 

I saw a sign the other day with a number to call starting 031. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think it was 1994 or 1995 when the changed area codes to have a 1 after the 0, so Inverness became 01463 instead of 0463. 

I saw a sign the other day with a number to call starting 031. 

There was a wee shop in Alloa town centre that had been the office for a taxi service, and still had their 0259 phone number painted in the window until the mid-Aughts. Must have been empty for more than a decade.

I don't know how people can afford to leave property empty for so long, but it seems to happen a lot. One of the last businesses I worked at was turfed out because the owner thought he'd found a tenant who'd pay a higher rent, and it's been empty for about five years now. The owners told me they'd been kicked out of another shop for the same reason about ten years prior, and that unit's never been occupied either. Madness.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

There was a wee shop in Alloa town centre that had been the office for a taxi service, and still had their 0259 phone number painted in the window until the mid-Aughts. Must have been empty for more than a decade.

I don't know how people can afford to leave property empty for so long, but it seems to happen a lot. One of the last businesses I worked at was turfed out because the owner thought he'd found a tenant who'd pay a higher rent, and it's been empty for about five years now. The owners told me they'd been kicked out of another shop for the same reason about ten years prior, and that unit's never been occupied either. Madness.

Shop down the road from me has been empty for 30 years.

There was talk of the Council taking action but I don't think anything came of it 

On 08/03/2023 at 20:40, BigBo10 said:

Drap the weans aff at the swimmies when heading for your mid morning jobby draws many a confused look. 

Do folk still use "Baths" as a name for a swimming pool?

Infirmary Street still had actual baths in the 1980s up the stairs from the pool which you could pay to use. 

Infirmary Street is now an arts and crafts place but they kept the old "Baths" sign on display inside 

20 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Do folk still use "Baths" as a name for a swimming pool?

Infirmary Street still had actual baths in the 1980s up the stairs from the pool which you could pay to use. 

Infirmary Street is now an arts and crafts place but they kept the old "Baths" sign on display inside 

Both long gone now, bur in the '60's/early 70's in Arbroath the indoor pool on Marketgate was always "the baths" and the outdoor pool on the sea front was always "the pool".

And yes, the baths still had actual baths somewhere on the left after the entrance.

On 26/01/2023 at 12:47, Newbornbairn said:

Anybody remember coin meters on the telly?

Aye we had one in the 70s when I was still at school. The firm was called Telebank and the man came round and emptied the meter, which paid the rental and I think my folks had a savings book with the surplus.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

My grandfather once described a girl my uncle had went out with as someone who "looked like she had been dooking for chips"

Back in my day "dooking for chips" was the punchline to a racist joke... 

21 hours ago, TxRover said:

“Eighty six” something…meaning we’re out or don’t include that…”eighty six the onions”

That more an wrong country than age thing,

Thought that was a stupid American phrase,

Although the fact it an American phrase mostly makes the use of the word stupid redundant.