Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

There are some people who survive as slang even after fading into obscurity:

Joe Baksi- taxi

Ruby Murray - curry

Lillian Gish- Aberdeen FC

Will students of the future understand the terms "A Desmond" (2:2) or a Douglas (3rd)? And how will Jeremy Hunt be remembered...

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Joe Baksi- taxi

Ruby Murray - curry

Will students of the future understand the terms "A Desmond" (2:2) or a Douglas (3rd)? And how will Jeremy Hunt be remembered...

Jeremy Hunt is the perfect fit for an obscenity. There's the rhyming slang (obviously) but there's just the smug corrosive legacy of the Johnson era hanging over him. 

To my long suffering wife's dismay, I've taken to substituting the 'c' word for the 't' word, as in when the roads are icy it's 'that Tory fucking weather', or when a shelf (that admittedly I've put up) falls down it's 'that Tory fucking gravity'.

6 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Joe Baksi- taxi

Ruby Murray - curry

Jo Maxi for taxi up our way

single fish for pish

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

“Meet you by fountain/clock/Wimpy at half two”…

They understand the words, but can’t comprehend the necessity.

When I was dating a young lady from Glasgow in the late 90s, once I arrived in town I'd have to go to a phone box then send a message to her pager to tell her where to meet me. What a palava 

On 23/01/2023 at 23:06, DA Baracus said:

"Won a watch".

What does that nonsense ever mean?

I'd imagine that was like top prize at a fair and means you are lucky. You still hear it getting used.

47 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

When I was dating a young lady from Glasgow in the late 90s, once I arrived in town I'd have to go to a phone box then send a message to her pager to tell her where to meet me. What a palava 

I arranged to meet a lassie at a pub in Guildford in the 80s. I was inside, she was waiting outside. She went home in floods thinking I'd stood her up. 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

“Meet you by fountain/clock/Wimpy at half two”…

They understand the words, but can’t comprehend the necessity.

^^^

img.jpeg.8aa840dce644ded4afb462accec92e54.jpeg

There'll always be another clock of course.  "Ah, I thought you meant the kirk around the corner from my house as there's a clock on that.  Thought that would be obvious"

13 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

wearing braces and going "rock on Tommy" 

Another thing that seems to have gone is the comedy double act. Morcambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies, Cannon and Ball, Little and Large, etc. 

Most were shite to be fair (Trevor and Simon, Mel and Sue and so on)

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Another thing that seems to have gone is the comedy double act. Morcambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies, Cannon and Ball, Little and Large, etc. 

Include Baddiel & Skinner in the 'shite' category.

There's an old story about Mike and Bernie Winters playing The Glasgow Empire way back.......Mike is onstage and corpsing a bit, audience not responding at all......after a while Bernie, unannounced, walks onto the stage and is greeted with a voice from the crowd..... 'Aw Christ, there's two ae thum !'................................

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

p00sygfl.thumb.jpg.c11e00d6bf4022a925fb77827bb93b93.jpg

7 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Include Baddiel & Skinner in the 'shite' category.

There's an old story about Mike and Bernie Winters playing The Glasgow Empire way back.......Mike is onstage and corpsing a bit, audience not responding at all......after a while Bernie, unannounced, walks onto the stage and is greeted with a voice from the crowd..... 'Aw Christ, there's two ae thum !'................................

And an old Bernard Manning one. He's doing his routine and it's going badly. 

A guy in the audience stands up and Manning demands to know where he is going.

"I'm away for a shite before the comedian comes on"

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"Adjust that Contrast button."

In the early 70's, my folks basically lived on tick.........Provi cheques and my mother was in various 'clubs' and menages........and even our telly was on the never-never. It had a slot meter on the back which took 50p pieces. Each month, a wee guy from Radio Rentals came round and emptied the meter, there was usually a few quid left over which my old man would take for fags and the bookies.

Happy days.......................................not.

On 22/01/2023 at 15:07, Bert Raccoon said:

Yer maw taking you to What Everybody's every Saturday 

No sure what age you are, but I’m sure that was called “What Every Woman Wants” in the 70s. Just assumed it was the same shop that changed its name.