Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

Similar to the above, when I was about 10 years old, my pal and I were coming home from school and stopped to ask some workies what they were building. 

"A VD clinic son" 

Awkward scenes in both houses at tea-time that night. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Similar to the above, when I was about 10 years old, my pal and I were coming home from school and stopped to ask some workies what they were building. 

"A VD clinic son" 

Awkward scenes in both houses at tea-time that night. 

I'm sure I have the number for that place on my....

Rolodex.

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

You dancing?

You asking?

I'm asking.

I'm dancing.

That's how I got the current Mr Naitch back in 2013 :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

The wife had a Filofax up until about 2018. 

Absolute minter when she pulled it out in public.  Was like being in an episode of Only Fools and Horses.

Bet that's not the first time she's pulled it out in public.

Fnarr.

Usually in relation to a workplace, ‘this place couldnae run a minodge’. My tradesman used to utter those words every day to me when I was an apprentice. I don’t think anyone under 25 would know what a minodge is now. 

My mum used to have a few wee sayings that I’ve not heard anyone say in years. If she suspected someone of lying she would say ‘aye yer chookie birdy’. Im not sure why tbh maybe some of the older posters on here know it’s origin, but I knew what it meant when she said it. 

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Usually in relation to a workplace, ‘this place couldnae run a minodge’. My tradesman used to utter those words every day to me when I was an apprentice. I don’t think anyone under 25 would know what a minodge is now. 

My mum used to have a few wee sayings that I’ve not heard anyone say in years. If she suspected someone of lying she would say ‘aye yer chookie birdy’. Im not sure why tbh maybe some of the older posters on here know it’s origin, but I knew what it meant when she said it. 

You've just reminded me of Your arse in parsley! No idea where it comes from.

44 minutes ago, thisal said:

You've just reminded me of Your arse in parsley! No idea where it comes from.

You’ve also just reminded me that my mum and her sisters used to call spring onions ‘cybees’ and it’s been years since I’ve heard that word used. It popped into my head a few months back and I asked a couple of guys in work who are a similar age to me if they had ever heard them called that, and they looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. Pretty sure it was common to hear them called cybees in Scotland in years gone by but definitely not so much these days. 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

You’ve also just reminded me that my mum and her sisters used to call spring onions ‘cybees’ and it’s been years since I’ve heard that word used. It popped into my head a few months back and I asked a couple of guys in work who are a similar age to me if they had ever heard them called that, and they looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. Pretty sure it was common to hear them called cybees in Scotland in years gone by but definitely not so much these days. 

Yes they were referred to as this in my house too. 

Sights and sounds from my childhood:

(At the Palais de Danse) Urr ye dansin, Hen followed by Urr ye askin.

Ingin Johnnies.

Senga, Urr ye gawn doon the Steemie.

Single Woodbine

a Vantas from the School tuck shop

the cooncil lamplighter, employed nightly to start up the gas street lamps.

The claes pulley in the scullery.

The miners playing Pitch and Toss.

Edited by Blue Brazil Forever
Sp

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye we had that word too. It's an actual Scots word Syboe, but being working class Scots we pronounced it  'Sybie'. The Spanish for an onion is Cebolla and there's a French word Ciboule (Wiki's my friend...)

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I have absolutely no idea what a minodge is and have never heard that word before.

20 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Aye we had that word too. It's an actual Scots word Syboe, but being working class Scots we pronounced it  'Sybie'. The Spanish for an onion is Cebolla and there's a French word Ciboule (Wiki's my friend...)

Quite interesting. I’m sure if you done enough digging in to that you could trace back the origins of the word. I suppose Spain and France are both countries which use the Latin alphabet so it’s maybe not that far of a stretch, but there must be something for it to differ so much from the English word. 

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I have absolutely no idea what a minodge is and have never heard that word before.

I don’t think it’s something I would have known either if I hadn’t had it explained to me back when I worked with this guy. I believe it started with Glasgow housewives organising amongst themselves a kind of savings scheme, where women would put away a little bit of money every week in order to buy the more expensive household items like furniture etc., rather than paying it in one go. Sounds like a kind of 1950s Klarna only it was ran by Glasgow scheme wives.

It must have been quite a simple operation to run hence the phrase ‘couldn’t run a minodge’. 

Edited by IrishBhoy