Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

42 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Aye, we got relegated to the back room to watch Live Aid in glorious monochrome while Faatha watched snooker or a John Wayne film or something on the colour TV

I had just bought one of these from Savacentre in Cameron Toll. I watched all of Live Aid on it and recorded all the songs on the built in Cassette player.

50E57366-A3F5-43FA-9297-C650061C53CD.jpeg

8 minutes ago, supermik said:

I had just bought one of these from Savacentre in Cameron Toll. I watched all of Live Aid on it and recorded all the songs on the built in Cassette player.

*Insert Chewin the Fat "Oooh" Gif*

Our Mitsubishi colour TV was bought in the mid 70s. There were two switches - one was an on/off switch and the other was a stand by switch - which you pulled out.

If you were starting from scratch you put the on/off switch to on. Then you had to wait for the TV to warm up and a red light would go on to show it was ready. Only then could you start watching programmes 

It blew up in 1986 and the more modern TV (made in Haddington) that replaced it didn't need to warm up 

Edited by tamthebam

On 09/01/2023 at 21:25, Bert Raccoon said:

Keep yer hand on yer ha'penny

Copyright Scott McClue 

He's now a teacher at my kids' school and I met him at a recent parents' night (although I didn't know it was him at the time). He still seems to have a weekly YouTube broadcast.

Anyway, how's about "Haw Mister, gonna lift me over the turnstile"?

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Aye, we got relegated to the back room to watch Live Aid in glorious monochrome while Faatha watched snooker or a John Wayne film or something on the colour TV

You could have put one of these plastic screens on the B&W TV to make it a colour one!!

15 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Rose tinted glasses I think. The bin men took delight in emptying most of the bin contents between your garden and the road, then they threw the bin back over the fence. 

14 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Rose tinted glasses I think. The bin men took delight in emptying most of the bin contents between your garden and the road, then they threw the bin back over the fence. 

Lobby Binn would never stoop so low in this day and age

1 hour ago, supermik said:

I remember watching the news about Lockerbie unfold on one of those.  

10 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Getting annoyed because it always seemed to be you getting told to get up and change the channel on the TV.

Not so much a saying but, if you were lucky enough to have 2 TVs in the house, the second was always a black and white portable with a circular internal aerial stuck in the back.

The original B&W TV's were 405 lines, when 625 lines came out it was the equivalent of SD/HD.

If you had 625 lines you were a posh b*****d.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The original B&W TV's were 405 lines, when 625 lines came out it was the equivalent of SD/HD.

If you had 625 lines you were a posh b*****d.

BBC 2 was the first 625 lines channel.