16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Appreciate you meant the Championship but QoS did the League and Cup double in 2013 albeit we were in what was then known as Division 2. And in doing so prevented Partick Thistle doing the double with the Championship as both league winners met in the final.

If you really want to stretch definitions, the Rovers did the same in 2019/20, albeit the Cup was shared with Inverness and the league was decided on points per game. 

30 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

If you really want to stretch definitions, the Rovers did the same in 2019/20, albeit the Cup was shared with Inverness and the league was decided on points per game. 

Quite frankly, it's the greatest double in the history of football.

If it was just an Excercise , why thrown in 3 key players after the goal with 10 mins to go and Raith were packing the box? More chance of injury there than across the open pitch. And if the objective of the subs was to try and save the game - surely - why not do it with 20 mins to go? Looks to me like Coyle tried to spread his bet when the chips were already on black.

Changing the whole team proves little. It’s how these individuals fit into the first team that needs increased. Murray too was a shadow of this season last year because the passes/chances he now gets weren’t happening for the same reason, as HD described, Williamson was ineffective last night. 58% possession, zero shots on target. I still think a hybrid team would have been more effective last night, achieved what Coyle was looking for and kept us in the cup. Jarrett’s been impressive in the first team when other good players around him but lost possession repeatedly last night. Healey looks intriguing, but so too was Williamson when he arrived. The three aulder heids - Eze, Naismith and Longridge - were the poorest on the night.

Perhaps Coyle Jr got more out of it than his Dad🤷🏻‍♂️ Coyle has been fantastic for us but he’s still capable of an error of judgement. I’ve still no idea what it was in Stephen Eze that made Coyle think he could play at this level. 

Raith came to win and very short on players they could do little more than defend deep, in numbers, and work hard on breakaways. It worked! The big Nordic lad looks useful. As for a diddy cup….didn’t look very diddy the way your fans celebrated. Best of luck!

32 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

didn’t look very diddy the way your fans celebrated. 

I think a combination of Big John getting his first goal (a bit of a cult hero amongst some of our fans even if he's not had much game time) and the fact we're the cup holders grinding out a win with the squad we had available.  

45 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I think a combination of Big John getting his first goal (a bit of a cult hero amongst some of our fans even if he's not had much game time) and the fact we're the cup holders grinding out a win with the squad we had available.  

No need to explain. Over 90% of the league’s teams start the season without hope of a winning a cup. I think the smell about this tournament is the B team initiative followed by the UK invitations. I’d have loved to have won this cup. 

4 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You just had to go and say it didn't you. 

I know, I know ... I regretted it as soon as I hit "Submit Reply".  When the inevitable happens - I'm to blame!

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

No need to explain. Over 90% of the league’s teams start the season without hope of a winning a cup. I think the smell about this tournament is the B team initiative followed by the UK invitations. I’d have loved to have won this cup. 

^^^ This.

The competition's fine - just get the B teams into the sea.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

^^^ This.

The competition's fine - just get the B teams into the sea.

It wasn’t broken and they’ve completely wrecked it. Didn’t even get that usual sinking feeling when the ball hit the net last night. More of an “oh well.”

I know it doesn’t work this way, but if offered the chance of winning this or having the chance to progress in the Scottish Cup and potentially have a crack at a winnable tie against a Premiership side, I’d take the latter every time. 

Unless, I’d looked it up I couldn’t even have told you who’d won this last year. Raith doing Rangers at Easter Road and that mayhem final between Queen of the South and Thistle are the only things I can really remember over the past decade in terms of who actually won it.

Edited by an86

12 minutes ago, an86 said:

It wasn’t broken and they’ve completely wrecked it. Didn’t even get that usual sinking feeling when the ball hit the net last night. More of an “oh well.”

I know it doesn’t work this way, but if offered the chance of winning this or having the chance to progress in the Scottish Cup and potentially have a crack at a winnable tie against a Premiership side, I’d take the latter every time. 

Unless, I’d looked it up I couldn’t even have told you who’d won this last year. Raith doing Rangers at Easter Road and that mayhem final between Queen of the South and Thistle are the only things I can really remember over the past decade in terms of who actually won it.

There's absolutely no question that the League, the Big Cup and the League Cup are the main competitions in that order.  But we have to remember that (due to the financial landscape for most clubs up here) the opportunities to land silverware are extremely limited and this Diddy Cup is designed for us and is our only realistic target - soiling it with B sides is frankly criminal.  The objective of the Big Cup and L Cup for diddies is to try and go deep enough to get a share of a big gate (preferably away from home) against one of the "names" to hopefully fund the next season or so.  I lose no sleep getting knocked out of it, but getting to the final is usually a decent day out.  A semi-final at Love Street a few years back was also one of the best games I ever saw (OK - we won 5-3 which helps).

Edited by Otis Blue

5 hours ago, an86 said:

Unless, I’d looked it up I couldn’t even have told you who’d won this last year.

Easy for me to remember, Raith won it last year and shared with Inverness (covid restricted) the previous time it was played. IMHO it should carry a Europa Conference league spot 🤣.

Being serious though I only really take any notice of this cup if we're involved at the semi final stage, the final is a great day out and yeah, get those fucking B teams binned.

Edited by keyser_soze