Dundee 🔵⚪️ vs Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 Tuesday 28 February

Three points really needed here after failing to put ICT away on Saturday. Would love to see a more attacking line-up - Hannant in to start, move Mulligan into the middle and drop McGhee or Maguire. However, GazBo will drop Mulligan for McCowan and leave the midfield two as they are...

We can't keep missing opportunities. The problem is we will continue to do so and I wouldn't be surprised with a Thistle win tonight. 

Sorry for the pessimism fellow dee's but Morton and ICT games have sapped my confidence. 

There were some odd decisions from Bowyer at the weekend. I'm not convinced he knows his best 11 since January and I'm not convinced he knows how to get the best out of his players yet. 

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Not even going to click the link but I'll still complain that whatever Dundee are charging for PPV is too expensive. 

It's worth it at £20.

You could get a friend to go halves? 🙂

Smart money is on a Dundee win, I fear. While we have two clean sheets on the bounce our attacking threat is weak sauce right now.

Mullen's goal against Ayr aside, we've only scored from penalties, Michael Beale being a bad Rangers man, or against lower league opposition in the last 7 weeks.

2 minutes ago, GM1867 said:

£12.50! No chance. For a neutral, a fiver would be more realistic.

I have faith in our Glasgow comrades to do the job anyway.

Cheap skate.

Who the f**k has ever charged a fiver for a PPV stream other than pre-season friendlies? Too used to junior football.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheap skate.

Who the f**k has ever charged a fiver for a PPV stream other than pre-season friendlies? Too used to junior football.

Nah, it's about value for a neutral supporter. They might actually get more PPV if they reduced the prices but it's their call. It's not good value for me so I'll not be watching. 

Enjoy the game, Ludo

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheap skate.

I agree that the price is steep, given equivalent costs for far bigger and more in-demand events.  Having said that, I don’t know what it costs Dundee to produce the content in the first place, and what they need to charge to show a profit on it.  If a thousand people tune in at 12.50, then they lower the price to 5.00, and still only a thousand people watch, then they’re losing money.  If three thousand watch, then it’s good business, on multiple levels.  It might be better for growth and inclusion to offer it cheaper, but I assume they’re operating on a pretty tight margin, like most Scottish clubs….

(I have no idea how many people might subscribe - just taking a round number)

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Cheap skate.

6 minutes ago, GM1867 said:

Nah, it's about value for a neutral supporter. They might actually get more PPV if they reduced the prices but it's their call. It's not good value for me so I'll not be watching. 

Enjoy the game, Ludo

It’s actually a good point/idea. I looked, and the £12.50 price isn’t bad, but it’s not low enough to tempt third-parties. A fiver sounds low, but something in the £6.50-£7.99 range might just pay off, although the late notice is also an issue.

2 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

I agree that the price is steep, given equivalent costs for far bigger and more in-demand events.  Having said that, I don’t know what it costs Dundee to produce the content in the first place, and what they need to charge to show a profit on it.  If a thousand people tune in at 12.50, then they lower the price to 5.00, and still only a thousand people watch, then they’re losing money.  If three thousand watch, then it’s good business, on multiple levels.  It might be better for growth and inclusion to offer it cheaper, but I assume they’re operating on a pretty tight margin, like most Scottish clubs….

(I have no idea how many people might subscribe - just taking a round number)

I’ve tried a number of times to find any decent data on how many fans watch various PPV options (international, non-Saturday at 3PM, even audio stream only for UK), but the clubs apparently don’t distribute that data. If we had the data, we’d be able to better judge, but it also probably varies wildly between clubs due to quality, how long it’s been available, and (in a  few cases) how miserable it can be to listen to the commentators.

Just now, TxRover said:

It’s actually a good point/idea. I looked, and the £12.50 price isn’t bad, but it’s not low enough to tempt third-parties. A fiver sounds low, but something in the £6.50-£7.99 range might just pay off, although the late notice is also an issue.

But it is low enough to put off potential PatG customers.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’ve tried a number of times to find any decent data on how many fans watch various PPV options (international, non-Saturday at 3PM, even audio stream only for UK), but the clubs apparently don’t distribute that data. If we had the data, we’d be able to better judge, but it also probably varies wildly between clubs due to quality, how long it’s been available, and (in a  few cases) how miserable it can be to listen to the commentators.

Yeah, that’s what I assumed.  The problem ultimately is that there are a lot of ways that clubs could grow their support and “brand” (sorry!), making more money and growing their support base/attendances.  I could reel off a dozen ideas that I see over here in baseball alone.  
The problem is that it all takes a certain amount of investment that Scottish clubs don’t have (when they do get it they tend not to use it in the right ways), and they’re too close to the margins to experiment.  Taking this example, some good market research would give the clubs an idea of what kind of market they could create for their coverage, and targeted advertising would help sell it.  I doubt they have much money for either, forcing them to lean more heavily on the customer base they already have.

Of course it’s a double edged sword - the measures that might grow the game and the clubs are also ones that many committed supporters would be against, as they would change the club and the game (further) beyond where they still can identify with it.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

But it is low enough to put off potential PatG customers.

Yes, but, the question to ask is how many PATG customers do you actually lose? There is a clear difference between PATG and PPV. It’s comfortable sitting on the sofa, perhaps with a mate or two, warm and free to drink and eat what you want…but it’s not the experience. I’d say you’re much more likely to get a punter that considered going, but decided it’s cold, dark and possibly raining, plus work tomorrow and getting home after the game late just isn’t appealing.

There is a massive difference between the potential PATG customer on a weekday night and a weekend day. I’d be willing to bet that the vast majority of the weekday PATG crowd is fans who would have bought season tickets except they didn’t work for them because of the number of matches they’d miss, while there will be more casuals on the weekend PATG numbers (after all, with Dundee, you are better off PATG if you are going to miss 3 or more matches).