Gable Endies vs Doonhamers

1 hour ago, QOSfan019 said:

Theres the positively away…

but how did we play atleast if we played well there will be something to build on 

Queens passed the ball nicely at times but your back line looked even sketchier than our which has not been firing recently. Main thing that struck me was that the centre backs were not talking at all and No.35 was particularly poor overall.

16 minutes ago, The Gable Endie said:

Queens passed the ball nicely at times but your back line looked even sketchier than our which has not been firing recently. Main thing that struck me was that the centre backs were not talking at all and No.35 was particularly poor overall.

How was the Montrose performance?

Any signs of turning a corner on recent disappointments, other than escaping by a penalty miss to hang on for three points? The stats on the BBC website seem to suggest we were a bit lucky but that's just guesswork on my part.

Just now, Brummo said:

How was the Montrose performance?

Any signs of turning a corner on recent disappointments, other than escaping by a penalty miss to hang on for three points? The stats on the BBC website seem to suggest we were a bit lucky but that's just guesswork on my part.

Yeah, definitely much improved when I saw them last. Defence was much more solid and midfield had more of a control on the game. Now need to improve in the final third and we’re set for the playoffs if we play like that week in week out.

I'm pretty sure Bartley knew he had a big job ahead but today reinforced that. 

I like the look of the new keeper. The new defender (Brydon) I thought did OK especially when you consider the quality of the other defenders in the back 4. He shows promise.

We absolutely need someone who can both defend and crucially organise a defence. 

Thought Paton was best for us, Todd played well first half but faded a bit 2nd half and as for that penalty deary me. Woeful.

Wilson missing out through injury again a big blow. 

Overall I thought Montrose were probably just the better side but had we scored the penalty a draw wouldn't have been unfair.

Just to note (and praise) some quality time wasting from Montrose after they took the lead. 

Still it's not all bad. Max Currie gone and it seems East Kilbride might even have paid a fee for him 😁

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Certainly not a classic. First half was a non event. Mo came out of the blocks at the start of the second half and scored on the back of some sustained pressure.  We then sat back and let QOS back into it. Thought we'd blown it when the penalty was awarded but that attempt made Harry Kanes look like a close shave. The ref let a lot go but it looked a rather robust challenge just before the pen leaving Brown lying injured. Big Kerr Waddle certainly merited his MOM award. Him and Dillon were solid at the back.

Montrose worthy winners despite the very best efforts of the referee.

Queens weren’t awful but you can see why they’ve struggled- lightweight & low on confidence. We laughed at lot at McKenna. I’m sure Bartley will turn things around given time.

Lyons scored an excellent goal to win the game but a neutral will point to absolutely appalling defending- 3 or 4 chances to atop the build up / shot missed.

Infuriating refereeing- penalty very very soft & several heavy challenges / blatant fouls on Montrose players missed whilst whistle immediately blown for challenges the other way. A very clear penalty shout denied too. Whoever that guy was, not fit to be a senior referee.

Still we take the three points & move on. Happy with that. Congratulations also to Josh Todd for the successful launch of the first Dumfries probe into orbit.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Bartley has 2 weeks to get some quality loan signing in there has to be a improvement or what is the point of sacking WG.

Said it the other week but it wouldn't matter who we brought in as manager. The squad apart from two or three just aren't good enough. 

He'll do good once he's got his own squad in so we all need to just calm down and wait till next season realistically. 

16 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Maybe asking too much to get the quality we need in 2 weeks but make no mistake we will stay at 8th place no matter who the manager is with this squad.

Problem is the squad is already too big and I reckon Billy won't be overly keen to part with even more cash on wages until the deadwood is either moved on either in the unlikely event that they are wanted by other clubs or mutually agree to contract terminations which is just as unlikely given that many may struggle to get another full-time gig.

Looked the fixtures pre Xmas Kelty, Clyde, Alloa at home Falkirk and Montrose away. Thought that, even with our shortcomings it wasn't asking too much to hope for 9 points from a possible 15..................we have managed 1 solitary win and 4 defeats. No New Manager bounce today - just more of the same insipid, aimless football with no cutting edge whatsoever and a dreadful defence. McKenna's defending for the goal was typical - ball watching and then when Lyons ran at him he backed off and backed off rather than try and hold him up in a less dangerous area. Schoolboy stuff really. 

Feel sorry for Paton tonight - not for the first time this season he must be wondering when some of his colleagues are going to show up especially his strike partner Reilly who becomes more and more anonymous with every passing week. Paton did a power of work, showed for the ball repeatedly and his touch and passing was really good in tough conditions. I think McKechnie showed today why he has not featured for some time. GK looked good - I will reserve judgement on Brydon until he gets some proper support from those around him. Don't think anybody would be comfortable mopping up Dave McKay's mistakes.

Vital win, which hopefully will give a bit of confidence back to the team. Think we just about deserved it - our midfield worked well today, which isn't something I've typed much in the last two months.

I'm putting the QOS penalty miss down to karma because it looked very soft, as already mentioned. Bartley has a lot of dreck to clear out in that side.

3 hours ago, Scorge said:

Vital win, which hopefully will give a bit of confidence back to the team. Think we just about deserved it - our midfield worked well today, which isn't something I've typed much in the last two months.

I'm putting the QOS penalty miss down to karma because it looked very soft, as already mentioned. Bartley has a lot of dreck to clear out in that side.

An arm around the waste pulling the player to ground? Looks like the easiest decision the ref had to make all day. 

The penalty itself was absolutely awful. Looked an even game with us coming out second best again. Thought the boy took his goal really well. Could have easily went for power but it was good composure and a cheeky wee finish. 

Queens players blootering tha ba' wide or high doesn't really surprise me, you just need to watch their pre-match shooting in practice when they're under no pressure. It's more likely they'll knock the chips out of some poor spectator's hand up near the tea bar than get shots on target. Why must they always try to burst the net, concentrate on getting it on target. 

I like Todd as a player, but that really is one extraordinarily bad penalty.

He doesn't even blast it over, but instead chips it there.  It looks like the Harry Kane one, not from the France game, but from the jokey film he did years earlier with Johnny Wilkinson.

Watched the highlights earlier, not sure how the ref missed/didn’t think the Dillon pull back on McKechnie was a foul. McKechnie staying on his feet maybe going against him but was no advantage signalled so got to assume the ref didn’t see it from his angle or didn’t think it was a foul 🤯.