Forfar Athletic vs Dumbarton

Forfar Athletic vs Dumbarton   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/01/23 at 15:00

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The better team won yesterday, full stop, but I can I just point out to some hyperventilating Loons fans that you were playing ten men for almost eighty minutes.  At our level that length of time is a tough shift.

As for Dumbarton, injuries and suspensions were eventually going to impact our season.  The former we can do little about but the number of stupid bookings is a huge problem.  Love, McKee and Carswell (who I think is now suspended) didn't help yesterday.

The takeaway from this game is that Forfar are steadily improving under McKinnon without being brilliant, whilst Dumbarton may well now struggle to remain top, especially with a lack of physicality in midfield. 

The 6 yellow cards that Carswell is on is only enough for a suspension in the first 18 games of the season. 

1 hour ago, cedrick1 said:

Watched the highlights

not sure about sending off. Minimal contact and seemed to be off balance .

more than being fouled . If it is a sending off it’s a bit harsh 

Forfar penalty defo . I’d  want that all day 

Contact for the red card was minimal, the main issue was that McGeever was the last man and Ben Armour was waiting for contact since he beat him at the halfway line.

I thought the Forfar pen was outside but the highlights show it as on the line.

The Dumbarton pen is still strange, Nditi & Love definitely fell over each other but doubt Nditi pushed him as the ref must've believed.

Yeah, I didn't make the game but the highlights do make the red seem a bit harsh, in my opinion. Looked like their were others getting back and there wasn't all that much contact outside of 2 players battling for the ball/coming together.

I do find it strange as I feel that Armour could have probably just motored away from McGeever but it was like he was waiting for the challenge to be made on him, rather than trying to get the shot away.

A lot being made of the red card but Carswell is piss weak at both goals. You understand McGeever being off the pace with him being out so long (and I think Faz got the selection wrong there) but in that situation you need Carswell to be the rock he has been for much of the season. Really does go to show how important it is for us to keep our best players available, I don't think we've lost a game yet with our best 11 on the pitch. 

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

A lot being made of the red card but Carswell is piss weak at both goals. You understand McGeever being off the pace with him being out so long (and I think Faz got the selection wrong there) but in that situation you need Carswell to be the rock he has been for much of the season. Really does go to show how important it is for us to keep our best players available, I don't think we've lost a game yet with our best 11 on the pitch. 

McGeever pretty much demanded Carsy left the player to him in the lead up to the first goal. I think had McGeever not been shouting "I'm here. I'm here. I'm here." Carswell would have handled the situation himself. 

If that was against us I'd be screaming for a red card.

Armour trying his best to get the foul in the box too, wee shite couldn't pass the ball 5 yards when he was with us.

Terrible from Carswell on the first goal.

Foul for the pen looks marginally outside for me.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

So how do you 'keep your best players available' ?  There's hee-haw that can be done to prevent injuries, and the current playing style in which we habitually invite teams onto us is leading to a pile of cards which eventually turn into suspensions.  For these reasons I don't think we're going to see our best XI very often for the remainder of the season - we just need to get on with it.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So how do you 'keep your best players available' ?  There's hee-haw that can be done to prevent injuries, and the current playing style in which we habitually invite teams onto us is leading to a pile of cards which eventually turn into suspensions.  For these reasons I don't think we're going to see our best XI very often for the remainder of the season - we just need to get on with it.

I wouldn't say it's our style of play that leads to cards. We're the most booked team in the division, but have conceded the lowest number of fouls. Some Duck Tape might help that a wee bit. We pick up a lot of stupid cards for stuff like that; kicking the ball away, timewasting and so on. And that's before you mention Carsy's propensity to fly into a challenge for no apparent reason and pick up a pointless booking.

With the threshold now up to 12 bookings now for a ban, there shouldn't be too many players looking at a suspension either, certainly not until the final weeks of the season anyway.

I have Blair on eight bookings in all comps, which I'm assuming is why it's listed as five below but he was banned on Saturday. So there might be other issues in this. But it looks broadly accurate.

screenshot-www.transfermarkt_co.uk-2023_01.16-14_01_21.thumb.png.dbcd67de6cb6c81300117fe89a4e7c37.png

30 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Obviously you can't stop injuries but you can stop silly yellow and red cards. Our back 4 especially are so important to us and none of them are particularly injury prone. 

1 hour ago, Thommo90 said:

Armour trying his best to get the foul in the box too, wee shite couldn't pass the ball 5 yards when he was with us.

Well, he's definitely improved since that handful of games in 2019, then. A firm favourite at Station Park these days.

2 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Well, he's definitely improved since that handful of games in 2019, then. A firm favourite at Station Park these days.

I wouldn't say he's a firm favourite yet. If he goes on a goalscoring spree until the end of the season and gets us promoted then he may become a firm favourite. 

He certainly isn't disliked by the fans as Ben seems to be the only striker at the moment that can somewhat find the net for the Loons.

I’ve definitely been impressed by Ben considering reports from other fans and the amount of goals scored when he signed. Similar to what Bridie Vision says, he looks to me like the only striker that is capable of doing something.

In fact, he’s actually almost doubled his previous career tally of seven goals just this season. It’s amazing what working with a good manager will do for a player.