Aberdeen v St Johnstone - 8/1/23

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

To start Macpherson, Crawford and Murphy over Wotherspoon recently is just mind-blowing.

This is what i find odd.

Youve got comfortably the best midfielder at the club back and full of confidence after playing at the World Cup, yet youre benching him to play lesser players, seemingly based on them not being shite in their 10 minute cameos at the end of a match.

Genuinely looks like we've randomly chucked Murphy into the team, and changed shape to accommodate him, because he moaned about not playing much to the papers. 

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Do I really have to leave the pub?

I honestly wouldnt bother, we've set up to shitfest a point.

4 CBs on the park and May as a lone striker.

Trying to put a positive spin on it at least we have a LWB and two actual midfielders as the sitting two (though I'd probably have Phillips over McPherson) so at least the shape shouldn't be the mess it was the last couple of games.

Cannot see the logic in the return to the 5-2-3 from an attacking  POV though. May's been much better alongside a partner and struggled on his own and as others of stated Murphy and Carey haven't shown an awful lot recently to pick themselves over the plethora of options in those positions either. Need both, and particularly Murphy, to provide a lot more effort when we don't have the ball either.

Clark was I’ll pre-Hearts allegedly hence why he’s not playing, but even so give Bair a shot from the start and actually play 2 proper strikers. 

Carey did that exact thing about half a dozen times last week. Turned into trouble when he absolutely didn’t need to and gave the ball away. That was absolutely stupid when a ball up the park was on even if it was just into a channel. MacPherson - not unexpectedly - was a complete shitebag about it when it came into the box as well. Absolutely pitiful. We’ve completely got away with one there.

The initial free kick showed the issue with this system as well though - absolutely no outball and so easy to defend against.

If Aberdeen don't bottle this they should absolutely hammer us.

About 70% possession, goal was their 4th shot from within 12 yards, and our manager literally has no idea how to turn this type of situation around.

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Poor from Carey to lose the ball prior to the free-kick, but that tends to happen when there’s f**k all in front of him. MacPherson turned far too easily. 

Hes a nightmare. The flicks and tricks that saw Vertainen hounded out the club never to play for us again is a weekly occurence with Carey.

This has the unmistakable Callum Davidson-era Saints vibe of a lower league side clinging on away at a below average top flight side. 9 times out of ten they’ll break our resistance at some point.

Talking of which, have we completed ten passes yet? 

6 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I have absolutely no idea what Carey or Murphy are supposed to offer in this shape. You’re ending up with Carey drifting out right where he can’t use the ball at all.

He has no idea about getting the best from attacking players.

I'm pretty sure he only persists with Carey because he can occasionally score a worldy from out of nowhere. 

Edited by The Saintee

We've been the better team by far. If Miovski wasn't low on confidence then I'd bet my mortgage on him taking one of those chances.

From my seat in the RDS that looked a clear foul in the box by Considine. I thought the ref was having a decent game but Consi is getting away with murder.

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I can accept a bit of negativity but we've got absolutely no clue or ability to play out. 

We're just a defence giving the ball back to Aberdeen 

Hard to tell what you're trying to do, tbh. Not really interested in attacking but not parking the bus and scrapping for everything like Ross County.

But of a nothing performance.

We played more open and expansive away at Celtic Park. This is an Aberdeen team who are badly off form in front of a home crowd who could easily be tipped into open revolt if we exerted a bit of pressure. Instead we’ve gone with no intent of trying to do anything in a shape that doesn’t work with the players in it and with players in it who are badly out of form.

Carey and Murphy need hooked for Wotherspoon and Carey immediately with the shape changing with it.

13 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

This has the unmistakable Callum Davidson-era Saints vibe of a lower league side clinging on away at a below average top flight side. 9 times out of ten they’ll break our resistance at some point.

Aye.

He needs to change things at half time to stop us being outnumbered in midfield and having an isolated striker.

A chance to prove he can adapt in game before its too late.