Angus Gunn to declare for Scotland?

9 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Really yet Motherwell were recently on an unbeaten run untill they got Rangers suppose Kelly had absolutely nothing to do with it then right?

Not really, no. We signed some new defenders, went to a new shape and got a new manager. 

Tbf to Kelly having an awful defence in front of him for most of the season can’t of helped but if you think he’s been performing well then you can’t have been watching very closely. 

I’ll only ever have seen Gunn play fleetingly on Match of the Day I suspect, but Clark and Kelly are essentially only in the squad by virtue of being Scottish goalkeepers and playing regular football, not because of their ability. Kelly especially is rubbish, Clark maybe scraping average  

The same has been true for years. Who are they beating into the squad? Ross Laidlaw? Craig MacGilvaray at Burton Albion? Ross Doohan at Forest Green? That’s genuinely about it, and I dare say if Doohan was playing for Motherwell and Kelly at Forest Green their positions would likely be reversed. 

I’d be stunned if Gunn doesn’t play. 

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

Happ that Gunn has declared but i feel like if Clarke is one to reward loyalty, the likes of Kelly/Clark have been on the fringes for years. I believe Gunn has been asked before so... 🤷

He “rewards loyalty” in the sense that a decent player who always turns up like Armstrong or Christie is favoured over a similarly talented player in the same position who’s commitment is wishy washy at best (Fraser)

It doesn’t mean he will pick a rubbish player over a genuinely decent option purely on the basis of loyalty though.

I also think the players that have taken some convincing to come in before (i.e., Adams and McTominay) have been given a clean slate on the day they declare for Scotland. Gunn should get the same and as long as he’s committed from this squad onwards then that’s enough for me. 

35 minutes ago, Paco said:

I’ll only ever have seen Gunn play fleetingly on Match of the Day I suspect, but Clark and Kelly are essentially only in the squad by virtue of being Scottish goalkeepers and playing regular football, not because of their ability. Kelly especially is rubbish, Clark maybe scraping average  

The same has been true for years. Who are they beating into the squad? Ross Laidlaw? Craig MacGilvaray at Burton Albion? Ross Doohan at Forest Green? That’s genuinely about it, and I dare say if Doohan was playing for Motherwell and Kelly at Forest Green their positions would likely be reversed. 

I’d be stunned if Gunn doesn’t play. 

Indeed.  You really are talking about one or two injuries before the likes of Ross Laidlaw are being called up.  I like Ross - I think he’s probably no worse than Clark,  but if he’s an international keeper then I should be playing for Raith Rovers.  It’s a real worry.  Gunn will be there for a while, I suspect.  The other two… just by staying fit get included. 

Clark has it in him to have a game that it looks like he’s blind.   Kelly seems to be consistently not very good.

Ross Laidlaw is miles behind Zander Clark and Kelly (based off the last season - 18 months) is a fair bit away as well. Can’t comment on Angus Gunn as I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually watched him play 

17 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Gunn had a good save against Cyprus,hope he has a blinder against Spain and any doubters should hopefully 100 per cent back him,was maybe in that camp before but willing to back him and happy that he has come in for us we really need him

What good save are you talking about? I barely remember him touching the ball apart from one or two shots that were straight at him and that unfortunate slip from which he did well to avoid handling outside the box.

Obviously good to start with a clean sheet but let’s be honest, Gunn could have spent the afternoon making cups of tea for the ball boys and stewards for all we know. The ball was camped in the Cyprus half for most of the fixture. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What good save are you talking about? I barely remember him touching the ball apart from one or two shots that were straight at him and that unfortunate slip from which he did well to avoid handling outside the box.

Obviously good to start with a clean sheet but let’s be honest, Gunn could have spent the afternoon making cups of tea for the ball boys and stewards for all we know. The ball was camped in the Cyprus half for most of the fixture. 

Deflected shot was a good save all down to his concentration it wasn't that easy to make saw keepers be troubled with that kindvoff shot before 

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

Been excellent so far. A better all round goalkeeper than I thought initially. The big things for me so far is how quick he is off his line and also how good he is with the ball at his feet. He just 'looks like a modern day goalkeeper'.

Agree - he got out fast as a sweeper a couple of times last night, a good stop or two too, and looked calm and comfortable throughout despite conceding 3 (none of which were remotely his fault).  Really pleased to have him as our established #1.

Yep, he's absolutely fine, and I can't recall anything he's done so far to criticise him for, which is pretty impressive.

Starting to think that we should start picking players based on how many times they've turned us down.

On 13/09/2023 at 08:40, Elgin Macca said:

Been excellent so far. A better all round goalkeeper than I thought initially. The big things for me so far is how quick he is off his line and also how good he is with the ball at his feet. He just 'looks like a modern day goalkeeper'.

Yup. Can't see Gordon getting his place back.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

out for a couple of months apparently. Imagine going to Georgia needing something without Gunn and Robertson *shudders*......... Thankfully its job done! :)

A couple of months? 😂 Where have you picked that up from mate? He is expected to miss the next three games and it's not yet clear as to whether he will be available for Scotland in November.

Yeah he had (a scan). He will miss the next three games (28-0ct to 11-Nov) before the international break, but after the international break he will be back. He pulled his muscle.

David Wagner

https://youtu.be/7fvdaNDXJXc?si=q_OlF6MiBiJRQyiT&t=330

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

A couple of months? 😂 Where have you picked that up from mate? He is expected to miss the next three games and it's not yet clear as to whether he will be available for Scotland in November.

https://youtu.be/7fvdaNDXJXc?si=q_OlF6MiBiJRQyiT&t=330

This is the one I saw this morning. Granted this sounds like before the scan. Good news that there's a chance he'll make it then  :)

1 hour ago, Elgin Macca said:

This is the one I saw this morning. Granted this sounds like before the scan. Good news that there's a chance he'll make it then  :)

That twitter account posted that (including a clickbait heading) less than an hour before the Norwich manager did his post match where the subject was discussed which is a head scratcher in itself. Chinese whispers.

Edited by 2426255