Angus Gunn to declare for Scotland?

There is no downside to Angus Gunn declaring for Scotland. If we play him, and he's good, great. If he's pretty rubbish, like Jordan Archer was, then we don't have to play him again.

I suspect he wasn't willing to commit until he had assurances he would be first choice, and that pathway has opened now. Fine, it doesn't really matter.

As to how Scottish he feels, this also doesn't matter. Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor are as Scottish as they come and both absolutely disgraced the national side. By contrast, the likes of Che Adams and Matt Ritchie (at least at the beginning) aren't Scottish at all but were professional and performed well. Up to Clarke to make the character assessment.

If the sub keepers are unhappy that they have been 'overlooked' - c'est la vie. Perform better and you will overtake Gunn. If Oliver Kahn/Marc Andre Ter Stegan can cope with being second choice at national team level, so can Robby McCrorie 

As for Gunn having no chance of playing for England - this isn't really correct. Nick Pope was 26 when he first got his call up. At 21 Gunn was first choice for Norwich in the Championship (he played every league game and even made the England squad as a replacement), at 21 Pope managed 5 appearances in the Conference Premier for Aldershot. Gunn played at all England youth levels including 12 appearances for England U21s, Pope never made any youth internationals. Guys like Sam Johnstone have 3 England caps, Jack Butland has 9. So the idea that Gunn can never play for England, and he knows it, sounds a bit unlikely. He doesn't have to look far to find players he's been ahead of for a decent chunk of his career, or ones who are objectively a bit crap. There are many goalkeeping debuts for England above Gunns current age of 26, and goalkeepers tend to peak later (hopefully he declares for us, and peaks later).

Of all the options following Gordons injury, Gunn is the best one. But I wouldn't lose sleep if he doesn't declare, his choice, his life. He's been in the England setup since he was a kid after all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 09/01/2023 at 10:58, Satoshi said:

There is no downside to Angus Gunn declaring for Scotland. If we play him, and he's good, great. If he's pretty rubbish, like Jordan Archer was, then we don't have to play him again.

I suspect he wasn't willing to commit until he had assurances he would be first choice, and that pathway has opened now. Fine, it doesn't really matter.

As to how Scottish he feels, this also doesn't matter. Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor are as Scottish as they come and both absolutely disgraced the national side. By contrast, the likes of Che Adams and Matt Ritchie (at least at the beginning) aren't Scottish at all but were professional and performed well. Up to Clarke to make the character assessment.

If the sub keepers are unhappy that they have been 'overlooked' - c'est la vie. Perform better and you will overtake Gunn. If Oliver Kahn/Marc Andre Ter Stegan can cope with being second choice at national team level, so can Robby McCrorie 

As for Gunn having no chance of playing for England - this isn't really correct. Nick Pope was 26 when he first got his call up. At 21 Gunn was first choice for Norwich in the Championship (he played every league game and even made the England squad as a replacement), at 21 Pope managed 5 appearances in the Conference Premier for Aldershot. Gunn played at all England youth levels including 12 appearances for England U21s, Pope never made any youth internationals. Guys like Sam Johnstone have 3 England caps, Jack Butland has 9. So the idea that Gunn can never play for England, and he knows it, sounds a bit unlikely. He doesn't have to look far to find players he's been ahead of for a decent chunk of his career, or ones who are objectively a bit crap. There are many goalkeeping debuts for England above Gunns current age of 26, and goalkeepers tend to peak later (hopefully he declares for us, and peaks later).

Of all the options following Gordons injury, Gunn is the best one. But I wouldn't lose sleep if he doesn't declare, his choice, his life. He's been in the England setup since he was a kid after all. 

No change to my view above.

I would caution on 'hes in the championship so must be good' line - Jordan Archer was a regular in the championship. And there are many shite players there, and many Scotsmen who play regularly and with club poty awards but don't get in our squad (e.g. Murray Wallace).

Just being paid a lot doesn't make you a good player, the championship is a financial basket case all round and due to Brexit laws the big beneficiaries of it are local players. 

Hope Gunn does well, even with his offences to date he's still less dislikeable than Allan McGregor.

Nor is the idea of Gunn having no chance with England credible either, as the post above outlines.

Gunn is in because it's a position we are currently weak in rather than him being a particularly good player. All national sides will have some strong positions and some weak positions and this is even more apparent in smaller nations like ourselves.

On 11/03/2023 at 11:16, General dissaray said:

Get the threat changed back then Bullywee and keep your promice,and never doubt me again 😄😄😄

You've literally mooted female players as signing candidates for the men's game before, purely because you saw their name and assumed they were guys.

@Bully Wee Villa - was it you who locked that thread, you destroyer of comedy?

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

You've literally mooted female players as signing candidates for the men's game before, purely because you saw their name and assumed they were guys.

@Bully Wee Villa - was it you who locked that thread, you destroyer of comedy?

What are you slavering about?100 per cent that never happened,so stop talking absolutely shite or else prove it?Which we both know that you canny

7 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

What are you slavering about?100 per cent that never happened,so stop talking absolutely shite or else prove it?Which we both know that you canny

Which bit? The part where you started a thread to post literally hundreds of random players you'd never seen, but that you thought Scottish clubs should sign? That you did so little research that some of them turned out to be women? Or that one of the mods (sadly, as it was hilarious) closed the thread and advised you to start a blog instead of spamming the forum?

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

Which bit? The part where you started a thread to post literally hundreds of random players you'd never seen, but that you thought Scottish clubs should sign? That you did so little research that some of them turned out to be women? Or that one of the mods (sadly, as it was hilarious) closed the thread and advised you to start a blog instead of spamming the forum?

So you can't prove this actually hapoened?Again thought not like ive previously stated,if it had happened you would have threaded it up,but you can't becouse it never happened 

Also what is up with putting up players on a so called football web sight?

Unless you aren't interested in football?Say what you want about me,but I'm actually interested in football 

Where as your only here for pathetic childist arguments and point scoring,obviously on your various different accounts 

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

So you can't prove this actually hapoened?Again thought not like ive previously stated,if it had happened you would have threaded it up,but you can't becouse it never happened 

Also what is up with putting up players on a so called football web sight?

Unless you aren't interested in football?Say what you want about me,but I'm actually interested in football 

Where as your only here for pathetic childist arguments and point scoring,obviously on your various different accounts 

Being accused of having aliases by Dryhorce on one of his "various different accounts"  :lol:

Here's you posting hundreds of random players that you researched so poorly that some turned out to be women. The thread was closed with the advice that you should start a blog instead of spamming the forum. I'm amazed I remembered it all so well. You even started the thread by admitting that you'd done it all before and the mods slapped you down for it then too.

Massive fan of your comedy stylings, BTW.

6 hours ago, BTFD said:

Being accused of having aliases by Dryhorce on one of his "various different accounts"  :lol:

Here's you posting hundreds of random players that you researched so poorly that some turned out to be women. The thread was closed with the advice that you should start a blog instead of spamming the forum. I'm amazed I remembered it all so well. You even started the thread by admitting that you'd done it all before and the mods slapped you down for it then too.

Massive fan of your comedy stylings, BTW.

Again prove it or else ot never happened,this is a football page why would mods get upset about posting players?Seriously weird platform this is then,if there taking doon players and calling it something that it isn't but lets face it the pages been shite for years and dying on its arse much like your patter

32 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Again prove it or else ot never happened,this is a football page why would mods get upset about posting players?Seriously weird platform this is then,if there taking doon players and calling it something that it isn't but lets face it the pages been shite for years and dying on its arse much like your patter

Have you genuinely forgotten this happened, and you're refusing to read back to remind yourself?  How about the time you didn't realise web browsers came with accessibility options, so you started typing everything in 30pt font and randomly being angry with people about it? Have the words "Maxwell Blackpool" and "Mubtumbo" lost meaning for you too?

Apologies if this is some kind of genuine condition you're suffering from (you trumpet), but you really are an absolute treasure!

On 21/01/2023 at 13:26, eez-eh said:

There would be something amusing about him eventually declaring for us only to not be called up because he isn’t playing.

Play him one game then dropped completely. Rule out him ever playing for England. What he deserves for making us his second choice 

2 hours ago, BTFD said:

Have you genuinely forgotten this happened, and you're refusing to read back to remind yourself?  How about the time you didn't realise web browsers came with accessibility options, so you started typing everything in 30pt font and randomly being angry with people about it? Have the words "Maxwell Blackpool" and "Mubtumbo" lost meaning for you too?

Apologies if this is some kind of genuine condition you're suffering from (you trumpet), but you really are an absolute 

Prove it go on prove it,prove any off these things have happened cos without proof it never happened aye a lot off people have crap patter or cant see any kind off context to a conversation in here anyway ive better things to do on Saturday night replying to this kind off noncence 

23 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Prove it go on prove it,prove any off these things have happened cos without proof it never happened aye a lot off people have crap patter or cant see any kind off context to a conversation in here anyway ive better things to do on Saturday night replying to this kind off noncence 

Considering I've literally posted a link to the actual thread you deny existing, I'm not sure what your definition of "proof" is. Photos of you at the computer, logged into your account, bashing away at your keyboard? Would you then claim you weren't the person in the pictures? 

BTW, you posted that after midnight on Sunday morning, after replying all evening. Factually, you didn't have anything better to do on your Saturday night than reply to this kind of...

image.gif