Angus Gunn to declare for Scotland?

16 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

No way should he be playing for Scotland, he’s been asked before and refused. I’d have Alan Rough back before I’d have him.

His career has gone south & now there’s speculation he will lower himself to pull on a Scotland jersey, get him so far to f**k & then slightly further. 

Aye Mon the bag pipes and tatties and get yon dafty Che Adams oot anol since he turned us down a few times.

this post is entirely sarcastic btw.

Before, he's always said, no, doesn't want to play for us, doesn't identify with Scotland. What' s changed, apart from the receding chance of an Engerlundland call-up?

Whatever he brought, it wouldn't be passion for the team. I'd rather play the best available who really wants to play for Scotland.

I’m sure he previously had quotes attributed to him basically saying that as he’d played for England through the age groups he felt an obligation to stay available for England for the foreseeable future. I’d put this in the Arfield category rather than Harry Souttar.
Jay McEveley said he wanted to play for England, but would maybe play for Scotland if he wasn’t good enough; and Matt Ritchie said he was English. Dominic Matteo had even been an unused sub for England. All of them seemed to be fully committed when on the pitch and hopefully Gunn would be the same if he ends up playing for us

57 minutes ago, CH86 said:

I’m sure he previously had quotes attributed to him basically saying that as he’d played for England through the age groups he felt an obligation to stay available for England for the foreseeable future. I’d put this in the Arfield category rather than Harry Souttar.
Jay McEveley said he wanted to play for England, but would maybe play for Scotland if he wasn’t good enough; and Matt Ritchie said he was English. Dominic Matteo had even been an unused sub for England. All of them seemed to be fully committed when on the pitch and hopefully Gunn would be the same if he ends up playing for us

I would debate that Ritchie particularly and Matteo seemed fully committed 

27 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd agree with that as well, but let's judge Angus Gunn against nobody but Angus Gunn.

We need him, at this minute in time,  simply,  which is probably what he's being told 

Must be disheartening for your Kelly's and what not,  who'll then be asked to turn up as his deputy 

However,  they know the score

1 hour ago, Binos said:

I would debate that Ritchie particularly and Matteo seemed fully committed 

Ritchie was never arsed. Matteo took an age to accept a call up then walked away after a handful of caps.

I'm pro-Gunn btw, just responding to this post specifically 

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Ritchie was never arsed. Matteo took an age to accept a call up then walked away after a handful of caps.

Yeah when we didn't qualify for japan/korea matteo realised had made a mistake,  in his mind,  and 'retired'

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

If he wants to play for us then he is by some distance the best available option.

what do you base that on?  I have admittedly only seen him a few times on tv and genuinely  not been impressed at all

Oh, and his dad still owes me £2 as he sponsored me to run the Paris marathon in 1985

15 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Ritchie had a good couple years when he first got called until he pulled out of a couple friendly squads and fell out with the management team, he was 100% not arsed in the end but saying he was never arsed is harsh.

49 minutes ago, Pollok mad said:

Ritchie had a good couple years when he first got called until he pulled out of a couple friendly squads and fell out with the management team, he was 100% not arsed in the end but saying he was never arsed is harsh.

Aye, I accept he put in a few good shifts for us, but given the way it turned out it's hard not to look on those few performances and wonder if he was playing for himself or for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

what do you base that on?  I have admittedly only seen him a few times on tv and genuinely  not been impressed at all

Oh, and his dad still owes me £2 as he sponsored me to run the Paris marathon in 1985

Well it’s him, Liam Kelly or Zander Clarke, isn’t it? 

If he's willing to endure the dressing room banter at Norwich for being publicly overlooked by England and reduced to turning out for pub league Scotland, he probably deserves his chance. Not everybody choose to take that on the chin, and it's not like we're massively better than when he was first asked, so it wouldn't be a gloryhunting thing.

But one of the tabloids claiming he "could" chose to play for us ought to be given the same credence as every other piece of fantasy filler they churn out.