The big ol' Buddies - Jambos double header.

Hearts are a good side, but after watching both games against St Mirren they seemed to struggle to create that many meaningful chances. They must have had at least 75% possession over the 2 games but I don’t remember many occasions where it felt like St Mirrens goal was under threat, the first 20 minutes of the second half in Paisley probably the most dominant spell they had. It’s possible that’s down to St Mirrens organisation and we did defend well over the 2 games. 

Shankland is obviously the focal point of the attack, but I was more wary of Ginnelly running in behind our defence. He spent more time out wide or coming deep to collect the ball though, and on a few occasions it was him putting crosses in to the box with only a couple of Hearts players to aim for. Maybe that’s just how he plays but I was quite pleased to see him take up that role rather than playing off the last defender. 3rd should be nailed on for Hearts, definitely best of the rest outside the OF. 

I seem to remember a few seasons ago we’d have ‘trial by Sportscene’ for clear dives that the referee was conned by and that then led to a subsequent suspension for the cheats.  

Is that still a thing?

Was it maybe for penalties only?

29 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I seem to remember a few seasons ago we’d have ‘trial by Sportscene’ for clear dives that the referee was conned by and that then led to a subsequent suspension for the cheats.  

Is that still a thing?

It seems to have dissapeared which isn't a bad thing as it was a shambles. The media decided what needed looked at and everyone knows what that means.

46 minutes ago, Austin McCann said:

It seems to have dissapeared which isn't a bad thing as it was a shambles. The media decided what needed looked at and everyone knows what that means.

Kinda see what you mean, but means that, on Friday for example, Baccus has a yellow card added to his record, and the actual cheat responsible for it gets away completely free.  

22 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I think the second yellow could have been for making the ‘Specsavers’ gesture at the ref.  

Or for time wasting by holding the ball behind his back to stop Saints from taking the throw. 

Both of those in themselves were yellow card offences.  

And yet he’s in the press this morning blaming the referee for not being able to talk to him.  

Has Neilson always been such a p***k or is he getting worse?

I think he's one of these coaches who think they can 'play' referees so that they end up getting big decisions - maybe he can - who knows?

It's a bad look, though, and the use of VAR will surely lessen opportunities for that.

Edited by paranoid android

7 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I think he's one of these coaches who think they can 'play' referees so that they end up getting big decisions - maybe he can - who knows?

It's a bad look, though, and the use of VAR will surely lessen opportunities for that.

Well so far it hasn't.

So just to reopen the penalty wound... Folks showing a still from the other side aren't helping as it doesn't show the true picture.

Under current hand ball rules it probably is, but... The ball is running out of play, so not material advantage may have been a consideration? Also it would have been a very harsh penalty...

2 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

So just to reopen the penalty wound... Folks showing a still from the other side aren't helping as it doesn't show the true picture.

Under current hand ball rules it probably is, but... The ball is running out of play, so not material advantage may have been a consideration? Also it would have been a very harsh penalty...

All handball penalties are harsh unless it’s deliberate. 

2 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

Under current hand ball rules it doesn’t matter if the ball is running out of play.  

Maybe ‘paranoid’ was right and Neilson’s antics influenced both the onfield and VAR officials?

Must be some reason they made what seems to be a howler.  

4 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Is that still a thing?

Been replaced by the Vardict.

3 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

In Scotland at the minute there doesn’t seem to be a ‘current hand ball rule’, there is no rhyme or reason to any handball decision. Since the WC break the on-field referees seem absolutely petrified to make an instant call and instead leave it for VAR to intervene. The threshold for VAR to intervene is higher because they need to decide wether the referee has made a clear and obvious error, and from what I’ve seen so far the VAR officials seem reluctant to send the referee to the monitor, god knows why. 

Before the WC break we had the O Reilly hand ball given as a penalty when it brushed his arm while it was tight to his body. As much as I don’t want to admit it because Celtic fans, that should never have been a penalty. Tanser had a penalty given against him in Paisley when a cross was blootered at him from about 5 yards away and it hit his arm behind his back. There was a few more instances of ridiculous handball decisions resulting in penalties before the WC break, 1 or 2 every weekend. Now similar handball situations are just being ignored even though we have VAR, who should be asking the referees to look at the monitor when instances like Friday night or the Goldson handball occur. 

I do think the handball on Friday night would have been harsh, but going by the precedent set before the WC I was sure it was going to be reviewed by VAR and given as a penalty. 

The refs & VAR officials seem likely to be of the opinion that a deflected ball, with a good chance of reaching an attacker in the box, is a penalty; it doesn't have to be deemed deliberate either

The Rowles incident was nothing, no intent, nothing deliberate and hand moving away from the ball

Quite similar to the Smith incident at Tynecastle in the Shankland hattrick game

VAR is getting better ATM and it got this decision correct

16 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

The important part for me is, regardless of all the moaning from St Liedown fans on here, the final score was 1-0 to Hearts and3 points in the bag 

Fs don't get them started on the St Liedown patter again, they're insufferable enough as it is.

47 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

The important part for me is, regardless of all the moaning from St Liedown fans on here, the final score was 1-0 to Hearts and3 points in the bag 

You are of course right.

Looking at all the amateur Gorgie refs trying to justify why VAR and the officials did them a favour is quite funny, glad to see one admit they didn't care so long as it got them the three points.