The big ol' Buddies - Jambos double header.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

I don’t think intent is part of the rules any more?

Certainly the three VAR have given against us weren’t deliberate.  

Deliberate act in terms of placing your hands in an unnatural way i mean.  Barely any handballs are what you'd call deliberate in terms of actually meaning to handle it.

The handball rule has been shambolic this season, and i totally understand why folk want a penalty for it.  Not going to say i think it's a penalty though.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

I think the second yellow could have been for making the ‘Specsavers’ gesture at the ref.  

Or for time wasting by holding the ball behind his back to stop Saints from taking the throw. 

Both of those in themselves were yellow card offences.  

And yet he’s in the press this morning blaming the referee for not being able to talk to him.  

Has Neilson always been such a p***k or is he getting worse?

Yellow card offences. Christ on a bike. 

If we follow your  hysterical take, then all manager will sit in the stands forevermore. Not like Robinson doesn't like to get into a good rammy with the opposition bench in every match, or gets away with being out his area on the touchline/pitch all the time.

I couldn't care personally as he's an amusingly animated wee p***k, but following your logic consistently he should be yellow carded twice, no?

27 minutes ago, Lionel Logue said:

Yellow card offences. Christ on a bike. 

If we follow your  hysterical take, then all manager will sit in the stands forevermore. Not like Robinson doesn't like to get into a good rammy with the opposition bench in every match, or gets away with being out his area on the touchline/pitch all the time.

I couldn't care personally as he's an amusingly animated wee p***k, but following your logic consistently he should be yellow carded twice, no?

Are you seriously saying that you think a manager can make the specsavers gesture at a ref, or stop the opponents restarting play by withholding the ball isn’t a yellow card?

I don’t think that’s a hysterical take at all.  

A manager saying the ref is blind, and using a visual gesture to do it so the whole crowd can see, is surely a yellow?

49 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Are you seriously saying that you think a manager can make the specsavers gesture at a ref, or stop the opponents restarting play by withholding the ball isn’t a yellow card?

I don’t think that’s a hysterical take at all.  

A manager saying the ref is blind, and using a visual gesture to do it so the whole crowd can see, is surely a yellow?

What do you think would happen at Parkhead or Ibrox?

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

I'm genuinely not having a go at you.

You've got a lot of good footballers in your team, who, when they're gelling, pass the ball about extremely well. However, I couldn't pick out any of your players that have a "hard as nails" side to them

Oh you're right, we are lacking a bit of steel at times. Cammy Devlin is probably the nearest thing we have and he's far more 'nippy wee b*****d' than 'midfield enforcer'.

I was just pointing out that the games in Italy and Turkey weren't won or lost because of the relative competitiveness or hardness of ours and their players but by the fact they had much, much better footballers in their sides. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Hearts are in that bracket, but if you're good enough you don't need someone 'hard as nails'.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I think the second yellow could have been for making the ‘Specsavers’ gesture at the ref.  

Or for time wasting by holding the ball behind his back to stop Saints from taking the throw. 

Bizarrely, got the first one, the ref pointed at the line on the pitch, as though he were booking Neilsen for leaving his technical area. If that catches on, no manager will ever see the end of a game from pitch side.

16 hours ago, Arnie said:

Aberdeen shite ? We handed yer arses on plate at pittodrie 

When we still had half a team out and had just played in Europe - what a side! Just think, back then you were all thinking you'd be finishing third!

8 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

That's what happens when you pay for players who poses better skill. Someone will be more likely to pop up and score. That's how football works.

Oh no, we'll get beaten by glamour clubs with several times our turnover again? What fun that'll be for all the other clubs in Scotland that were too shite to qualify yet again.

While generating another £5m for the privilege, putting us even further ahead of 'the rest' than we're already becoming. A nice platform to keep building from.

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

If we had you rattled, then better teams than us, like the ones that handed your arses to you on plate in Europe this season, will outcompete you all over the pitch.

It's just an observation. I'm sure you'll sign some players that have a backbone for next season.

Oh no, teams like Fiorentina might give us a bit of a paddling. How will we cope if that happens? Then again, if we keep qualifying, the more likely it is we will be more competitive.

Edited by Elixir

Yeah, even in my embittered state of the past nearly 24 hours, I reckon 'You'll get battered by better teams when you play in Europe' is a bit of a weird flex to be honest.

I'd love a situation where we were playing middling to good sides in European competition, even if they were regularly showing us up a bit.

Fact is, Hearts are clearly the third best team in the country and we more than hung with them over the two matches there so I'm happy with the progress we're making.

We've had plenty of 3-0, 4-0 and 4-1 shoeings at Tynecastle over the last 15 or so years by much worse Hearts teams than this. So the fact that we we should have been out of sight at home last Saturday after the first half, and then should have grabbed something at the end up last night despite being pretty badly depleted shows that we're very adept at what we do and to be honest, is cause for optimism that there's not a single team in the league we can't hang with if we stick to our game plan.

Edited by djchapsticks

Seen someone say we lack a bit of steel, but honestly don't think we do. We maybe lack a hard man, but our desire and spirit is very evident. We've won games with 10 men, came back from losing positions when we've suffered brutal injuries and generally don't give up at all. Even last night previous Hearts teams probably would've chucked in an equaliser. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

Seen someone say we lack a bit of steel, but honestly don't think we do. We maybe lack a hard man, but our desire and spirit is very evident. We've won games with 10 men, came back from losing positions when we've suffered brutal injuries and generally don't give up at all. Even last night previous Hearts teams probably would've chucked in an equaliser. 

This in spades. This Hearts team, whatever valid criticisms people may have, have more than answered the bottle questions over the last few months.

Outwith the OF, there isn't a team close to as good as Hearts under adversity. If anything, last night is just the latest example.

People roll their eyes etc when we bring it up, but Hearts' position at the moment is great, but it's even better when you consider that we've had nothing like our best side on the park pretty much all season. Doubting this side's fight and character is utterly mad.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

I completely agree. If we finish 3rd then the mental toughness shown up to now will be the story of our season.

We've gained a total of 12 points from games where we were either losing, or received a red card at 0-0/0-1. On the other hand, we've only dropped points from a winning position against a non-OF team once (the 1-1 with Hibs in August). That's pretty exceptional, especially considering some of the laughable defensive selections we've had to put out.

At the same time, I'm reluctant to congratulate ourselves too much before three massive games which could completely change the complexion of the season. We don't seem to like putting games to bed early on and have been made to suffer in just about all our wins this season. Winning so many close/closeish games definitely shows bottle, but if you continually sail close to the wind you're likely to get caught out a few times. 

I also still think our defence frequently struggles with physical/savvy strikers like Main or Fletcher but we haven't really been punished for it yet. Maybe that's what was meant by a lack of steel.

8 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

And yet he’s in the press this morning blaming the referee for not being able to talk to him.  

Has Neilson always been such a p***k or is he getting worse?

Neilson’s interview on Sportscene tonight was excellent. He “was just pointing out that the free kick was taken 20 yards away from the correct spot” for his first yellow, and he didn’t do anything for his second. No mention that he was acting like a 10 year old, which was apt in that he felt the referee should be refereeing matches with 10 year olds, in doing the specs sign with his hands, and that he held on to the ball to delay restarting the game. Robbie did nothing wrong.

4 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Yeah, that was me and I didn't put it very well. Just meant we lack a midfield enforcer in the Adao, Brellier etc mode (though equally I'm not sure we need one) and, with Halkett out, a really tough defender.

However, there's no doubting the bottle of the team.

Edited by lennyzer0

11 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Yeah, that was me and I didn't put it very well. Just meant we lack a midfield enforcer in the Adao, Brellier etc mode (though equally I'm not sure we need one) and, with Halkett out, a really tough defender.

However, there's no doubting the bottle of the team.

Also, no doubting the bottle of the VAR officials. 

Time to move on now for me.

A big week ahead with Celtic at Parkhead, where obviously these decisions will obviously be evened out. 

Then to a routine pumping of Dundee in the Scottish Cup.

I'm pretty sure the next time we face the diet H**s if it matters,  we'll win.